SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 04:36 AM   #1
Red97sc2
Advanced Member
Red97sc2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Broken Bolt - TB

I recently acquired a bored out TB for my 97 SC2. The only problem with it was one of the bolts attached to it was broken off. The pic below shows which bolt was broken:

Now, I hope I didn't mess things up BUT, I tried to drill it out with a bit that was about the same size. Before I knew what was going on I had drilled off to one side and started making another hole right next to where the bolt was. I didn't go all the way through. I just made another hole right next to the broken bolt.

Is there anything I can use to fill in the hole(s) I've made and re-tap a new hole for another bolt? I've heard about "Steel Stick" but I don't know if that's good for this application as, I believe the TB is aluminum, correct? If so, is there something else I could use?

Thanks!

P.S. Thanks to "emailer33" for the pic!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red97sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red97sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Broken Bolt - TB

Bah, stick steel it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSaturnKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
Red97sc2
Advanced Member

2001 SL2
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSaturnKid
Bah, stick steel it.
I was hoping it would be something simple like that. Should I use something that is just for Aluminum or something universal like JB Weld?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Red97sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 06:56 PM   #4
TheSaturnKid
Master Member

1997 SC2

ooo Id use jb weld, that stuff is awesome.

but only fill it after you drill out the correct hole, not your own lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #5
Red97sc2
Advanced Member

2001 SL2
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
ooo Id use jb weld, that stuff is awesome.

but only fill it after you drill out the correct hole, not your own lol.
Sooo, make a mess of the holes, drilling out the old one in the process, then fill it in with JB Weld, and re-tap.

Now, about tapping: Can I just use a small bit, drill a new hole, then just screw in a new bolt, making the threads as I screw it in or actually "tap" the new hole?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
TheSaturnKid
Master Member

1997 SC2

I dont know there. But what you said is what I would try, but you know me, I have a BFH for all purposes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-13-2005, 07:09 PM   #7
Red97sc2
Advanced Member

2001 SL2
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
I have a BFH for all purposes
And I don't mind breaking things when the going gets tough. Maybe we should be into demolishin derbys....Ramming and breaking other cars for a living....Hahh

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-13-2005, 07:59 PM   #8
schultp
schultp is on a distinguished road

Take it to a machine shop. They'll give you a quote on fixing it up right. And, it won't cost you that much.

What I would do (and what the machine shop will likely do) is to remove the old bolt first. Then, fill with JB Weld (or they may fill with Aluminum or compatible metal). Then, drill and tap so that a Heli-coil can be inserted.

While JB Weld is a great product I would not simply tap this. If the TB is going to be removed occassionally the tapped hole may lose its threads...that is why I would Heli-coil it. You don't want to go through this again.

If you really want to do it yourself then take a look here:

Broken bolt removal

The key to bolt removal is to drill out the _CENTER_ of the bolt with a smaller sized drill bit. Then, use a bolt extractor to grip the bolt remnant and unscrew it. (In the above link they use a left handed drill bit instead of a bolt extractor).

Another method (if there is a jagged fragment of bolt to allow) is to use a small chisel or screw driver and hammer at an angle to start spinning the bolt so it unscrews.

I've used these various methods with success.

If you drill the center of the bolt the key is to grind the surface flat and then punch the _EXACT_CENTER_ of the end so that when you drill you are drilling a smaller hole that isn't offset. This is important because if you use a bolt extractor and it is off center you may end up placing uneven torque on the bolt extractor and then break this off. Then you have a broken bolt with a broken bolt extractor inside of it! BTDT!!

The machine shop is the best option IMHO. And, the cost won't be that much.

Good luck

Paul.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to schultp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help schultp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread