SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Default Attention northerners....Winter wiper blade reccomendation?

I drive about 100 miles on the highway daily.

I'd like to buy some winter blades for the Saturn. Anyone have thoughts on brand/model/beam/conventional?

I had winter blades many years ago on a vehicle and the wind would tend to lift them. This was before beam blades became a thing. I've had non-winter beam blades (cheapies) and they were not impressive.

I'll be ordering through Rockauto.... they have lots to choose from at low prices.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Attention northerners....Winter wiper blade reccomendation?

I'm running Bosch Icon Beam on the Focus, Michelin Stealth Hybrid on the Suburban and Mastercraft (now Reflex) conventional on the SL2. I have a set of Bosch Icon Beam for the Saturn that I have not installed yet. I wouldn't say any of them do a terrible job.

The conventional, the same type the car came with new, in wet snow conditions tend to get iced up and need to be cleaned before you drive the next time. Once you're all warmed up they are fine. They are the most economical and sometimes I have just replaced the rubber and keep the frame. This is my summer go to and I've left them on so far as they are not worn at all.

The beam style, in the past, I have found are not as durable. Especially when you are scraping ice and snow off the windshield. The scraper tends to be rough on them (or maybe it is the operator) and then ends pop off. They do a good job of cleaning the windshield though. They are pretty pricey in my opinion and this typically makes me go with another option. I was feeling frivolous this fall when I splurged for them for the 2 vehicles (5 blades at ~$20+ per ea).

The hybrid I bought at Costco ($9.99/ea) and I ran them on the Saturn last winter too. The price was what enticed me and they performed well. If you can get them at this price this would be my recommendation. They don't get iced up.

https://www.boschautoparts.com/en/au...n-wiper-blades
https://ca.michelin-lifestyle.com/en...-wiper-blade-1

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 11-28-2019 at 02:56 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
I'm running Bosch Icon Beam on the Focus, Michelin Stealth Hybrid on the Suburban and Mastercraft (now Reflex) conventional on the SL2. I have a set of Bosch Icon Beam for the Saturn that I have not installed yet. I wouldn't say any of them do a terrible job.
Unfortunately, Rockauto doesn't have any of those. They do have the Bosch Snow Driver, but only one side :-/

It looks like Reflex is a Canadian brand when I googled it.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #4
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

The cheap ones.

De- ice the windshield - keep the defroster on - and they all work pretty much the same.

That's 40+ years of Michigan winters and 4 in Alaska talking.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I used rubber booted wiper blades, the type with a soft rubber cover surrounding the older style wipers with a frame that collects wet snow. Year's ago when driving in very wet fresh snowfall, the windshield would form snow dams on the bottom and sides. I stopped every few miles under an overpass to use a snow brush to break off wet snow dams then get back into the car for another few miles before repeating. That was one of the worst snow storms to drive in - get-home-itis. I was alone. No one was on the thruway with an occasional truck passing me as I was cleaning off snow buildup. Everyone stayed home that evening while driving south from upstate NY near the Canadian border to NYC. I think I have a set for winter use but haven't driven in those conditions. I liked them for their thicker rubber wiper blades compared to thin all weather blades. Are there thicker blades made for winter use in the latest beam type wipers? I switch from summer blades to winter blades to have a little advantage as I'm not impressed regular blades work in freezing weather even with better synthetic rubber blades.

Do the flexible beam low profile wiper blades work better to shed heavy wet snow falling on windshields? Or do you stop off the side of the road or highway to use a snow brush or scraper to break of snow/ice buildup on wipers and edges around the windshield? My guess is every vehicle has slightly different windshield angles, some hide their wipers while others are exposed with each vehicle allowing snow to fall away or clump on the edges of windshields, either collecting on wiper blades and interfering with wiping action or not collecting wet snow.

Having remote start, I've used them for two purposes; preheating the windshield on startup when icing or frozen snow accumulates and initial cabin warming. Being more concerned about defrosting the windshield, I preset the hvac system for defrost mode on the hottest setting and medium blower speed. In the time it takes me to get shoes and coat on, the slight warm-up of the windshield allows easier ice/hard snow to break off with a brass bladed ice scraper. Once the windshield has any warmth from defrost air, ice scraping isn't difficult. The side and rear windows warm up too for quick ice scraping. I try not wasting gas on these freezing weather startups and practiced this method over the years to minimize time scraping ice and snow. Temps are around freezing or below. I would imagine taking a little longer in very cold temps but if the car is warming up with front and rear defrosters on, the warming heat helps to create the temperature differential between windshield and ice to allow easier ice scraping. Once enough warmth is felt on the windshield, ice breaks off and melts as more ice floats off. That seems to be the best in melting ice and snow for removal before jumping back into the car and diving off. On those days where a layer of snow covers the car, I let the blower have more time heating everything inside as defrost mode concentrates all heat to the windshield as I spend the time brushing off snow completely. The few minutes spent brushing off snow lets all the windows warm-up for easier ice and snow removal. That would be the most time idling to warm up the windows. The cabin warms up too but I'm more concerned about clear windows since driving and engine heat lets the interior become cozy. Take care to remove snow and ice buildup on the car exterior and widows and a clear view makes driving less hazardous.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #6
454cid

My issue is that it seems that the smallest piece of snow/ice seems to prevent the wipers from conforming well to the windshield. I'll get salt spray on the windshield and need to run the wipers and often end up with areas that I can't see through well.

I think I'm going to order some Trico beam winter blades.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2019, 07:32 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Any of the beam blades work better than anything else. Pull them off the glass when you park and do not forget to clean all the glass before putting them back down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I just put "Trico 35-##0 Ice Extreme" all around on my current car. Replace the ## with the length of wiper you need (21 and 20 I believe with the S-Series) to get your part number. I haven't had any issue's with them moving water or snow so far, but they haven't had a major storm to test by either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:51 PM   #9
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
I just put "Trico 35-##0 Ice Extreme" all around on my current car. Replace the ## with the length of wiper you need (21 and 20 I believe with the S-Series) to get your part number. I haven't had any issue's with them moving water or snow so far, but they haven't had a major storm to test by either.
Lol, I just canceled my Rockauto order for those exact blades after I read some of the negative reviews, on Amazon, and the other Bosch Snowdriver became available from Rockauto.

Oh well.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2019, 09:22 PM   #10
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Rain-X Lattitude or Quantum work very well. They are expen$ive, so I remove them after the spring monsoons and save them in the basement for the next late fall time of year.
In the sunny months, I use blades that are a few years old. The plastic in the beam blades seems to get more brittle in the hot sunshine and then they don’t curve/form to the windshield in cold winter weather.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:54 AM   #11
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

> seems to prevent the wipers from conforming well to the windshield.

This my issue, every VW and Saturn, primarily on larger drivers side.
Last March I hurriedly bought some blades from AutoZone. Less than a year, they disintegrated, and they performed like crap.

I had previously bought cheapest Ammco beam type for my '97... and they were barely acceptable (better than conventional).
This year bought Bosch Evolution from RockAuto… reasonable price
AND THEY WORK!. I never had an issue with pickup truck wipers, but all my compact cars stank.

Bosch Evolution NICE.
Also, I think the blades at AutoZone may have been old stock with dry rubber... or just typical Chinese junk.

Bosch Evolution … not the cheapest Bosch BEAM type.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
454cid

Ok back to the Trico Ice.... I found them locally on a Black Friday special at Meijer's. They were about the same price as Rockauto.

I just installed them, but haven't even started the car up yet. They seem a little wobbly, but that may not make much difference.

I also noticed that I need new wipers for my truck. One of the rubber pieces is coming off. Those were economy level Denso wipers. I was quite pleased with those when new a few years ago. They were super cheap. I may purchase them again.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #13
454cid

I just checked my purchase history on Rockauto.... apparently I was wrong on the Denso wipers. I got the standard conventionals, so not the cheapest, or as cheap as I was thinking. They were purchased in January of 2017, so 2+ years old. They were $4 something each, plus shipping.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #14
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

I used to keep a cheap unused toilet brush handy on the floor under my knees. As snow and slush accumulated I would roll down the side window and brush away what I could reaching forward around to the windshield. The bristles facing every direction design worked perfectly.

Time for a trip to the dollar store.

Now I buy cheap blades and remove them from their arms to slip them into my snazzy looking streamlined plastic covered Michelin arms. Home depot was selling cheap blade/arms for $2.99 last time I stocked up.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:06 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
My issue is that it seems that the smallest piece of snow/ice seems to prevent the wipers from conforming well to the windshield. I'll get salt spray on the windshield and need to run the wipers and often end up with areas that I can't see through well.

I think I'm going to order some Trico beam winter blades.
One consumer comment revealed Trico winter blades are extra thick and a plus, possibly lasting a little longer. My guess is switching blades between winter and the rest of the year can prolong two sets of blades. In doing that with my car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #16
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The top of the line Bosch is well worth the money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:38 PM   #17
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

I bought some Peak “Snow Beast wiper blades” at the end of the summer when they where on sale. I haven’t had to use them in snow yet but they’re definitely better than the old non-beam style blade I had on it before.

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles