SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
slickdonkey
slickdonkey is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
Default Cheap Chinese rotors?

I seem to remember reading a thread on here a while back where someone had recommended some dirt-cheap Chinese rotors. Has anyone used these? How did they hold up? And where can I get them?

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slickdonkey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slickdonkey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slickdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
cris_thomas
Advanced Member
cris_thomas is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Cheap Chinese rotors?

Yup, use them all the time $8 each. They hold up as well or better than the dealer part. Just go to your local Auto parts store and ask for the cheapest rotors they have. If those aren't cheap enough go to another store.

- Cris Thomas
SPOC New England
http://www.spocne.org

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cris_thomas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cris_thomas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cris_thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
kev-inc
kev-inc is on a distinguished road

AKA "white box" rotors, i have used the cheapest rotors at my local autozone and they work fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kev-inc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kev-inc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kev-inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Do NOT buy those $17 Wearever rotors from Advanced Auto Parts unless you like replacing rotors as often as you change motor oil. They are disposable garbage. I got them once and will never do that again. UBP rotors from Murrays are like $23 each and are much better and last longer.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 06:43 PM   #5
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

What is the typical warranty of the CCRs? Does anyone make a "lifetime"
rotor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:05 PM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
Do NOT buy those $17 Wearever rotors from Advanced Auto Parts unless you like replacing rotors as often as you change motor oil. They are disposable garbage. I got them once and will never do that again. UBP rotors from Murrays are like $23 each and are much better and last longer.

Sorry, but that observation may be more due to your driving habits than anything else. The Wearever "Cheap Chinese" Rotors from Advance Autoparts have been on all 4 axles (4 wheel disk) of my personal 97' SL2 for nearly 3 years now with no problems what so ever. The front set on my daughter's 95' SL1 outlasted 2 sets of brake pads and were still on the car when it was traded two years ago. And this is in Maine, land of salted roads every winter. I continue to both use and strongly recommend them.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:20 PM   #7
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

you mean everybody doesn't brake hard from 80-90 mph every 40-45 seconds for 20-30 minutes at a time? with carbon-kevlar brake pads that have a .46 mu

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 11:41 PM   #8
timmu
timmu is on a distinguished road

i do! for bout 35 mile each way on farm roads..mmm fun ...now my car wont start ...dang! but when i had ceramic pads chinee rotors were no good so i went back to semi-metallic and they hold up ok fer now. seems to me you have to match your rotor to the pad you want and your driving style oh yeah and your wallet!lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to timmu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help timmu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
timmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:53 AM   #9
1993SC2
Advanced Member
1993SC2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

I don't trust that foregin cheep crap, get something decent at least (think audi) if you go foregin stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:35 AM   #10
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

I'm fairly hard on my brakes as well but continue to run the cheap white box rotors. I went with OEM at one point, and paid a lot more money for them only to find they warp just as quickly. Since then I just run the white box rotors, and change them every 6-12 months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Applefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:40 AM   #11
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

I use the cheapies from AutoZone and I drive the piss outta my SL2. So far, no problems with warping like the stock ones. When I did the brakes on my 95, all four rotors and four sets of pads cost me $90.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:32 PM   #12
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

I bought a set last time I did my brakes just to have an extra set. That way the next time I do my brakes I can have the odd set turned before hand and avoid the lengthy downtime required to turn rotors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:34 PM   #13
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1
lengthy downtime required to turn rotors.
They should be able to do it withina few hours, or even while you wait. This is how it was in the past with other rotors I've had turned.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:15 PM   #14
ttreibel
Advanced Member
ttreibel is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe
2002 SL1

I don't think they are "CHEAP" they are inexpensive and and better made than the OEM ones. With my 2 new Saturns both have had front brake warping issues before the bumper to bumper ran out.

One note Saturn rotors are very picky about using a torque wrench to tighten the lugs, unfortunately many tire shops don't spend the 5 minutes required to do this procedure. One set of rotors got warped this way when the winter tires went on, so now on I take care of my own tire changes and rotations for all my vehicles.

1995 SL1 oil burner school commuter looks nice...1997 SL1 Gold 5-speed with new junk yard wheels and tires just got 40.4 MPG....2002 SL1 sometimes 45 MPG on a spring highway drive

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ttreibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ttreibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ttreibel is offline   Reply With Quote