SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2007, 02:11 AM   #1
captsam
captsam is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1996 SL2
Default Saturn and Delco Parts Compatibility?

I was curious, does anyone know if AC Delco parts are compatible with the Saturn S Series?

I looked up a few parts on Rock Auto I was interested in getting. I like saturnparts.net and saturnparts.com, but one can never know the final shipping charge until it's already been shipped.

I'm probably getting another Tensioner, and I was wondering if this part:

---
ACDELCO Part # 38112 {Steel Smooth/Backside (90mm x 17mm x 30mm) #88909602}
TENSIONER,DRV BELT BELT DRIVE TENSIONER; w/o FLDG ST TRAY(T8S)
---

was a compatible tensioner... since the local parts places only carry the Dayco-style tensioners. (I no longer have a Saturn Retailer close to me, at least not within 30 minutes of traffic).

---

They also have an ECTS that is Delco:

ACDELCO Part # 2131138 {#88924806}
SENSOR,ENG COOL TEMP w/o A/C MAN CONT(C60)

but again, I wasn't sure if the part is compatible with the S Series car.

I'd like a few spares of the ECTS, but with $10 minimum shipping at saturnparts.com, makes it rather a pain sometimes to get a $10 part.

----

Thanks in advance for any input!

Sam

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captsam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captsam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captsam is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2007, 04:50 AM   #2
LowSC2
LowSC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
1991 SL2
Default Re: Saturn and Delco Parts Compatibility?

I just looked at rock auto's site and the Gates tensioner looks to be closer to an OEM replacement. And the AC Delco ECTS is only $9. Worth a shot.

Jeff Silva ~ 91 SL2 - 11.809 @ 116.488mph
•Chilton & Haynes manuals are junk
•Changing the ECTS doesn't fix everything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LowSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LowSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LowSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSC2 View Post
I just looked at rock auto's site and the Gates tensioner looks to be closer to an OEM replacement. And the AC Delco ECTS is only $9. Worth a shot.
The OEM tensioner is Gates ('91-'97) but this aftermarket one is not as good, not that the OE is that great either. Delco doesn't even make some of it's own parts and if they say it's for a Saturn, it is. That tensioner for example only fits the Saturn S-series 1.9L engine, nothing else (except for a certain Mercury Marine motor, but it has a special coating ro marine use).

(I work at the Gates tensioner plant BTW )

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
brendanc
brendanc is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Take it with a grain of salt, but my 96 SL2 uses Delco parts (the alternator being one of them). Can't comment on much else though... I haven't had to replace much in the car fortunately.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brendanc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brendanc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brendanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
LowSC2
LowSC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy View Post
(I work at the Gates tensioner plant BTW )
Think you could get them to make a timing belt tensioner for the Dodge Spirit R/T and Dodge Daytona R/T Turbo-III engines?

Jeff Silva ~ 91 SL2 - 11.809 @ 116.488mph
•Chilton & Haynes manuals are junk
•Changing the ECTS doesn't fix everything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LowSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LowSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LowSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
captsam

1997 SW2
1996 SL2

According to Delco, the Tensioner is only for Saturn... so hopefully that'll check out. I would get the Gates for a few bucks less, but when I place it in my cart, it charges me an extra $7.50 for shipping... as opposed to the Delco which only upped the shipping by a quarter or so. We'll see what happens.

As for the ECTS, the Delco (2131138) apparently cross-references with the Saturn 21025106, so hopefully it'll turn out to be the exact same part. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

I was hoping to buy a PCV Valve, but the Delco Valve referenced on Rock Auto is a CV300c, which isn't the same number as the PCV Valve I pulled from my Saturns, which all have "Delco CV347c" stamped on them. So, I'll probably pass on that one. I also looked up the CV300c on the Delco website, looked to see what cars it fit, and it references to every car other than Saturn (e.g. Beretta, Corscica... etc...)

Talk to you all soon,

Sam

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help captsam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam View Post
According to Delco, the Tensioner is only for Saturn... so hopefully that'll check out. I would get the Gates for a few bucks less, but when I place it in my cart, it charges me an extra $7.50 for shipping... as opposed to the Delco which only upped the shipping by a quarter or so. We'll see what happens.
Gates aftermarket = Delco. Thay are the same thing. Delco does not make tensioners, they buy them off Gates. 38112 is a Gates part number, it's the same if you buy it at Carquest, or Napa as well.

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSC2 View Post
Think you could get them to make a timing belt tensioner for the Dodge Spirit R/T and Dodge Daytona R/T Turbo-III engines?
I sure hope so, I'm planning on stuffing one of those into my K-car one of these days after I get one and rebuild it. Gates is expanding into timing belt tensioners. Our first OE contract is with S&S Cycles. Their engines are used by West Coast Choppers among others. Aftermarket is on the way I think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 10-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #9
sparkynsmoke
sparkynsmoke is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
2005 RELAY-2
Post Re: Saturn and Delco Parts Compatibility?

Funny how the GM, Delco or other GM-related parts are supposedly not Saturn compatible. When I replaced the plastic air dam, the plastic shrink wrap said GM Performance Product. And the Saturn dealers claim that GM parts aren't compatible with Saturns, but how is that possible? I think Saturn wants to remain distanced from GM, but how can they if the new Chevy Malibu is built on the same platform as the Aura? What's next, the Astra, G6 and Cobalts built on the same platform? We already have the Sky/ Solstice, Outlook/ Acadia shared platforms, so now Saturn can stop denying they're GM compatible. That's why I love and hate my 95. I can get some parts that are redily available, yet some are that damn "dealer only" mess.

1995 SL2 - Sparky- (234K+)
1997 SW2 - Smoke- (64,817) RIP my little boy
2004 Chevy Cavalier - Gordy- (103K+)
2005 Relay 2 - Swoop or Smoke II- (48K+)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sparkynsmoke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sparkynsmoke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sparkynsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 PM   #10
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

"Delco" doesn't make anything these days.
It is purely a trade name GM uses.
GM kept the name when the Delphi parts-making divisions were sold off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delco

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:21 PM   #11
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkynsmoke View Post
Funny how the GM, Delco or other GM-related parts are supposedly not Saturn compatible. When I replaced the plastic air dam, the plastic shrink wrap said GM Performance Product. And the Saturn dealers claim that GM parts aren't compatible with Saturns, but how is that possible? I think Saturn wants to remain distanced from GM, but how can they if the new Chevy Malibu is built on the same platform as the Aura? What's next, the Astra, G6 and Cobalts built on the same platform? We already have the Sky/ Solstice, Outlook/ Acadia shared platforms, so now Saturn can stop denying they're GM compatible. That's why I love and hate my 95. I can get some parts that are redily available, yet some are that damn "dealer only" mess.
You mean G5, not G6. G6 is built on the same platform as the Aura and Malibu and SAAB 9-5. And G5, Cobalt and Astra ARE built on the same platform FYI. It would be retarded for GM not to, but they need to distinguish the cars better in some cases. But they are doing much, much better than they used to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 10-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #12
wallyjo
wallyjo is on a distinguished road

I got one from Autozone. It had a plastic wheel, so I called a mechanic friend to see if I should take it back and get a dealer part, he said that they work just fine. It has been 6 months or a year and no problems. Have fun

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wallyjo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wallyjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wallyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:33 AM   #13
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyjo View Post
I got one from Autozone. It had a plastic wheel, so I called a mechanic friend to see if I should take it back and get a dealer part, he said that they work just fine. It has been 6 months or a year and no problems. Have fun
Depends. From '98-'02 they had a plastic wheel from the factory. The part you got at Autozone was the aftermarket Dayco tensioner. Dayco was OE from '98-'02, but the OE Dayco does not retro fit the older cars, only their aftermarket does. All the Gates tensioners (OE or aftermarket) fit all S-series, and both have steel pulleys, which are a bit better. Gates used to only use steel, but now they use plastic on some applications.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Old 10-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #14
captsam

1997 SW2
1996 SL2

The parts arrived last Saturn via FedEx. The tensioner looked much like the OEM, with a metal pulley wheel. It did look quite a bit different compared to the ones that first came with the cars. The tensioner gauge is now on the same side as the pulley wheel. The older ones had the gauge at the opposite side. I installed in on Sunday, works great. So Uzzy, do the Gates look exactly like the Delco Rebadged Tensioners? I guess I should have taken a photo before I installed it. Now I'm tempted to buy another one to have as a spare... definitely worth the $60.

I had forgotten how much I hated getting at the top bolt on the tensioner.

The temperature sensor looked the least like the Saturn OEM ECTS. It is a solid brass tip, but no prep on the threads. I guess we'll have to buy some Loctite. I haven't tried installing it though, so I'm not sure if it's completely compatible with the Saturn. I'm hoping it'll work better than some of the aftermarket ones that other Saturn owners have installed (but had to remove later).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #15
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam View Post
So Uzzy, do the Gates look exactly like the Delco Rebadged Tensioners?
There are 2 Gates tensioners

OE:

Aftermarket: (the one you got)

Here are pics of some of the other aftermarket tensioners

Goodyear:

Car Quest:

AC Delco:

Four Seasons:

(are you seeing a pattern yet?)

And finally...

Dayco (also sold under a couple of other names and avaialble at Auto Zone, I think.)

There are only 4 tensioners available for these cars. They are only made by 2 manufacturers: Gates and Dayco. All of the Gates tensioners will fit every year engine. Only the Dayco aftermarket fits all year engines. The OE Dayco only fits '98+ engines.

So to answer your question, the tensioner you have is made by Gates. It is the chaper version of the OE tensioner. It is a re-badged Gates aftermarket tensioner. Actually, not even re-badged if it has 38112 on it, then it's simply re-boxed..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation