SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
turbobuick33
Advanced Member
turbobuick33 is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default Installed new OEM shifter cables and it seems so stiff to shift

Today I installed my OEM shifter cables and when test driving, it seems so stiff to shift..It goes in gear but very tight..My old taiwain cables when into gear very easily..With my new OEM cables going into first gear is sometimes hard to get into gear..Is this normal? I looked everything over and everything went in straight and connected properly..I also put lithum grease on the cables..Are new OEM cables that stiff when shifting? Is it stiff because the cables are new? Will it loosen up as time goes by?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to turbobuick33's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
turbobuick33 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
dmc
dmc is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: Installed new OEM shifter cables and it seems so stiff to shift

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick33 View Post
Today I installed my OEM shifter cables and when test driving, it seems so stiff to shift..It goes in gear but very tight..
Maybe you can try greasing up the linkage on the transmission?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Make SURE that your cables are not sitting in the shifter on an angle.. and that the cables are pulled through the grommet into the CABIN enough that they CURVE around the floor.. NOT at an angle at the shifter.

And it may get easier as the cables break in.... but it was a lot EASIER for me when i installed the new OEM cables.

edit: could be your synchro's like mine.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #4
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_95sl2 View Post
Make SURE that your cables are not sitting in the shifter on an angle.. and that the cables are pulled through the grommet into the CABIN enough that they CURVE around the floor.. NOT at an angle at the shifter.

And it may get easier as the cables break in.... but it was a lot EASIER for me when i installed the new OEM cables.

edit: could be your synchro's like mine.
I pulled the cables from the inside and it moved in a little bit..The cables do sit and are curved around the floor, on the left side..But theres no improvement in the shifter, still stiff. I also lube up the shift tower and no improvement..I took some pics..Everything to me looks good but I don't get it why it's so stiff to shift...I am afraid that this stiffness when shifting might cause stress on the eyelet and it might pop put again on me without any warning.

I don't think it's my synchro's at all, my old taiwain cables I was able to shift into first gear easily and all other gears with ease and now shifting is stiff with the OEM cables.

Has anyone else experince stiff shifting after installing new OEM cables? Is this a NORMAL or not normal feeling when you install new OEM cables?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

Last edited by turbobuick33; 06-04-2007 at 12:21 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help turbobuick33 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I installed a new OEM shift cable on my '96 and I didn't notice any difference in shifting.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Are both left-right and fore-aft movements difficult?

IIRC, the two cables are different. Are you sure you put the right cable in the right position? (I may be wrong on the premise, here, though....)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #7
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Are both left-right and fore-aft movements difficult?

IIRC, the two cables are different. Are you sure you put the right cable in the right position? (I may be wrong on the premise, here, though....)
Going left into first is sometimes hard to get into..In neutral the shifter moves fine with ease left and right..What do you mean when you say putting th cables in the right position?

I connected the cables properly..The white one goes on top on the shift tower and the black one goes to the bottom on the shift tower..Is their a certain postion that it's supposed to be when it goes thru the engine to the shift tower?

Shifting now is not as ease as before..It's totally weird! I wasn't epecting this at all..I was expecting the same results as I had with my taiwain cables and now it's stiff to shift and not confortable..I am stumped and I don't know what to do now.

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

I was just wondering if you'd installed the left-right cable where the fore-aft cable should go, and vice-versa. Sounds like you got it right.

If L-R movement across neutral is easy, then that cable is not an issue.

Try this: disconnect the fore-aft cable from the shift tower, and see how hard it is to move the shifter fore and aft. If that's difficult, reconnect it, and disconnect it from the shifter, and try just moving the cable by hand from the shifter end. These two tests should shed some light on where the difficulty can be located.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #9
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
I was just wondering if you'd installed the left-right cable where the fore-aft cable should go, and vice-versa. Sounds like you got it right.

If L-R movement across neutral is easy, then that cable is not an issue.

Try this: disconnect the fore-aft cable from the shift tower, and see how hard it is to move the shifter fore and aft. If that's difficult, reconnect it, and disconnect it from the shifter, and try just moving the cable by hand from the shifter end. These two tests should shed some light on where the difficulty can be located.
Is the fore-aft cable on the shifter tower the top white cable?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #10
madpogue

1996 SW2

Just going by memory, no, the fore-aft cable is the lower one. But you'd have to work the shifter and watch the cable movement under the hood to be sure (an assistant would be helpful, of course).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
andy_95sl2
Master Member

this is soo strange... Watch the fore-aft cable (the one on the right side.. more specifically the black one) and see if there's any binding. If needed, i have an extra set of taiwan cables i can sell you for cheap

2009 BMW 128i -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2007, 09:21 PM   #12
andy_95sl2
Master Member

Just wondering... do you have an SZP Racing short throw shifter? If so, the shifter needs to be shimmed UPWARDS because the bottom portion of the shifter has been elongated, throwing the cables at an awkward angle.

2009 BMW 128i -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #13
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_95sl2 View Post
Just wondering... do you have an SZP Racing short throw shifter? If so, the shifter needs to be shimmed UPWARDS because the bottom portion of the shifter has been elongated, throwing the cables at an awkward angle.
Yes I do have an sps short throw shifter, I had to replace the shifter nipple on it because I had the metal bushing on it so I used my stock nipple from my stock shifter and I bolted it, not tight at all so there will be movement and pivot action...WHat exact part on the shifter needs to be shimmed upwards? WHat do I use to shim it?

I have used this shifter on my taiwain cables and it shifted with ease, I don't understand why the OEM cables are giving me a hard time?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:43 PM   #14
turbobuick33
Advanced Member

1992 SL2

bump^^ how do I shim my shifter?

92 SL2, 5 speed

91 Lx 5.0

REWARD EXCELLENCE!