SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 12:14 AM   #61
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: 1996 Saturn SL2 In-Car Rebuild

Classic bad cruise module symptom. Find a replacement in a salvage yard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #62
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The module bolted to the column. 96-01 and probably 02 will work. Stay with gen-2 for best results.

Good luck with the test run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #63
kaptnjack
kaptnjack will become famous soon enoughkaptnjack will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2
1994 SL2

nice thread

92 SL2 A/T white
93 SL1 man burgundy
93 SL2 A/T turquoise
94 SL1 man medium blue
94 SL2 A/T gold
95 SW2 A/T white (daily driver)
97 SL2 A/T gold
99 SW1 A/T green
95 SW2 man gold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaptnjack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaptnjack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaptnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:21 PM   #64
Chaddurbox
Chaddurbox is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

*huge sighs*

Here we go. About 1000 miles since I rebuilt the head. Car has been running great and been very reliable until last week when the water pump went out, and the belt has been really squeaky for about 300 miles.
Late last night it was like 15 below outside. I started the car and the belt starts squeaking loudly as usual. I didn't want to wake ppl up so I jumped in and took off without letting it warm up for more than a minute. About 1/2 a mile down the road the car died and wouldn't start again. Had my Dad come and tow me home.

I've charged the battery, nothing.
Tried jumping it, nothing.
before pulling the starter I tried turning the crank manually and it's stuck solid.

What?! Am I screwed here? Crank won't turn either way. It has been starting rough and slow lately but I just assumed it was because of the cold.

Thanks all for the help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chaddurbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chaddurbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chaddurbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #65
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

That does not sound good. What does the oil look like?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2011, 09:20 PM   #66
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You never pulled the pistons or dropped the pan on the last repair did you?

If not I would suspect a stuck piston(s).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:32 PM   #67
Chaddurbox

1996 SL2

didn't do either. and yeah i think it's a stuck piston. The starter was kind of working (slowly cranking) until it finally just clicks once and doesn't turn at all. Is this a catastrophic failure? Somehow there is almost no oil in it. Dunno how this would happen as i checked it about 500 mi. ago and i haven't seen any significant leaking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chaddurbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #68
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You have had a couple of low oil events and probably overheating also. Could be any number of things but it has to come apart to figure it out. A 95 to 98 running engine will drop in though. Depending on where you are and the local market a running engine and having a good core to rebuild may be the quick fix. After you rebuild one then you can sell the used engine. Good running DOHC engines do not last long at the scrap yard so if you find one, grab it if you decide to go that way.

When a piston galls you tend to eat oil at an alarming clip.

Check for engines locally here. http://car-part.com/ Check each year 95-98 as some are not entered correctly.

There are some available in MN for decent prices.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 AM   #69
macbox
macbox will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
1997 SC2

This is how these engines commit hara kiri. A couple of low oil events because of the sticking oil control rings, then they burn even more oil, the oil may not get checked for a couple of weeks, and then you have a dead engine. It really helps to be somewhat paranoid in checking your oil more than you think you should have to, and to have a couple of quarts in the trunk.

Depends upon the engine, but they may not leak externally as much as burn it past the piston rings or valve seals.

Was it making more noise before it quit? Once you've been driving these long enough, you know it needs oil just from the slight changes in tone, it may not be much of a difference, but it is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaddurbox View Post
Dunno how this would happen as i checked it about 500 mi. ago and i haven't seen any significant leaking.

"The Twins"
#4, "Betty" 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen. Currently in 1000 pieces for a rebuild.
#7 "Betsy" 1995 SC2, 131K, daily driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 AM   #70
Chaddurbox

1996 SL2

No, it was acting just fine when warm. No indication of a problem as far as I could tell. Alas, I don't think i'm gonna put anymore in this car right now. Prolly just gonna park it for the winter and look for something new. Thanks for the tips and whatnot. I'll be around.

Chaddurbox

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #71
OldNuc

1998 SC2

When a piston galls there is no noticeable noise that you will hear inside the car. Sometimes they will squeal like a stuck pig on startup and then quiet right down. The possible clue here is the dragging starter and the "squealing belt" you really do not find out what failed until you take it apart. What is important to remember is that the drive belt is not known for squealing like a "V" belt will. Serpentine belt failure symptoms are not identical to "V" belt failure symptoms. A galled piston that decides to make noise sounds remarkably like soft white chalk on a real slate blackboard. Once you hear it you will never forget it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #72
Chaddurbox

1996 SL2

well that explains the squealing. i just thought the drivebelt was slipping. Really sad day for me. Almost a month of work for only 1000 miles. Makes me wish I had just dropped a new engine in it the first time. Just a learning experience I guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #73
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Well, it is always a gamble when you have a head crack and blow oil all over as to what else may be damaged and going to fail soon. The only way you find these things out is to experience them as it is impossible to describe it unless you have experienced it and then it is just confirmation of the symptoms. You could rebuild the dead motor or look for a local runner, that is the first decision point. As you have a good head the cost will be very close for either option.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!