SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Default Changing battery on AWD/Honda VUE

Hey there,

My ex just called me and says the VUE won't start. I'm assuming it's the battery since it's the original. I haven't peered under the hood on it since we went our separate ways a couple of years ago so I'd appreciate it if someone could remind me what tools I'll need. Is it just the usual 10mm bolt for the hold down and the terminals?

Thanks in advance,

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Changing battery on AWD/Honda VUE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEmaniac View Post
Hey there,

My ex just called me and says the VUE won't start. I'm assuming it's the battery since it's the original. I haven't peered under the hood on it since we went our separate ways a couple of years ago so I'd appreciate it if someone could remind me what tools I'll need. Is it just the usual 10mm bolt for the hold down and the terminals?

Thanks in advance,
I have a 2005 Vue. The battery cable clamps are 8 MM and the rear battery clamp is a 13 MM. If like mine - you'll need a socket and 6 to 8 inch extension to comfortably reach the hold-down bolt.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line

When I did mine, I used the longest extension I could find in my dad's toolbox. It was like 2' long and made the job much easier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #4
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

Thanks everyone. 13mm socket + 8" extension and an 8mm gear wrench was the ticket.

Happy holidays,

---
Don't blame a clown for acting like a clown. Ask yourself why YOU keep going to the circus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
The Math God
Advanced Member
The Math God is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

just swapped batteries on my 2005
real tight, not a lot of room to get the fingers under it
took longer to pull the old one out after getting all the bolts off than anything else

2007 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2005 Vue -- AWD 3.5 Honda
2007 Ion 2 -- 2.2
2005 L300 -- 6 cyl

Gone but not forgotten
2003 Vue -- 105K-traded in
2000 LS 2 --140 K-totaled
1994 SL-- 100K-sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to The Math God's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help The Math God reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
The Math God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Hey there,

Thanks in advance,
Glad you got things all worked out...just wondering why you have to work on your EX'S vehicle? Do you have joint custody of the Vue or something,lol!

"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Midnight13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Midnight13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight13 View Post
Glad you got things all worked out...just wondering why you have to work on your EX'S vehicle? Do you have joint custody of the Vue or something,lol!
I used to work on my first ex's car ... until she got the restraining order.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-31-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
HerBabyTruck
HerBabyTruck is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Honda Vue??? Although it is a Honda engine and transaxle, the V6 was designed and developed by GM.

HerBigTruck = SILVERADO HD K2500 8.1 Allison

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HerBabyTruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HerBabyTruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HerBabyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:42 AM   #9
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBabyTruck View Post
Honda Vue??? Although it is a Honda engine and transaxle, the V6 was designed and developed by GM.
...What? That makes no sense, and is wrong.

The engine is almost a direct copy of the engine used in the MDX, Ridgeline, Pilot, and Odyssey. Only minor changes between them. I'd be surprised if you couldn't swap the engine from one of those right in to the V6 Vues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #10
jrad
jrad is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

I really dislike top terminal batteries!! I don't see a space issue with using the nice clean side terms that never get corroded or messed up.

2006 Vue Redline Laser Blue
1994 Camaro z28 Green Metalic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 AM   #11
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight13 View Post

The money will end up coming out of my pocket one way or another so I'd rather see it get fixed right. After all, my kids are usually riding in the back. Once the kids are not living with her anymore, she can drive and maintain a Yugo for all I care.

Best,

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
...What? That makes no sense, and is wrong.

The engine is almost a direct copy of the engine used in the MDX, Ridgeline, Pilot, and Odyssey. Only minor changes between them. I'd be surprised if you couldn't swap the engine from one of those right in to the V6 Vues.
Yep, from sometime in 2004 until the redesign in 2008, V6 VUEs used a HONDA 3.5L engine. That's the ONLY reason I was willing to buy it. The engine and transmission have been a joy. The only fly in the ointment has been the cheesy AWD system which is a GM system...so I can't blame that on Honda. Fortunately, the truck is now in an area where that isn't much of a concern in the winter anymore. Previously, we lived in a somewhat rural area and I found it to be pretty worthless given the mileage penalty during the rest of the year.

Best,

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
HerBabyTruck
HerBabyTruck is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Yep, from sometime in 2004 until the redesign in 2008, V6 VUEs used a HONDA 3.5L engine. That's the ONLY reason I was willing to buy it. The engine and transmission have been a joy. The only fly in the ointment has been the cheesy AWD system which is a GM system...so I can't blame that on Honda. Fortunately, the truck is now in an area where that isn't much of a concern in the winter anymore. Previously, we lived in a somewhat rural area and I found it to be pretty worthless given the mileage penalty during the rest of the year.

Best,
Do some research, Honda contracted with GM to design a V6 for them, If I remember correctly, they were after the VVT set up, and that is the only reason they used it in the VUE. Part of the negotiation. I have the opposite opinion on the vehicle though - the engine and trans are the majority of the problem with them. Yea the engine holds up pretty well but is a pain to work on. The trans is weak!

HerBigTruck = SILVERADO HD K2500 8.1 Allison

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HerBabyTruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HerBabyTruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HerBabyTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #14
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerBabyTruck View Post
Do some research, Honda contracted with GM to design a V6 for them, If I remember correctly, they were after the VVT set up, and that is the only reason they used it in the VUE. Part of the negotiation. I have the opposite opinion on the vehicle though - the engine and trans are the majority of the problem with them. Yea the engine holds up pretty well but is a pain to work on. The trans is weak!
No, this is 100% TOTALLY wrong. It's mind bogglingly wrong. The engine is a straight up Honda J35, built by Honda and sent to GM to install in the Vues. They traded these engines for Isuzu diesel engines.

I've found the engine easy to work on (considering that they stuffed a foreign engine into a small engine bay) and the transmission is really not that weak. The Honda part is MUCH better than the GM parts (crappy suspension, cheap interior, crappy wheel bearings, brakes, BCMs, pathetic seats, poorly designed RDm that they "fixed" to be ineffective... the list goes on).

I wouldn't have bought the Vue if it had a GM powertrain either. I won't own another GM product again, nor will any of my family.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Old 01-06-2011, 12:09 AM   #15
jrad
jrad is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

go buy a GM v8 and you won't be talking like that.

2006 Vue Redline Laser Blue
1994 Camaro z28 Green Metalic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 AM   #16
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

If they had an LS in the Vue, I'd have considered it. But then again, I doubt th Vue could hold up to an LS. And GM only was able to bolt a 4 speed up to its transverse LS4.

Though honestly, I don't think the LS engines are nay better than the other V8s out there. And the N*s weren't that great at all. And a GM V8 sure as heck wouldn't outweigh the downsides of owning another GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #17
VUEmaniac

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
No, this is 100% TOTALLY wrong. It's mind bogglingly wrong. The engine is a straight up Honda J35, built by Honda and sent to GM to install in the Vues. They traded these engines for Isuzu diesel engines.

I've found the engine easy to work on (considering that they stuffed a foreign engine into a small engine bay) and the transmission is really not that weak. The Honda part is MUCH better than the GM parts (crappy suspension, cheap interior, crappy wheel bearings, brakes, BCMs, pathetic seats, poorly designed RDm that they "fixed" to be ineffective... the list goes on).
YUP.

Quote:
I wouldn't have bought the Vue if it had a GM powertrain either. I won't own another GM product again, nor will any of my family.
Me neither. I picked up an old S-series coup for my commuter mule, but I will NEVER buy another new GM car. If I ever buy another American car, it will probably be a Ford.

Best,

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #18
3RedLines
3RedLines has a spectacular aura about3RedLines has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

To me the grass is still green on this side of the fence.

2007 STS-V
2006 STS 1SC
2005 STS 1SE MRC, ACC, HUD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3RedLines's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3RedLines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3RedLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #19
XRL
Master Member

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RedLines View Post
To me the grass is still green on this side of the fence.
Meh, for that kinda money I'm going to get a used Maserati Gran Turismo, or a Jaguar XKR. Maybe once the epic depreciation hits and these are 30k with few miles on them. Otherwise, there's better options out there. Used ML63s, X5Ms, etc. offer a bit more space and the same blistering performance, but in their cases they're mind blowingly fast for an SUV. And have AWD, and enough ground clearance to not be stranded in a rainstorm or large puddle.

It's a real shame the SRX didn't stay on the CTS's platform. Something like the old SRX with the new CTS-V powertrain would have been nice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Old 01-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
If I ever buy another American car, it will probably be a Ford.
Be a savvy consumer - so search the Ford forums for feed-back.

I've owned many Fords through the years and have learned they have their fair share of warts and pimples.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!