SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2019, 01:23 AM   #1
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2
Wrench Shifter not going to middle?

Hey all,

At the beginning of summer, I did a manual swap, and as some may remember, I bought aftermarket shifter cables to save time. Well, I've never paid attention to shifters ability to go back to centre (between 3rd and 4th) until I went to the junkyard the other day and played with manuals there. They felt so much stiffer and had much more force when going moving it from the centre to the left and sprang back to centre when not in gear.

I thought it may be the shift cables, but a Saturn in the junkyard had it's shifter cables being held on by duct tape and I could move the plastic bushing with half a centimetre of wiggle room and it still felt better than my car, so is it something else?

Already attempted to lub up the pivot points on the shifter, greased up the middle shifter ball (above the bushing), checked the shift tower for play, and verified that the cables are secure in the firewall.

I know this topic gets beaten to death here but looking at other posts I couldn't seem to relieve the issue.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: Shifter not going to middle?

There is a thread on the spring that returns the shifter to the middle. Someone wanted a picture and somebody found one. Is your spring weak/broken/not installed correctly?

Or, buy one of the good junkyard shifters.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Shifter not going to middle?

There are also a couple springs out inside of the transmission selector tower so to get the right info you need to be more specific.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote