SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
umoms
umoms is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Saturn Vue Tranmission Issues

I just bought a 2003 Saturn Vue with the VTi Transmission. It is 2.2L 4-Cylinder FWD and Automatic with 111k miles

I bought it from a dealer and after driving it for 30min it wouldn't move and i got stuck on the expressway. It wouldn't move at all anymore. I waited a hour for a tow truck and got sick of waiting so I started the car and it was driving again..Although 1st gear felt it was slipping.

I got it home and parked it. The check engine light came on while driving and I got the codes

P0300 P0741 P0700

I checked the transmission reservoir and it seemed low. So i drained the transmission fluid and I went to the parts store and they told me I could use Dex/Merc transmission fluid. So i drained the old fluid and put the new one in and I drove it around the block then I lost all gears except reverse. I let it run and cool off and tried again and nothing... I tried on both cold and warm starts and I have nothing but reverse now.

After doing much research I read that I am suppose to use the Dealer CVT Transmission fluid plus additive. Which is $66 bucks for the gallon and $25 for the additive.

My question is do you think I ****ed something up by replacing the trans fluid? It seemed like it got worse. Should I drain it again and put the dealer CVT transmission fluid with the additive? Or is the Dex/Merc fluid fine?

Can i get the CVT transmission fluid+additive cheaper elsewhere?

Or am I screwed and I have to get the transmission rebuilt?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to umoms's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help umoms reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
umoms is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2003 Saturn Vue Tranmission Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by umoms View Post
I just bought a 2003 Saturn Vue with the VTi Transmission. It is 2.2L 4-Cylinder FWD and Automatic with 111k miles

I bought it from a dealer and after driving it for 30min it wouldn't move and i got stuck on the expressway. It wouldn't move at all anymore. I waited a hour for a tow truck and got sick of waiting so I started the car and it was driving again..Although 1st gear felt it was slipping.

I got it home and parked it. The check engine light came on while driving and I got the codes

P0300 P0741 P0700

I checked the transmission reservoir and it seemed low. So i drained the transmission fluid and I went to the parts store and they told me I could use Dex/Merc transmission fluid. So i drained the old fluid and put the new one in and I drove it around the block then I lost all gears except reverse. I let it run and cool off and tried again and nothing... I tried on both cold and warm starts and I have nothing but reverse now.

After doing much research I read that I am suppose to use the Dealer CVT Transmission fluid plus additive. Which is $66 bucks for the gallon and $25 for the additive.

My question is do you think I ****ed something up by replacing the trans fluid? It seemed like it got worse. Should I drain it again and put the dealer CVT transmission fluid with the additive? Or is the Dex/Merc fluid fine?

Oh no! Is there no warranty of any shape, form or fashion?

The "dealer" must have known these things are time-bombs. If they refuse to take the vehicle back - or assist with repair - you should see if your state has a "used" vehicle consumer protection clause, and if not, I'd see about filing with small claims court (assuming repair cost doesn't exceed local value for small claims .

You can find CVT fluid data in post # 3 of following thread:

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=142234

I suppose there's a minute chance the transmission could be revived with the correct fluid and additive but I wouldn't bet a toothpick on the outcome.

It also appears replacing the fluid is only slightly less complicated than a trans rebuild.

I feel so sorry for you.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
baisley
baisley is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
2003 VUE 3.0L

I am dealing with this on my other 03 Vue as well. My car does the same, it drives fine when it's cold, then it will start to slip as it warms up. The trans is shot. There is a pressure leak internally and the unit needs to be rebuilt.

Personaly, I would buy 2 gallons of the fluid and do a flush. You basically dump the existing fluid, then refil with the 4 quarts, drive the car or at least run it back and forth on the driveway several times, dump the fluid and refill one more time.

Call the dealer and tell them that the car died on the expressway and the trans is junk. There should be some sort of lemon law in your state. Dont think about fixing the car either.. a rebuilt (non saturn facility) will charge around 2600 for the rebuilt trans andadd labor on top. Saturn will charge around 5K for the job. The trans will always be a time bomb.. you'll never feel safe in it.

I am lucky as I bought my back in 04, from a wrecking yard with 11K on it. I have 108K now, it gets me to the airport with no issues, but I have no faith it in. The only thing of value in the car is a screw driver, once the car fails, I will pull the plates and call a cab!

Run away from this car... it's not worth your time or effort. Get a newer one or a V6 with the Asian trans or a manual. These are great cars, but the VTI is garbage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to baisley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help baisley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
baisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
marwanco
marwanco is on a distinguished road

Hello,
This is my experience with VTI.
I decide to change oil myself, by mistake I opened the transmission bolt and drained the whole thing into a clean pan.

When I realised that it smelled not like oil, I poored the whole thing back into transmission with a funnel, nothing happened.

And why transmission should be so sensitive to the fluids? I cant visualize how wrong fluid can damage a transmission, maybe degrade the performance,
but if flushed and replaced with proper fluid, everything must work again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marwanco's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marwanco reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marwanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
The Math God
Advanced Member
The Math God is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

sounds like your Tranny may be very close to being shot

2007 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2005 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2007 Ion 2 -- 2.2
2005 L300 -- 6 cyl

Gone but not forgotten
2003 Vue -- 105K-traded in
2000 LS 2 --140 K-totaled
1994 SL-- 100K-sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Math God's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Math God reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Math God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:20 AM   #6
spitfire22
spitfire22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by umoms View Post

P0300 P0741 P0700

Have you heard anything about what is happening with those Saturn Vues? I would take it back to the dealership and get your money back. THey have faulty transmissions in them, There is a class action lawsuit against Saturn for theses faulty transmissions. They are Saturn Vues from 2002-2006 the 4 cyl. AWD. I own one and the transmission went out. Now I am stuck with it
and getting no help from Saturn because I have 117 miles on it... Take it back they may have sold you a Lemon I think so....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spitfire22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spitfire22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spitfire22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwanco View Post
Hello,
This is my experience with VTI.
I decide to change oil myself, by mistake I opened the transmission bolt and drained the whole thing into a clean pan.

When I realised that it smelled not like oil, I poored the whole thing back into transmission with a funnel, nothing happened.

And why transmission should be so sensitive to the fluids? I cant visualize how wrong fluid can damage a transmission, maybe degrade the performance,
but if flushed and replaced with proper fluid, everything must work again.
Automatics are hydraulic devices, they are engineered to operate with fluids with certain specific properties. If you use a different fluid the transmission can slip, ship harshly, or be damaged.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote