SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2019, 12:13 PM   #1
Tyson
Tyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Cutting fuel lines

Can I cut 2 feet of fuel line by right rear tire and replace it with rubber hose? And if so how?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Cutting fuel lines

Are your fuel pipes resembling mine? http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222339.

The larger pipe was fine although it looks worse overall. The smaller vent pipe corroded right thru at the bracket mount and split as I removed the assembly. Rockauto replacement was the way I went. Others found clean junk yard replacements. I never thought of cutting and splicing in rubber hose but it may be possible as long as you realize this mod may have pitfalls.

Cutting the larger pipe to fit a rubber hose to slip onto two remaining pieces has its hazards. You'll have to find fuel compatible hose (rockauto states 2" inside diameter) and not just plain rubber because non compatible hose will break down from fuel and disintegrate into the tank to clog the fuel sock - the primary fuel filter before its pumped into an external fuel filter near the area. Fuel resistant hose at least 2 inches in diameter will fit tightly over rusted pipe (sanded down as smooth as possible and lubed with oil or dishwashing detergent to slide on). The next problem is if the pipe is cut to remove the bracket mount. If the bracket mount is removed along with the pipe, you'll have to come up with a way to either reuse the mount or create a new one as a clamp around the rubber hose and mount it to the chassis. Galvanized metal used as straps outdoors or some thin gauge stainless band clamp with metal to serve as a hole for mounting to chassis. Stainless worm clamps should do for clamping rubber hose over rigid pipe.

The same efforts goes to cutting and splicing fuel resistant small diameter hose for the vent line. Both can be cut with a plain hack saw. Clean out all metal shavings to prevent then from getting into the fuel tank when everything's assembled together to put back onto the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #3
Tyson
Tyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Are your fuel pipes resembling mine? http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222339.

The larger pipe was fine although it looks worse overall. The smaller vent pipe corroded right thru at the bracket mount and split as I removed the assembly. Rockauto replacement was the way I went. Others found clean junk yard replacements. I never thought of cutting and splicing in rubber hose but it may be possible as long as you realize this mod may have pitfalls.

Cutting the larger pipe to fit a rubber hose to slip onto two remaining pieces has its hazards. You'll have to find fuel compatible hose (rockauto states 2" inside diameter) and not just plain rubber because non compatible hose will break down from fuel and disintegrate into the tank to clog the fuel sock - the primary fuel filter before its pumped into an external fuel filter near the area. Fuel resistant hose at least 2 inches in diameter will fit tightly over rusted pipe (sanded down as smooth as possible and lubed with oil or dishwashing detergent to slide on). The next problem is if the pipe is cut to remove the bracket mount. If the bracket mount is removed along with the pipe, you'll have to come up with a way to either reuse the mount or create a new one as a clamp around the rubber hose and mount it to the chassis. Galvanized metal used as straps outdoors or some thin gauge stainless band clamp with metal to serve as a hole for mounting to chassis. Stainless worm clamps should do for clamping rubber hose over rigid pipe.

The same efforts goes to cutting and splicing fuel resistant small diameter hose for the vent line. Both can be cut with a plain hack saw. Clean out all metal shavings to prevent then from getting into the fuel tank when everything's assembled together to put back onto the car.
My concern is, if I cut the pipes and put new hoses on will they blow off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No pressure on the large fuel feed or the vent pipe. The main fuel tank is the non pressurized side; main tank and vent line are not pressurized because it feeds fuel to the fuel pump that pressurizes fuel sent to the fuel filter outside the tank. Once tank pump runs, normal fuel sitting in the tank is sucked into the inlet side of the pump, pressurized to 38-44 psi and sent to the fuel line towards the injector rail. Tank pressure is hardly higher than 1 or 2 psi. Remember, every time you remove the fuel cap to refuel, no large hissing sounds to tell you a large pressure is released.

Regular fuel resistant hoses and stainless clamps is all that's needed. No high pressure blow off potential.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #5
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
No pressure on the large fuel feed or the vent pipe. The main fuel tank is the non pressurized side; main tank and vent line are not pressurized because it feeds fuel to the fuel pump that pressurizes fuel sent to the fuel filter outside the tank. Once tank pump runs, normal fuel sitting in the tank is sucked into the inlet side of the pump, pressurized to 38-44 psi and sent to the fuel line towards the injector rail. Tank pressure is hardly higher than 1 or 2 psi. Remember, every time you remove the fuel cap to refuel, no large hissing sounds to tell you a large pressure is released.

Regular fuel resistant hoses and stainless clamps is all that's needed. No high pressure blow off potential.
Ok so the lines coming from where I fill up with gas going to drivers side is all good to cut. Because I only need to cut an 2 feet of small line. And you said that is the vent right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2019, 11:52 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Both fuel (large diameter pipe) and vent (small diameter pipe) are not under high pressure at any time. Although I don't recommend what you're doing, the suggestions to cut and splice in fuel resistant hoses using clamps as a temporary repair is a risk you assume for any hazards making modifications that aren't part of regular maintenance. Your choice, your risk for any mistakes made.

The large pipe is the main fuel line from fuel inlet on the side of the car to the fuel tank. The small diameter pipe is the vented fuel from the tank going to the vent solenoid mounted next to the fuel filler hole. Review the link I posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #7
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I think there is a little confusion here. What diameter are these lines you are wanting to cut?

https://www.infowars.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote