SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
rgrafton
rgrafton is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Default Brake issues..

Here's the story made short:

A/c went up in my '02 Saturn SC1. Stopped driving it for a good 5 months (it just sat and I didn't start it or anything)

About a month ago I drove it around and the brakes went to the floor and the brakes were not really stopping me, so I had to use emergency brake.

Drove it back home and tried a few things, Pumped up the brakes (they wouldn't pump up at all). Didn't see any leaks on the ground and the fluid seemed pretty full. I figured the master cylinder went up...

Drove it again the other day and parked in in my drive way uphill. Noticed a bunch of brake fluid on the ground after sitting for a little while and now noticed the level in the reservoir was low.

First question- can a master cylinder leak cause this? or does this sound more like a brake line leak? It appeared to be a leak right under the front where the master cylinder was so based on the puddle under my car... and, again, I just thought "OK, master cylinder went up, needs to be replaced"

took it to a local shop.

They called me today saying that two brake lines need to be replaced... and it would be about $440. I questioned it and I said "I didn't have any brake fluid loss while having the issue initially, are you sure it's the brake lines? The brakes went to the floor and the car wasn't stopping and brake fluid level seemed to be ok and no noticeable brake fluid on the ground." The mechanic said "well the brake lines NEED to be replaced before we can tell if there's anything wrong with the master cylinder, hopefully there is not".

Does this sound legit to you? Does it sound like the brake lines needed to be replaced? Could the brake lines have been the issue the entire time based on my symptoms? Pedal to floor, unable to pump up at all, car not stopping, brakes grabbing only a tiny tiny tiny bit when the pedal on the floor requiring use of the hand brake to stop the car.

2002 SC1 5 speed 140k miles
1994 SL 5 speed 150k miles on engine (250k+ miles on car, tranny...etc.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgrafton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Brake issues..

Which brake lines? The front hard lines, front soft lines at the caliper, rear hard lines or rear soft lines at the cylinder?

Typically the rear hard lines are the ones that corrode due to salt exposure. The front hard lines are more protected. The other thought are any of the soft flexible lines failing which may or may not leak. They may just balloon.

When the brake lines fail and leak the pedal does go to the floor and most of the time they leak fluid from the failure point particularly while under pressure.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #3
rgrafton

2002 SC1

I'm not sure which lines. but they quotes me $450 for two... hopefully that is it and no issues with master cylinder

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Seems high to me. The lines are custom made and most shops use nickle copper (NiCopp) now as it is easier to shape. The NiCopp brake lines themselves are not that expensive and they buy it in a roll. I imagine they would be replacing the flex lines and fittings as well for that price.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #5
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Definitely seems high. It is less than $50 worth of parts to replace all 4 hard lines. I've done it a few times. I am not surprised that the lines have rusted and failed.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #6
Nigey
Nigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of light

2007 AURA XE
2002 SL2

It's hard to say but given the quality of GM stainless steel brake lines, it's likely they are the culprit, I've had a rear brake line rusted through, and they are prone to rust.

And please don't drive around with faulty brakes, it's not just you on the road!

2007 Saturn Aura XE 3.5 L LZ4 V6
2002 Saturn SL2 1.9L (manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nigey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nigey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nigey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:07 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

GM stainless brake lines rusting? I've never seen stainless brake lines, the ones snaking throughout the chassis emanating from the brake master/abs unit to all four brakes. Maybe you mean stainless braided covers on rubber brake lines on each wheel hub. Perhaps a technical explanation is needed; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braide...el_brake_lines

rgrafton, if you are in doubt about your repair shop's assessment, you always have the opportunity to see for yourself. All repair shops have insurance reasons against customers being prohibited from service bays but many will overlook this when they allow vehicle owners to view a problem, especially if under a vehicle. All you have to do is ask to see the problem in person. Either a yes or no answer reply should give you a hint whether or not this shop is up front and reputable or not. The most they can do is say no due to insurance liability issues and you have the choice to trust them, drive or tow your car to another shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Stock Saturn brake lines are not stainless.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
Nigey
Nigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of lightNigey is a glorious beacon of light

2007 AURA XE
2002 SL2

D'oh for some reason I always thought they were stainless... well that explains a lot! I stand corrected

2007 Saturn Aura XE 3.5 L LZ4 V6
2002 Saturn SL2 1.9L (manual)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nigey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nigey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nigey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #10
rgrafton

2002 SC1

Got my car back. Brakes are working. They replaced two brake lines apparently? It was dark when I picked it up, so I couldn't really check.

I went out to check today and the lines from the master cylinder appear to be the original? I'm confused... Where else should I look? I didn't think the leak was from the wheel side based on the puddle in the MIDDLE of my driveway under the front of the car but I guess I was wrong?

Or maybe they just tightened something up and charged me all this money for work they didn't do???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #11
rgrafton

2002 SC1

see image
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2319.jpg (123.4 KB, 19 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #12
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Yes those hard lines do look original. Either they spliced onto the hard lines somewhere or they replaced the flex lines close to the wheels. If the latter you were way overcharged. Actually, either way I think you were overcharged regardless.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2019, 04:01 PM   #13
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrafton View Post
....A/c went up in my '02 Saturn SC1. Stopped driving it for a good 5 months (it just sat and I didn't start it or anything)...
I think you meant "ac went out and not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrafton View Post
.....About a month ago I drove it around and the brakes went to the floor and the brakes were not really stopping me, so I had to use emergency brake. Drove it back home and tried a few things, Pumped up the brakes (they wouldn't pump up at all). Didn't see any leaks on the ground and the fluid seemed pretty full. I figured the master cylinder went up...
I think you meant "I figured the master cylinder went out and not up.

I'm not sure of your recent snapshot but if its the front of the brake master cylinder with those two brake lines, they weren't replaced. Look elsewhere as you'll have to follow those two brake lines wherever they go. There may be a brake proportioning valve on the firewall where the two lines feed and four more lines go out. Do you have abs?

It's presumed your repair shop did make new lines but not in clear view until you look further under the hood or under the car by the front end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #14
rgrafton

2002 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I think you meant "ac went out and not up.

I think you meant "I figured the master cylinder went out and not up.

I'm not sure of your recent snapshot but if its the front of the brake master cylinder with those two brake lines, they weren't replaced. Look elsewhere as you'll have to follow those two brake lines wherever they go. There may be a brake proportioning valve on the firewall where the two lines feed and four more lines go out. Do you have abs?

It's presumed your repair shop did make new lines but not in clear view until you look further under the hood or under the car by the front end.
hmm yeah... went bad/went out/went up all mean that same thing to me. Now that I'm thinking about it, "went up" doesn't make much sense; however it is something my family says a lot, so I guess that's where I got it from?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #15
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I've heard, "went belly-up" to mean, "it's dead, Jim"

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm assuming 'went up' means 'went bad' but I can be wrong. English ain't practiced enuph, specelly wen spelling doesn't seam important along with propper grammer.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2019, 09:11 PM   #17
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
Yes those hard lines do look original. Either they spliced onto the hard lines somewhere or they replaced the flex lines close to the wheels. If the latter you were way overcharged. Actually, either way I think you were overcharged regardless.
I bet they spliced. That is criminal for what they charged you. I would find a new garage.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2019, 01:58 AM   #18
rgrafton

2002 SC1

So I have the invoice here.

Here is a break down:

PARTS
TUBE NUTE (BLF40C5) x2 : $29.66
UNION (CF1) x4 : $17.72
BRAKE LINE x1 : $41.25
"Shop Supplies": $26.54

LABOR
REPAIR BRAKE LINE : $231.62
BRAKE LINE CHECK : $88.00
Hazardous materials: $8.17

total $442.96 + tax

I looked up the part numbers listed for each of those parts and they are charging me for like 50 feet of brake line for god sakes. and those tube nuts I can get a pack of 5 of them for $4 but they're charging me $30. Diagnostic brake line check was not free like their website claims.

My question to you all is what should I do here? I feel like I got robbed. Like damn. Do I call them up and talk it over and question why the parts are so marked up? and why the diagnostic wasn't free? I wouldn't mind paying good money if the entire lines were replaced, but this is crazy for maybe a total of 2-3 feet of brake line.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #19
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I'd go back and insist they replace the whole line, assuming you trust them to do the job. Or, make a YouTube video and warn others.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-12-2019, 09:10 AM   #20
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

So they spliced in a section of tubing. That's really not good practice and not the most economical way of doing it either. Those 4 unions and tube nuts really drove up the parts cost and introduces future failure points. Replacing the line from front to back would be more economical and a better solution for longevity. Especially if they used the NiCopp tubing as it does not rust out. They can reuse the existing hardware.

I don't think you have much option to go back and have them redo it unless it fails. I would ask them why they chose to do it this way rather than replacing the lines from front to back using NiCopp lines.

I would definitely question the labor amount though and ask what exactly is a brake check. I'm not sure what their labor rate is but assuming it is $88/hr that is about 2.6 hours of work. That would be enough to replace the lines front to back include bleeding the lines and what not. I'd think 2.6 hours would be overstated for a splice.

If a brake check is a road test then does that mean they drove the car for an hour. That seems excessive.

There are a lot of red flags here.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

Last edited by trottida; 12-12-2019 at 09:20 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!