SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
Tyson
Tyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Surge tank filling up

I just got done working on that water inlet unit. Now when I get done driving after an hour or so My surge tank is normal until I park and turn off ignition. Then it just fills up and leaks a bit out of cap. Any answers?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Surge tank filling up

What has the temperature gauge level been at while driving?

324,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
I just got done working on that water inlet unit. Now when I get done driving after an hour or so My surge tank is normal until I park and turn off ignition. Then it just fills up and leaks a bit out of cap. Any answers?
Did you use a sealant on the inlet? If so and you used to much it is possible that it got into the system and clogged the Tstat causing an overheat situation. Did you burp the system to get the air out?

https://www.infowars.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Pressure test the cap, might be defective.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
Tyson
Tyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

temp gauge is where it always is. nothing out of the normal. nothing got in the system. i dont think you quite know exactly where this part i was working on. but its not near thermostat or anything. the only thing i didnt do is burp it. but im wanting to. how do i do it with a surge tank? because as u may know these cars dont fill up at the radiator. so how do i burp the system using the surge tank im buying a new cap tomorrow also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #6
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
i think im gonna buy a new cap tomorrow. even though this ones only a couple months old. i dont like this new cap they have. i like the old flanged ones. but how do i pressure test cap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #7
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
What has the temperature gauge level been at while driving?
temp is perfect. its where its always at. im thinking replace cap even though its a couple months old. burp system but i dont know how. if you do please tell me. also, could it be a bad water pump?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

It's good that the cooling system temperature is apparently normal. When the engine gets cold again remove the radiator cap and squeeze the upper radiator hose several times to help in purging air from the system. Wait a few seconds between each squeeze. After you've done this you should run the engine at idle (with the cap off) to reach its normal operating temperature and watch the fluid level - up to 15 or 20 minutes altogether. If adding coolant is necessary at the end of that time then do so. Once the cooling system level is constant then reinstall the cap.

BTW, I'm still using my factory installed cap. I'm willing to bet that you don't really need to replace yours. However, if replacing it seems best to you then go ahead and do so.

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

Last edited by pierrot; 08-02-2019 at 06:41 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #9
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
It's good that the cooling system temperature is apparently normal. When the engine gets cold again remove the radiator cap and squeeze the upper radiator hose several times to help in purging air from the system. Wait a few seconds between each squeeze. After you've done this you should run the engine at idle (with the cap off) to reach its normal operating temperature and watch the fluid level - up to 15 or 20 minutes altogether. If adding coolant is necessary at the end of that time then do so. Once the cooling system level is constant then reinstall the cap.

BTW, I'm still using my factory installed cap. I'm willing to bet that you don't really need to replace yours. However, if replacing it seems best to you then go ahead and do so.
my dumb but lost the factory installed one. so that's why i have this one. i hope i can find it. but im going to burp it now. so what would it be if it continues to fill up too much again. what could it be then if temp is still good

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2019, 07:15 PM   #10
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
Yes, this could be the case. My experience has been that apart from a GM dealership, the independent repair shops and part stores do not have the correct adapter to test this radiator cap. Why? No other GM car sold in North America had it. It was specific to the L-Series only (V6 and 4 cyl.). After all of these years it's also possible that even a dealership may not have the tools to test this cap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2019, 07:23 PM   #11
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Yes, this could be the case. My experience has been that apart from a GM dealership, the independent repair shops and part stores do not have the correct adapter to test this radiator cap. Why? No other GM car sold in North America had it. It was specific to the L-Series only (V6 and 4 cyl.). After all of these years it's also possible that even a dealership may not have the tools to test this cap.
so i went out and burped it. and it stayed exactly in same spot . but wouldnt it act different if i drove it for an hour. i mean wouldnt it get hotter and therefore just doing what i did is for not. I mean i dont want to drive it for too long now i feel like something bad might happen until i find out the issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
my dumb but lost the factory installed one. so that's why i have this one. i hope i can find it.
Ah, I see. I hope you'll find it as well...
Quote:
but im going to burp it now. so what would it be if it continues to fill up too much again. what could it be then if temp is still good
I can't think of anything presently. Just be certain that you've taken care of bleeding air out of the cooling system for now. Let us know how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2019, 07:27 PM   #13
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
so i went out and burped it. and it stayed exactly in same spot . but wouldnt it act different if i drove it for an hour. i mean wouldnt it get hotter and therefore just doing what i did is for not. I mean i dont want to drive it for too long now i feel like something bad might happen until i find out the issue.
Well, that didn't take long. Did you do it as instructed? Did you see any change in the cooling system level? You will not harm your engine if you followed instructions. This has to be done right or you cannot verify if that issue has been resolved.

Regarding your replacement radiator cap, what is the brand and part number?

Do you know whether or not your engine cooling fans are funcitioning normally? If you turn on the A/C with the engine on then both fans should engage and it will tell you - minimally - that they're working.

Last edited by pierrot; 08-02-2019 at 07:37 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #14
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Well, that didn't take long. Did you do it as instructed? Did you see any change in the cooling system level? You will not harm your engine if you followed instructions. This has to be done right or you cannot verify if that issue has been resolved.

Regarding your replacement radiator cap, what is the brand and part number?

Do you know whether or not your engine cooling fans are funcitioning normally? If you turn on the A/C with the engine on then both fans should engage and it will tell you - minimally - that they're working.

Well sir, the fans kicked on even though I donít have ac! But so far everything seems fine since burping it. But like I said I wonder if driving it will be a different story

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-02-2019, 08:38 PM   #15
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Well sir, the fans kicked on even though I donít have ac!
That could be good or bad depending on how long it took for them to engage. So how long did you wait before you saw the engine cooling fans turn on?
Quote:
But so far everything seems fine since burping it. But like I said I wonder if driving it will be a different story
Tyson, if the system cooling system has been purged of air then that job is done. You cannot be fretful over these things the way you seem to be (based upon your comments). Close it up and test drive it. This is how we confirm our work has been done correctly or if something else needs to be addressed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2019, 06:17 AM   #16
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
That could be good or bad depending on how long it took for them to engage. So how long did you wait before you saw the engine cooling fans turn on?
Tyson, if the system cooling system has been purged of air then that job is done. You cannot be fretful over these things the way you seem to be (based upon your comments). Close it up and test drive it. This is how we confirm our work has been done correctly or if something else needs to be addressed.

The fans came on but see it wasnít exceptionally hot out. It took them 15 minutes maybe to come on. When I drive they come on when temp rises in engine. I donít know how soon they should but it seems like since they do come on that it may not be the issue. And I know it seems Iím fretting about things but I need a car. Not want but need. I have very bad luck with cars. Head gaskets in particular so when anything goes wrong with coolant system. My first thought is head gasket

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #17
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: Surge tank filling up grab you surge tank and grab your wallet

hi sages - want to point out my experience with this since some have implied I have been too ungenerous with shyster mechanics and may have hurt their feelings. this issue came up with my L100. asked gas station person about this who told me its usually the cap at fault. said charge would be 12 to check and he could replace it for only 39. told him no soap. burped it myself, filled to half way up the surge tank cold and end of problem. still have same original cap now 18 years old. guess I will have to register car for the draft now. what think my bruthas? is shysterism still alive and well? thanks tons for your sagery. bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:33 AM   #18
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
The fans came on but see it wasnít exceptionally hot out. It took them 15 minutes maybe to come on. When I drive they come on when temp rises in engine. I donít know how soon they should but it seems like since they do come on that it may not be the issue. And I know it seems Iím fretting about things but I need a car. Not want but need. I have very bad luck with cars. Head gaskets in particular so when anything goes wrong with coolant system. My first thought is head gasket
Based on your description here it seems that the engine cooling fans are operating normally. My reason for asking was that if they were engaging too soon then the thermostat might have been stuck open. That is a bad thing for engine performance and emissions since they require a normal operating temperature to function correctly. Cooling system fans are engaged based on that system's temperature (sometimes one only, sometimes both). Outside temperatures are a secondary influence on a car's cooling system not the principal one.

I too need a car. I'd be happy if I didn't but that's not how reality is. With regard to head gasket failures those generally are a result of an overheated engine. For your engine and mine that means the needle at the temperature gauge will be somewhere well to the right of center. IMO, GM designed a very efficient and robust cooling system for the L-Series. On my car, the only occasion when the temperature gauge read slightly past the center after having reached its normal operating temperature (A/C was off) and remained there was when the thermostat needed replacing. Unless you know that this engine has been overheated there's no reason to be unduly concerned with that.

Since things presently appear to be normal on your car let us know how things are after you've driven it for two or three days.

Last edited by pierrot; 08-03-2019 at 10:45 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #19
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Based on your description here it seems that the engine cooling fans are operating normally. My reason for asking was that if they were engaging too soon then the thermostat might have been stuck open. That is a bad thing for engine performance and emissions since they require a normal operating temperature to function correctly. Cooling system fans are engaged based on that system's temperature (sometimes one only, sometimes both). Outside temperatures are a secondary influence on a car's cooling system not the principal one.

I too need a car. I'd be happy if I didn't but that's not how reality is. With regard to head gasket failures those generally are a result of an overheated engine. For your engine and mine that means the needle at the temperature gauge will be somewhere well to the right of center. IMO, GM designed a very efficient and robust cooling system for the L-Series. On my car, the only occasion when the temp

erature gauge read slightly past the center after having reached its normal operating temperature (A/C was off) and remained there was when the thermostat needed replacing. Unless you know that this engine has been overheated there's no reason to be unduly concerned with that.

Since things presently appear to be normal on your car let us know how things are after you've driven it for two or three days.
Thank you so much for your thoughts . I do get panicky when it comes to cars, so thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #20
soulsurvives
soulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to allsoulsurvives is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You should get a code scanner. They can be had for under 20 bucks on Amazon. With one of those you can see exact coolant temp readings to know if you are running too hot. I see no reason for your system to be overflowing unless your engine is running too hot. I've been working on cars for 30 years and that has always been the case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to soulsurvives's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help soulsurvives reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
soulsurvives is offline   Reply With Quote