SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #1
cpyne
cpyne is on a distinguished road

Default Fuel Filter Replacement?

Hi,

I have a 2000 SL1 with 100k miles and the original fuel filter. I went to buy one at the local store and the guy told me they are around $100, very difficult to replace, and you can only get them at the dealer. I see what appears to be the fuel filter right in front of the left rear tire. The replacement procedure that is in the Chilton's book sounds pretty easy. Can anyone tell me what is really involved with changing one of these and do you really need to buy it from the dealer?

Thanks
Charlie

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cpyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cpyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cpyne is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: Fuel Filter Replacement?

I haven"t changed my filter on the 2k SL2 yet, so can't comment on the degree of difficulty, but the 2000 & up(I think), have the regulator built into them so they are more expensive than earlier models. Don't think it is that hard, just a little expensive. Also, don't think you can ONLY get at the dealer (check on line) but it is always safer to go that way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 02:51 PM   #3
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

P.S. Welcome to the board! If you do a search on fuel filters, you will find a how to link & disscusion on them

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
the_new_raceman
the_new_raceman is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Hello new charlie guy!! Yeah thats it in front of the wheel and yes you need to get it from a dealer cuz of the internal regulator inside the filter that filters other that dealer dont have.

If you dont like the tires ur on...change em...now how does that apply to life??? think about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_new_raceman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_new_raceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the_new_raceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:45 PM   #5
cris_thomas
Advanced Member
cris_thomas is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1995 SC2

Yes, the part does cost about $100 but you can find them cheaper elsewhere. I would recomend saturnparts.com.

For instruction on how to replace it I wrote a step by step guide with pics available here

http://www.cristhomas.com/cars/FuelF...lterHowTo.html

Good Luck

- Cris Thomas
SPOC New England
http://www.spocne.org

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cris_thomas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cris_thomas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cris_thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 03:58 PM   #6
homieg9999
homieg9999 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL1

I changed mine in my 92 SL1 a few years ago. It was a royal pain. If I recall correctly, it only cost me 10 bucks though. 100 bucks seems ridiculous. I think I picked it up at either walmart or just an autoparts store. When you do it you have to make sure you get the little tool that comes with it, it unhooks the plastic clamp. Remember this is all for a 92 SL1, it may have changed, but I figured if it was the same this might help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homieg9999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homieg9999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homieg9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 PM   #7
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the roughTiger is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2

The fuel filter for my 99 SL2 was $85 from my dealership. They charged $35 to install it, plus I had a 10% off coupon. It was worth it to me to have them change it. My Sentra has a fuel filter mounted on the firewall, cost $15 for a good filter. It is worth changing it myself, but a little messy. If you are a novice do-it-yourselfer like me, you may consider having the dealership change it, and avoid potential hassles. Most of the cost will be for the part. I did notice the car ran better after replacement, and that was at 90,000 miles. I do mostly stop and go. I thought early replacement may be prudent.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote