SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
thrax
thrax is on a distinguished road

Default SL2 Fuel Filter

Ok. So I'm a total moron. I think I know where the fuel filter is, but have absolutely no idea what it looks like. Can anyone help me? And if it's not too much to ask, how about some instructions on how to change it out?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thrax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thrax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thrax is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
the_new_raceman
the_new_raceman is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: SL2 Fuel Filter

Well its just under and back from the drivers seat. Its a small cylinder with 2 lines in/out of it. Just pry off(but dont break) the lil clips on the lines. Make sure you relieve the fuel pressure by pulling the fuel pump fuse and letting the car run till it dies BEFORE you remove the lines...it makes for a bad day with fuel in your eyes. Pull off the old filter and replace with new. Put the fuse back in and turn the key to the spot BEFORE start...ACC. You should hear the pump prime and re pressurize. It might take a couple starting attempts to get her to go.

If you dont like the tires ur on...change em...now how does that apply to life??? think about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_new_raceman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_new_raceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the_new_raceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 12:54 PM   #3
thrax
thrax is on a distinguished road

Hey Thanks!! I've been searching the net for the last couple hours trying to get that information. I'm glad I found this forum. I'll probably be here for a while.

Thanks again for the info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thrax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thrax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 08:00 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

91'-97' fuel filters are on the drivers side, below the brake booster, down low where the firewall meets the space frame rail. Silver/gold can looking thing about 4 inches long by 2.5 inches in diameter with a fuel line running in one side and out the other. Remove the driver's side wheel and plastic splash guard for easier access.

98'-02' fuel filters are back by the gas tank. Driver's side mounted to the inside of the frame. Similiar in appreance, but have THREE lines going into/out of it.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
the_new_raceman

1998 SC2

Crap i thought it'd be in the same place as my 98 sc2...sorry

If you dont like the tires ur on...change em...now how does that apply to life??? think about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help the_new_raceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2005, 11:34 PM   #6
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrax
Ok. So I'm a total moron. I think I know where the fuel filter is, but have absolutely no idea what it looks like. Can anyone help me? And if it's not too much to ask, how about some instructions on how to change it out?

Thanks
hey I like your ID- look out for osmosis jones! in your member info, put down what car you have- helps us w/ giving info. the filter chage is real easy. just make sure you get the little plastic tool that is supposed to come with it. I thought it was the coolest little setup.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #7
the_new_raceman

1998 SC2

...i hated the setup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2005, 08:30 PM   #8
Shinner
Shinner is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_new_raceman
Make sure you relieve the fuel pressure by pulling the fuel pump fuse and letting the car run till it dies BEFORE you remove the lines...
No relief valve on the fuel rail? I've never looked....might be time to change the fuel filter.

Slan,

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shinner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shinner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:23 PM   #9
the_new_raceman

1998 SC2

I think there is...im not at home and my book is 5 hours away...ill look when i get home tomorrow night and post if someone doesnt beat me to it. But the way i told is part of the fuel relief process...clears the fuel out of the lines so you dont take a fuel shower.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2005, 09:07 AM   #10
Shinner

1999 SL2

Quote:
I think there is...im not at home and my book is 5 hours away...ill look when i get home tomorrow night and post if someone doesnt beat me to it. But the way i told is part of the fuel relief process...clears the fuel out of the lines so you dont take a fuel shower.
checked in my Haynes manual...there is, though like you said, pulling the fuel pump fuse is part of the procedure.

Slan,

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Shinner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2005, 12:07 AM   #11
the_new_raceman

1998 SC2

Knew it LOL so where is the valve and how do you relieve the pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2005, 12:45 AM   #12
Shinner

1999 SL2

Quote:
Knew it LOL so where is the valve and how do you relieve the pressure.
on the fuel rail...I had a quick look but my wife only just had gotten home so the engine bay was pretty hot. Looked like it might be on the right end (driver's side of the car)

Slan,

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-06-2005, 12:52 AM   #13
bigc791
Advanced Member
bigc791 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

pull the fuel pump relay and run the car til it dies u will relive the pressure and not get gas all over
Carmen

1998 2.4L swapped Plymouth neon is my ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigc791's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigc791 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigc791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:05 AM   #14
the_new_raceman

1998 SC2

^^^i already posted that...i meant from the valve,^^^

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-07-2005, 03:50 PM   #15
cris_thomas
Advanced Member
cris_thomas is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1995 SC2

Step by step instrcutions with pictures for the 98-02 fuel filter are posted here

http://www.cristhomas.com/cars/FuelF...lterHowTo.html

- Cris Thomas
SPOC New England
http://www.spocne.org

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cris_thomas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cris_thomas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cris_thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #16
Shinner

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris_thomas
Step by step instrcutions with pictures for the 98-02 fuel filter are posted here

http://www.cristhomas.com/cars/FuelF...lterHowTo.html
Nice writeup Chris....only thing I would add is to throw a couple of cinder blocks or 4x4s under the body/frame in case either the jack or stands slip.

Didn't realize the filter is good for 100K...think I can put off changing the one in my wife's car for a while...she's got about 78K on it I think.

Slan,

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!