SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Saturn-Girl
Saturn-Girl is on a distinguished road

Default Lease is UP ... DESPERATE for advice

I have a real dilemma.

My 2007 Vue lease was up in May and I've extended the lease for a few months to give me a chance to shop around and see what's out there and make a final decision to either buy the car or hand it back.

I love it and have taken care of it but the buyout is several thousand over book value and even though I know this car I would not buy any used car, even mine own without an extended warranty. At the end of the day it comes in around $16k.

So, I need some sensible advise on this, but, just realized as well that there are a few issues with the car.

1) just today noticed that someone must have back into me and smushed the edge of the trunk a little, and its affected the bumper a wee bit. There seems to be a stress fold (if that makes sense!)

2) As well, my idiot son, one day after it came off lease had the back window open and threw a cigarette out which of course flew back in and put a burn on the seat about 1/2 inches.

Are they going to charge me a fortune for this. If so, buying another care and then having to give them a whack of moolah may not make sense.

Any and all advise would be most appreciate. Kinda urgently too so I'm hoping that are still plenty of people on the board talking about stuff.

Thanks
Andrea

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Girl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Girl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #2
Saturn-Girl

Default Re: Lease is UP ... DESPERATE for advice

Oh ... drove a Jeep Compass yesterday and really liked the look of it, 4x4, AWD, its handling and safety features. It is also an '07 but with 15km less mileage.

Then I went on some chat boards and was horrified to learn that a lot of people have problems, I mean some serious, nagging issues. A lot of complaints about dealer responsiveness and fixes. I was kinda disappointed as the buy price with the same as my Vue with a 1 full year of bumer to bumper warranty that I could extend, and power train to '13.

Can anyone recommend a good car maker and model?

I've been looking at Mazda3 GT Hatchbacks and think they are great though would cost more.

Ideas?
Andrea

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Girl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #3
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn-Girl View Post
Oh ... drove a Jeep Compass yesterday and really liked the look of it, 4x4, AWD, its handling and safety features. It is also an '07 but with 15km less mileage.

Then I went on some chat boards and was horrified to learn that a lot of people have problems, I mean some serious, nagging issues. A lot of complaints about dealer responsiveness and fixes. I was kinda disappointed as the buy price with the same as my Vue with a 1 full year of bumer to bumper warranty that I could extend, and power train to '13.

Can anyone recommend a good car maker and model?

I've been looking at Mazda3 GT Hatchbacks and think they are great though would cost more.

Ideas?
Andrea
Do you like the Vue? The Compass isn't a bad vehicle, its largely the same as the Caliber and the Patriot, and is relatively reliable overall. As with all cars, your experience will vary with your dealer. The engines themselves are pretty stout, if a little underpowered for a vehicle of its size. People seem to have issues with leaky moonroofs on them.

There's some great offerings out there on the market now. The CX7 is nice and now comes with the non turbo'd weenie engine, and Hyundai and Kia have just brought out 2 great SUVs (Sportage and Tucson). The Nissan Rogue isn't terrible either for a cheap little ute that's not horrible to drive.

How many miles are on your Vue? What options and such? Do you like it? There's lots of stuff out there that's pretty nice, and can be had for not too much. All depends what you're looking for and what you liked/disliked about your Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Saturn-Girl

I really like the Vue. Have not problems with it at all. Had some warranty work done but the dealer was amazing. Drove me home while they did the work and picked me up. Didn't cost me a penny.

It is out of date and to spend that much money on a car with 53k (still relatively low I know), with no 4x4, AWD or some of the more current safety features seems like a lot. I love the moonroof and wouldn't ever buy a car without it now. Mine is not the top of the line. It was the last manual in Canada so I didn't get the colours or features I wanted but I didn't want an auto and had to put in an after-market roof which I didn't care about except it did cost more without the great sound system, side curtains etc.

