SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #361
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Advice Requested: Tips for Overhauling a 96 DOHC SL2?

Just did another oil analysis, this one at 6,000 miles post-rebuild, and thought some of you out there might be interested in the results...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2006, 12:43 AM   #362
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak
Just did another oil analysis, this one at 6,000 miles post-rebuild, and thought some of you out there might be interested in the results...

Good to see you back. . Yes I am interested. You aparently are not driving the car a lot. In the report it gave a value for "make up oil". Does this refer to the amount of oil you have had to add over this oil change interval?

Next question, what kind of air filter do you use? I ask this because there has been a thread in the last week or so debating the various air filters. I was particularly interested in the silicone numbers in regards to this. I noted that the comments stated that they expect those numbers to go down as the engine wears in.

By the way, how is the home built project going?

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:08 PM   #363
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky King
Good to see you back. . Yes I am interested. You aparently are not driving the car a lot. In the report it gave a value for "make up oil". Does this refer to the amount of oil you have had to add over this oil change interval?

Next question, what kind of air filter do you use? I ask this because there has been a thread in the last week or so debating the various air filters. I was particularly interested in the silicone numbers in regards to this. I noted that the comments stated that they expect those numbers to go down as the engine wears in.

By the way, how is the home built project going?
I haven't been driving the car a lot. My primary car is a rear-wheel drive covertible roadster. I love that car, but it has terrible traction in winter weather conditions. It can't even pull the 2 degree grade on my driveway with 1/4 dusting of snow! So the front-wheel drive SL2 is my winter car. Plus I've been out of town a lot on business, so neither of my cars have seen a lot of mileage lately.

I'm using a standard Fram air filter. If you go back to Blackstone's comments on the first oil sample (500 miles after the rebuild), they said "We tend to find high wear and silicon in new engines; the wear is from new parts breaking in, while silicon is from sealers and sand-casted parts." As they predicted, the ppm levels are coming down.

The home-built project is going well. (Check your email.) Between that and flying lessons, most of my free time is quickly consumed.

Last edited by Razorbak; 09-16-2006 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Added link to first oil sample report.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2006, 06:15 PM   #364
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

looks good. Glad to see your thread was 'unlocked' from being so old

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #365
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArt16
looks good. Glad to see your thread was 'unlocked' from being so old
Thanks. I sent Charlie a brief note several days ago, telling him that I had sent another oil sample in for testing and wanted to post the results, but the thread was locked. He responded within an hour and said "No problem! I just opened the thread." What a cool site owner!

Since the project was completed, I have added a whole slew of detailed photos of the transmission rebuild in my photo album. Feel free to check them out if you're interested in knowing what the inside of the transmission looks like.

Start with the photo below, and move forward, and you'll see them in sequence...

Props to the Different Racing boys' website for the Tech Article and disassembly instructions that gave me the impetus to undertake that aspect of the project. Thanks also to sierrap615 for helping me organize things during the disassembly, since I had never before broken down a transmission.

Last edited by Razorbak; 09-16-2006 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Added link to transmission rebuild photos.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2007, 02:41 AM   #366
jrmevans
jrmevans is on a distinguished road

I realize this thread is way way way old... and it is usually not a good idead to respond to the thread, but I was just wondering if you had any photos of the engine completed before installation into the car... and maybe a current pic of the engine in the car now....

I feel so, un fullfilled not seeing the whole car finished... LOL... If not .. no worries...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrmevans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrmevans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrmevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:23 PM   #367
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

I do have some later photos. At the time that the project was wrapping up, the SaturnFans server was extremely slow, making it difficult to upload pics, so I simply punted out of frustration. I'll try to round some up and upload them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2007, 02:35 AM   #368
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

jrmevans, I've added over 200 more photos to my gallery. (Click the "Photos" link beneath my avatar for details.) These new photos cover all of the remaining aspects of the rebuild project, which I never got around to uploading earlier. They cover rebuilding the transaxle, reassembling the trans/block assembly, and dropping the assembly back into the frame.

I haven't had any time to label the photos with any text besides the generic numerical sequencing of the camera. I'm too tired to continue working tonight. The upload took over four hours, and I need to get some sleep. I'll try to label the photos sometime later in the week.

In the meantime, I hope the raw photos will satisfy your curiosity.

Enjoy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #369
blackeagle1
blackeagle1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1997 SC2

Awesome! Thanks, razorback.

Current Fleet:
97 Black Gold SC2 Manual
97 Silver SC2 Auto
98 White SL2 Auto
00 Silver SL2 Auto
03 Pontiac Montana
00 Yamaha SUV1200 Waverunner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blackeagle1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blackeagle1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blackeagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #370
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

over 200 photos.. yes that would take forever! It really is a grueling process uploading a lot of photos one by one. Looks good, I didn't know you painted the transaxle.

Now I need to go through all my photos and label them

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:35 PM   #371
jrmevans
jrmevans is on a distinguished road

Yeah, that is awesome .... just the fact that you actually have the photo's it amazing... considering you have had the car finished ... about a year??? ... either way .... it is much appreciated ... This is an awesome thread and i just wanted to see the end result

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jrmevans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jrmevans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jrmevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:53 AM   #372
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Just checked in from several weeks absense. Sorry for the late response. Glad you like the photos. A heavy work schedule out of town has prevented me from labeling them, but they should be relatively easy to follow visually. They just don't show up on searches yet. Someday soon hopefully.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #373
patrick_johnson
patrick_johnson is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default I Need Help With My Sl2?

hi im lookin for a timing chain cover for my saturn sl2 1992 DOHC 1.9 I broke mine when my girlfriend backed into my car, i also broke timing chain cover ,valve cove lower engine mount ,smashed my windshield washer tank and this thang that gose inside of the front bumper it was smashed ot it had like black sand or something in it it had 2 ruber lines running from it going to the enginecan somone here help me ? i dont know what that thang was ? but anyways if anyone can help me it would be nice thanks for everything buh bye

check out my saturn sl2 customized with many mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2565742

new pics page 12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to patrick_johnson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help patrick_johnson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
patrick_johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 01:48 PM   #374
patrick_johnson
patrick_johnson is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

hi im lookin for a timing chain cover for my saturn sl2 1992 DOHC 1.9 I broke mine when my girlfriend backed into my car, i also broke timing chain cover ,valve cove lower engine mount ,smashed my windshield washer tank and this thang that gose inside of the front bumper it was smashed ot it had like black sand or something in it it had 2 ruber lines running from it going to the enginecan somone here help me ? i dont know what that thang was ? but anyways if anyone can help me it would be nice thanks for everything buh bye

check out my saturn sl2 customized with many mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2565742

new pics page 12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to patrick_johnson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help patrick_johnson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
patrick_johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:58 PM   #375
jdonline
jdonline is on a distinguished road

A good site you can bookmark for parts like this allow multiple junk yards to bid for your business and were talking a bunch of parts available.. no more calling them one by one

Used Auto Parts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jdonline's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jdonline reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jdonline is offline   Reply With Quote