SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #1
lownslow
lownslow is on a distinguished road

Default after market tach install

i recently purchased an autometer 5" tach with an external shift light, i have one proplem. the green wire coming of the tach goes to the tach signal wire. so i looked up my car on my omega wiring disc we have at the body and performance shop i work at. it said that it that the tach signal wire is a white wire located at the pcm. so i took the top part of the dash off so i can access the pcm, but there is four white wires. i know that the green wire cannot get connected to twelve volt source,which three of the wires did. i connected the green tach wire to the white pcm wire that i thought was correct, but the tach is not working proporly.when i rev the car,the factory tach will be for example at 1500 rpm. now the autometer tach will only read 500 rpm. that is where i am having problems. i wanted to know if i have the right white wire or if i dont do i need to connect it to another one of the 3 white wires on the pcm so the tachs read somewhat similar. or it could be possible the diagram i used was wrong. if so, i need to know what wire is the tach signal wire. any help at all would greatly be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lownslow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lownslow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2005, 05:10 PM   #2
casper saint
casper saint is on a distinguished road

1993 SW2
Default Re: after market tach install

Most aftermarket tacs have a button on the back to switch from 4, 6, and 8 cyls being that you at least get a signal you should probaly check to see if it is switch to 4 cyl instead of 8.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to casper saint's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help casper saint reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
lownslow

this particular tach doesnt have a switch to do that. instead it has two wire lumes on the back of it. you leave both of them connected for a v8, cut one of them for a v6, or cut both of them for 4cly. and i did cut both. the tach does work, but it is close to 1,000 rpm off verses the factory one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lownslow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-19-2005, 02:50 PM   #4
cris_thomas
Advanced Member
cris_thomas is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1995 SC2

Call Autometer. Their tech support is top notch and will help you through your install.

Alternatively do a search here. There is a big long post here somewhere from when I installed my shift light a few years ago. I seem to remember tapping into the white (or was it green?) wire that came out of the ignition modules.

- Cris Thomas
SPOC New England
http://www.spocne.org

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cris_thomas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cris_thomas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
lownslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cris_thomas
Call Autometer. Their tech support is top notch and will help you through your install.

Alternatively do a search here. There is a big long post here somewhere from when I installed my shift light a few years ago. I seem to remember tapping into the white (or was it green?) wire that came out of the ignition modules.
thanks dude. ill definately have to try that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!