I drive stick so I don't need anything powerful because I can control how much I need when I need it. Its got spunk out of stops when I'm not being lazy and has good highway speed.

I've become really fond of the Mazda3 GT Hatchback. Its a sexy beast and has all the latest stuff so it won't go out of date and I don't really need a lot of stuff anyways. I don't care about MP3 etc. Fine looking car, has all the bells and whistles and with the maker you know you can drive it into the ground. I'm not sure that can be said with a Saturn.

If I want a spunky little thing I'd buy a second car when I had the money. I just want to drive something until I can't and hopefully that will be around 150 - 200km.

So, what do you think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
Saturn-Girl

Oh, I have a line on a '09 Mazda3 GT with ALL the bells and whistles including 6 years of bumper to bumper warranty left (which I can extent to 200km), lifetime rust and wheels, and a set of winters for $19,500.

The bugger is that effective July 1st in Canada there is a 13% tax on used cars!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
Vue in Ontario
Vue in Ontario is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn-Girl View Post
The bugger is that effective July 1st in Canada there is a 13% tax on used cars!!
There has always been a 13% tax on used cars purchased at a dealer..... it's the 8% Provincial tax and the 5% GST.

The only thing that's changed is a private sale now gets both too. Prior to July 1st a private purchase only recieved the 8% tax.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vue in Ontario's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vue in Ontario reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vue in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #7
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

The Mazda3 is a nice car, many of my friends have them. But they're designed with more sporting in mind and so they do require more upkeep than your typical economy car. Very nice other than that, but a little small compared to something like the Compass, offers no AWD, And some of its electronics aren't the greatest.

Most of the issues with the Compass I've seen have been CVT related. The AWD system in the Compass is also one of the nicer part time systems that can proactively engage the AWD. The only real downside to it is that some of its interior bits feel a little cheap.

16k for a no options Vue is insane. Flat out insanity. In no way would I recommend buying it out. You could buy the same car from a dealer for much less than that.

You really should check out the Rogue, it's got an available AWD system, manual transmission, and isn't too bad on has or the wallet. A lot of the toys from the Mazda3 but more ground clearance and you can get AWD.

Outside of that, if a stick is a necessity there's not much else in a newer economy SUV with a stick. Some of the Elements have a stick and AWD, they have largely polymer bodies too. Plus being Hondas they'll really run forever, you can even run them for about a minute with water instead of oil!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2010, 06:54 AM   #8
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

As you suspected, your VUE isn't worth anything near 16k, even if it didn't have the cosmetic issues. So that's a non-starter. The Mazda 3's are nice, but it's a lot different feel than an SUV. They're also pretty fun to drive and that seems like a decent price. If you're checking out the Mazda 3, you might also take a peek at the V6 Ford Fusion.

Best,

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
Saturn-Girl

See next message ....

Last edited by Saturn-Girl; 07-15-2010 at 09:18 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Saturn-Girl

Sorry, perhaps I was misleading ... it is 16k with the extended warranty. The buyout, still above book is $12k + 13% + warranty + 13% on it. Total is between 16 - 17K.

One of the reasons I wanted something smaller is that I do not 'need' to drive lots of kids (mine and friends) and a dog around anymore.

I do have an antique business and need the hatchback to take boxes back and forth which the Mazda would do since I don't deal in furniture.

I did like the Compass but the consumer reports and chat boards scared the hell out of me. There is a car (whatever you call it) and its had one owner, no claims etc. So that's good but they wouldn't let me see the service records on this 'just off lease' car. I thought that was really strange.

It is $15k + tax with a one year bumer to bumper though, so I guess that makes me feel somewhat safe.

I am just not convinced that it is a car that you can drive into the ground which is what I'm after now, with maybe something on the side for fun at some point.

Honda and Toyota's are really expensive. I found a base Mazda for $14K from a dealer!! --- crank windows etc!!

I'll check out the one's you suggested online. I don't have dealer near me in Collingwood.

