SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2007, 08:28 PM   #1
casterman
casterman is on a distinguished road

Default 94 SL2 Automatic shifts hard

have a 94 SL2 automatic with 87,000 miles -- every time it shifts from 1st to 2nd and then from 2nd to 3rd it bangs pretty hard and will chirp the tires if you are in the throttle -- I have a car lot and bought the car at auction so I do not know much history -- it is not terrible but it does get your attention. Anyone have any experience with a fix in a can? Trans Medic or Lucas? or just a waste of time and money?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to casterman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help casterman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
casterman is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: 94 SL2 Automatic shifts hard

Most will say don't use Transmission addatives...

I must ask.. how is the trans fluid? Did you change the fluid when you got the car home?

Very easy to do.. Easer then a oil changed. Get a OEM transmission filter from Saturn, and 5 or 6 qts of Mobil 1 Full Syn Trans fluid.... Will probability make a word of difference.

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
gignac02
gignac02 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 94 SL2 Automatic shifts hard

I had this problem on my 93 saturn a few years ago. Pull up de plug on tranny cover, you will find ten pins, check resistance between thems, each 2 pins are hook to a selenoid valve, resistance sould be 3 to 8 ohms. One of them is probably a lot higher. It is a easy job to replace one of those selenoid valve!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gignac02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gignac02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gignac02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
casterman

are you referring to an electrical plug on the outside of the tranny? are the pairs of wires easy to determine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help casterman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #5
deadmeat3344
deadmeat3344 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

make sure the switch next to he shifter is in "normal mode"

Saturns are slow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to deadmeat3344's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help deadmeat3344 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
deadmeat3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
1999greenSL2
Advanced Member
1999greenSL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Try rolling back in reverse, switching it to drive and going forward immediately. Tell us if it slams when you do that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999greenSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999greenSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999greenSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
gignac02
gignac02 is on a distinguished road

The plug is on the cover on top of transmission, need a 9mm box . the pair are easy to figure-out, first is the 2 pins toward front of car. the others are 2 pair on ech sides . ex: second and third on left front, 4 and 5 on same side. right side is same. easy to figure with an hometer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gignac02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gignac02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gignac02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

The trans uses data from the T P S,and MAP sensor ,for shift harshness/feel
also if the battery has been replaced ,the perimiters may need time to re-learn
there are several steps in sequence that have to be followed to quickly
return the perimiters to the P C M .
check all the connectors on the trans for corosion ,oil,fluid ect.
just driving normally for a few days could allow the perimiters to re-learn.

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 PM   #9
sparkynsmoke
sparkynsmoke is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
2005 RELAY-2

I have a 95 SL2 automatic and my tranny's been doing the same thing with the hard shifting. My service engine light went on, the car wasn't shifting from 2nd to 3rd and would rev high to allow the car to get up to speed. I just replaced the radiator and the tranny went the next day.
Could this have been the result of the radiator? I have a code reader and it says there's no 2,3,4 gears and there's a loose connection between the spped control switch and the tranny.
I had the orig tranny "replaced" (wasn't told where it came from), or if it was my orig rebuilt, in 2003. I was wondering if maybe the tranny filter could be clogged and because of the radiator prob, the tranny fluid got burned. Please PM me with any responses. Sparky's the only car I have and right now I've been relegated to driving my dad's 81 Ford Club Wagon van (it's a big and bulky gas eater, but it's getting me around). Thanks.

1995 SL2 - Sparky- (234K+)
1997 SW2 - Smoke- (64,817) RIP my little boy
2004 Chevy Cavalier - Gordy- (103K+)
2005 Relay 2 - Swoop or Smoke II- (48K+)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sparkynsmoke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sparkynsmoke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sparkynsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
casterman

special thanks to all that responded -- here is what I have learned -- sometimes it makes you look foolish if you don't check the obvious before you panic -- YES the switch was in the Performance position instead of the Normal position, as soon as I switched it - the shifting became normal -- and, yes the battery had been out of the car for several days and I had just put a new one in earlier that day and hadn't driven it more than 50 feet before complaining about the harshness of the shifts -- thanks again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:45 PM   #11
1999greenSL2
Advanced Member
1999greenSL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by casterman View Post
special thanks to all that responded -- here is what I have learned -- sometimes it makes you look foolish if you don't check the obvious before you panic -- YES the switch was in the Performance position instead of the Normal position, as soon as I switched it - the shifting became normal -- and, yes the battery had been out of the car for several days and I had just put a new one in earlier that day and hadn't driven it more than 50 feet before complaining about the harshness of the shifts -- thanks again
How much are you selling it for?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999greenSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999greenSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999greenSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:14 AM   #12
deadmeat3344
deadmeat3344 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by casterman View Post

im god

Saturns are slow

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to deadmeat3344's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help deadmeat3344 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
deadmeat3344 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #13
casterman

all hail to deadmeat3344 -- master of obvious advice -- thanks again

got it setting out by the street with $1399 on the windshield -- really takes $1250 to buy it -- dark blue with tan leather (couple small bad places in the leather stitches) -- has light to medium hail damage on hood and roof -- has an internal rattle in the catalytic converter or muffler that I will get fixed -- good tires -- drivers side seat belt track is kaput, may get one at the "pull-a-part"

I also have a 1999 SC2 - red - 5 speed - 127K - sun roof -- nice nice car for $2650

Tulsa Oklahoma -- you can email me at casterman1@sbcglobal.net

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 AM   #14
sparkynsmoke

1995 SL2
2005 RELAY-2

Can anyone tell me what the "Performance/Normal" switch is on the car? I have zero clue what it is, have asked the dealer and they've told me it's like an overdrive. (Like 5th gear in a stick). My tranny, according to the code reader says no 2,3,4 gear and there's a loose connection to the speed control switch. (?) Any help would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sparkynsmoke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:44 AM   #15
tommyhawk13
tommyhawk13 is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1995 SL2

The performance switch makes your car act like Casterman's.
It lets the revs get higher for more power, and it shifts the gears faster, with less slipping. Even though the car feels like it's going to fall apart, it's actually better for the clutch bands, because there's less slipping. Think of it as a built in shift kit that you can turn on and aff while driving.
It is nothing like overdrive. OD is for lowering the revs to save gas, this switch does the opposite.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tommyhawk13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tommyhawk13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tommyhawk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #16
sparkynsmoke

1995 SL2
2005 RELAY-2

Hey all, the vehicle speed sensor was changed on Sparky and while she still shifts hard, I think I'll just have to change the tranny filter and fluid, and she'll be good to go. 13 model years old and while some have told me to get a newer car, I love Sparky and she's been very reliable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!