SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Wheel bearings

Kid had abs light for driver rear bearing. And noisy pass rear bearing. Grr. Ordered 2 bearings online on 10/22 at noon. Were delivered on 10/24 and started repair at 430pm. Done at 610 pm. Cleared code and no light. Woohoo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2019, 06:00 AM   #2
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Wheel bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
Kid had abs light for driver rear bearing. And noisy pass rear bearing. Grr. Ordered 2 bearings online on 10/22 at noon. Were delivered on 10/24 and started repair at 430pm. Done at 610 pm. Cleared code and no light. Woohoo.
that was really fast, those bearings get to where they're practically welded in there.
what brand did you get?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL2 Ride's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL2 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:37 AM   #3
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

No name china junk. I use the bolt/nut trick to press off the rear bearings. Quite easy. And drums are new too. So I am real familiar with job. I donít even remove any brake hardware. Done 4 bearings this yr as I have gone thru 3 equinoxes and they have same brake parts. If cheap bearing fails, I will just throw on another one. Last month my 3 day shipping turned into 6 days and I told seller I wanted to return it so they said keep it and itís free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
SL2 Ride
SL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura aboutSL2 Ride has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
No name china junk. I use the bolt/nut trick to press off the rear bearings. Quite easy. And drums are new too. So I am real familiar with job. I donít even remove any brake hardware. Done 4 bearings this yr as I have gone thru 3 equinoxes and they have same brake parts. If cheap bearing fails, I will just throw on another one. Last month my 3 day shipping turned into 6 days and I told seller I wanted to return it so they said keep it and itís free.
I'm not familiar with that trick. can you give me a rundown on how that works?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL2 Ride reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

knock out 2 wheelstuds from flange. put in 6" bolt with nut on backside of flange. hold nut and turn bolt till it pushes against the backing plate. it will be very close to bearing flange and metal is fairly strong here. you could put a washer/shim where the bolt pushes against backing plate if it starts to deform. i usually use 2 bolts side by side on flange. if you are steady the bolts wont try and push at an angle. you could even use 3 bolts but than the brake hardware gets in the way. though removing the shoes is not a big deal
ive done 3 headgasket jobs in last yr and i have 54 5-6" head bolts. use the lugnuts from wheel. they are same thread
i found a seller online that had the bolts for $1 with free shipping. woohoo

Last edited by Cavell; 10-28-2019 at 11:34 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-28-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
SL2 Ride

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
knock out 2 wheelstuds from flange. put in 6" bolt with nut on backside of flange. hold nut and turn bolt till it pushes against the backing plate. it will be very close to bearing flange and metal is fairly strong here. you could put a washer/shim where the bolt pushes against backing plate if it starts to deform. i usually use 2 bolts side by side on flange. if you are steady the bolts wont try and push at an angle. you could even use 3 bolts but than the brake hardware gets in the way. though removing the shoes is not a big deal
ive done 3 headgasket jobs in last yr and i have 54 5-6" head bolts. use the lugnuts from wheel. they are same thread
i found a seller online that had the bolts for $1 with free shipping. woohoo
Thanks! I'll have to try that when the inevitable happens on my Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #7
Northerner
Northerner is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Good thing I found this thread as I'm like 99% sure that is the noise coming from the rear of my 2004.

Questions I have:

I need to cut cost so the less money I have to put into my truck, the better. That said, I don't think I want to use Chinese - I want some sufficient enough - this is under the premise that I am going to be keeping/driving this truck for hopefully another 5 years.

- What is the "BEST" brand I can get that will be expected to last forever, but not the most expensive? RockAUto shows this listing: https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+assembly,1636

- can I get away with doing only one rear wheel bearing? or is the procedure ALWAYS do both at the same time?

- how do I know if my Vue has rear ABS or not?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Northerner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Northerner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:42 PM   #8
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

just assume it does have abs. and do not use the sensor if it does not. i do not think there is a big price difference
better to have it and not need it vs needing it and not having it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
just assume it does have abs. and do not use the sensor if it does not. i do not think there is a big price difference
better to have it and not need it vs needing it and not having it
Thank you sir.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Northerner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #10
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

Is a wheel bearing replacement(s) out of a novice's depth, as far as me doing it myself? I've always kind of been afraid of doing a wheel bearing job. I've done alternators, starters, oil changes, brakes...things of that nature on my own, but I've always been afraid of doing a wheel bearing(s).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2019, 09:21 PM   #11
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

If you have done brake jobs it is 80% there. Unbolt 4 mounting bolts from bearing and use the bolt method. Itís getting the rusted bearing out of the knuckle that everyone fights with. The rear drum bearing is easier than front as the front knuckle does not have a real good place to push the long bolts against. But if you keep at it, it will work

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2019, 11:40 PM   #12
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

I bought two on rockauto. Think I'll just pay the pro to do it. Looking like labor will be around $150 per side. Hoping it's just one side, snd I'll return one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Once drum was off, I bet it took me 15 min to get bearing out. It was real easy. Is yours awd? Drive shaft requires 1-3/16 axle nut socket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #14
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Once drum was off, I bet it took me 15 min to get bearing out. It was real easy. Is yours awd? Drive shaft requires 1-3/16 axle nut socket.
I don't believe any of the 2.2s are AWD. Mine is front wheel drive only.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!