**** Does anyone know how much they charge on the return of a lease for stuff that may be wrong with the car, ie: my trunk and seat burn? That may make the decision for me!!

Don't want to buy then have to give a whack more!!

Thanks for everyone's responses, really appreciate it. Got a week and then its time to face GM - hehehe

Andrea

Last edited by Saturn-Girl; 07-15-2010 at 09:23 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Why don't you lease another new vehicle and put the decision off another 36 mos.? No way would I buy out the VUE. I like the idea of getting a new car every three years and having low payments. You keep up with technology/safety/efficiency and get rid of mechanical issues with older vehicles, plus drive a better vehicle than you might consider if you were buying. I kept vehicles long-term in the past, and my VUE is nearly eight years old, but I hope to stretch it out a couple more years (only drive it about 8K/yr), then sell/trade it and start leasing. I think many of us older types kept cars long term, but with all the technology in them now, you're driving a time bomb as far as expensive repairs are concerned. The flip side of this is to find nice three-yr-old lease turn-ins and drive them for three years before doing it again. This way the max age of the vehicle is six years, right before you get another three-yr-old. You'll have to do tires and brakes (maybe) but with any luck you'll get good used cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #12
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Am I the only one voting to KEEP the VUE?

Keep in mind everyone that the OP is in CANADA so $16,000 is more like $15,500 and cars are MUCH more expensive up there.

You mention that the VUE doesn't have AWD or 4x4 but if you've had it this long and gotten by w/o AWD or 4x4, why do you need it now?

I think there's something to be said about knowing the history of a car. I say unless you have the $$ to buy NEW, you're simply trading in your maintained car for someone elses headache.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonard1818's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Keep the VUE... Call up and haggle with them for a lower price. I'm sure you can get a 13-25% reduction in price if you work them.

Let them now that you have a solution to their problem, and you'll be glad to buy your VUE from them at the right price.

It would be in their best interest if they sell the VUE to you. Both of you will come out ahead.

I like the Jeep Patriot much better than the Compass. IMO either Jeep products are not good long term cars. The CVT "rubber band" transmission concerns me. Both are based on Mitsubishi's Lancer chassis.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
Leonard1818
Leonard1818 will become famous soon enoughLeonard1818 will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Oh yeah, forgot about the jeep thing... those jeeps are JUNK. We loaded up all of our luggage in my dad's impala (me, wife, and my parents) and headed to the airport. Once in california we got our rental... waited a little longer for a small SUV so we could fit us and our stuff... WRONG!

Got some *****ty little jeep thing that wasn't big enough for all our luggage unless it was configured one EXACT way. I couldn't believe a chevy impala sedan had more room and rode better than our crappy jeep. Granted it was a rental but still... to not even have room for 4 adults and 4 small suitcases...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leonard1818's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leonard1818 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leonard1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 PM   #15
The Math God
Advanced Member
The Math God is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

I as well think you should keep the Vue.
The 2007 is the last non-metal year.

Haggle with the dealer and get the buyout price down.
They will not be able to sell it for what they want you to pay.
Lowering the price to you is a win-win for everybody.

Get them to open their eyes and see the real world.

2007 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2005 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2007 Ion 2 -- 2.2
2005 L300 -- 6 cyl

Gone but not forgotten
2003 Vue -- 105K-traded in
2000 LS 2 --140 K-totaled
1994 SL-- 100K-sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Math God's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Math God reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Math God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #16
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I was interested in the small Jeep SUVs myself until I found out about the CVT. I will not have one for any reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
pdough
Advanced Member
pdough will become famous soon enough

2006 VUE 2.2L

My opinion is to keep what you know works if you haven't had any major problems with it. The 2.2 manual in your Vue is a reliable combo. Many have well over 100,000 miles with no major problems. No timing belts to worry about etc. Body will never rust!

Also, those repairs to bumper and seats will cost a pretty penny when you try to return it, so add that onto the cost of any new/used car you are looking at. I don't know for sure but if the bumper and lift gate are damaged, then something underneath may also be damaged so that could cost a small fortune to fix. Only way to know for sure would be to take it to a body shop for an estimate. Also, you didn't mention how many miles/ kms are on it. If its over the lease limit when you return it, you can add that onto any new car price as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdough's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdough reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #18
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
I was interested in the small Jeep SUVs myself until I found out about the CVT. I will not have one for any reason.
FWIW, it doesn't *seem* to be as bad as the CVT Saturn used. Its been in the Caliber for years without issue. Nissan also has been using CVTs without issue as did Ford. Only GM can't do CVTs (go figure).

I agree they're a bit strange feeling, but they aren't the eventual deathtraps that the VTis are. The Jeeps are available with a manual as well. I'd still prefer a normal automatic or a DSG type system myself.

I've never understood the "got by without it before" type of argument. Sure you can "get by", but its always better to do more than the minimum. And what about that one time that you can't "get by"? Who wants to have to worry about that? I live in Florida and won't settle for less than AWD. We're looking at moving to Colorado or some other cold northern state in a few years, and I'll be damned if we go there with any 2WD vehicle.

Back on topic... It all depends on what you're looking for really. A lot of people like to get the name of a car, and get the base model of it. Personally I'd rather get a loaded out version of a lower end car than a stripped down version of a higher end car.

You might want to check out the Suzuki XL7. Same platform as the Vue, a little bigger, but comes with a Japan built version of the 3.6L They also have TANKED in value, and a relatively nice reliable vehicles that can be had cheap. You also might want to look at the Mazda5, its similar to the Mazda3 but with taller packaging and a more practical interior. Its like a mini minivan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
As you suspected, your VUE isn't worth anything near 16k, even if it didn't have the cosmetic issues. So that's a non-starter. The Mazda 3's are nice, but it's a lot different feel than an SUV. They're also pretty fun to drive and that seems like a decent price. If you're checking out the Mazda 3, you might also take a peek at the V6 Ford Fusion.

Best,
Be mindful the OP is a northern neighbour. The 13% tax gave it away. With our dollar slightly devalued against Canada's, their sixteen grand is roughly $15,350 USD.

If the OP keeps the VUE, I don't believe they have to pay the leasing company for the cigarette burn and the bumper bash. That would be rolled up into the vehicle's total operating cost. Myself, I'd eat the expense and go for the Mazda3 Grand Touring, which is a fun car.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 PM   #20
Saturn-Girl

Hi all:

Well, I finally drove the Mazda3 GT Hatchback today and what a beauty. It is a 4 cylinder but too quick for me. It has really high torque and just took off like a rocket. What a beautiful beast though!! Price for a 2010 was $25K taxes with in and everything I want.

Also drove the Hyundai Tuscon in the SUV class but smaller ... LOVE IT. Sexy as hell and drives like a dream. 4 cylinder, stick too but heavier than the Mazda for the wild Canadian winters (and doesn't act like a sports car.) Price is $27K with tax in and everything I want except a moon roof which I can get after market when I want for $1300.

Think that the Hyundai Touring is a great deal at $23K with a lot that is basic to the car but seems light to me. Anyone have any experience with it, most especially in snow? More like a car thant and SUV.

I forgot to mention that I put $9K down on the Vue to lower monthlies, then $285/mth for the last three years. Can't bring myself to give them another $16K. That's $25K cash out of pocket, plus the $3K+ a year and we're talking some serious money.

I have tried to negotiate, they won't do it. They'll just take their chances and send it to auction and get whatever. If I could ever find it on a lot I'd probably get it for less than the buyout but I'd still want the extended warranty so the difference would be nominal.

My brother says that because I have a registered business I shouldn't be thinking about buying at all. Too many benefits to writing it and so many other things off.

Getting more confused by the minute!!!!!

HELP .......... ME ..........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!