SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #1
unpolire
unpolire is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 2003 3.0 V-6, rebuild or replace?

After throwing many thousands at an auction-purchased Vue that was not properly maintained, I now have to deal with blown head gaskets at 155,000 miles. The labor cost is high to do a head job, so I am considering replacing the engine with another or rebuilding the current engine, if it can be successfully done. Only the long block is original as all other parts are new or very recent. I know that some alloy engines cannot be successfully rebuilt. Is the 2002-2003 3.0 V-6 capable of being professionally rebuilt? Used engines that I see for sale are from 96,000-250,000+ miles!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unpolire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unpolire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unpolire is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 2003 3.0 V-6, rebuild or replace?

you spent thousands on a 16yr old vue at auction?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #3
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

replying about money is not an answer. are you going to do the work yourself? pulling the heads is not real hard. i got lucky last yr and picked up a botched 3.0 timing belt vue that had a new exhaust. which unbolted easily from manifolds. though i think even an old rusty exhaust will drop ok. you should also change the timing belt and tensioners which is another $100 or more in parts. you must really want to get this thing going. i have a similar vue lined up but am not crazy about getting it. even for $200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
unpolire

2003 VUE 3.0L

I have spent thousands since auction purchase in replacing all the external components like the crank position sensor, ignition coil packs, water pump, timing belt and tensioner, starter, alternator, battery, air conditioning compressor and hoses, gaskets, etc. Only the heads and pan have not come off and are original. My question regards the integrity of the 3.0 V-6 fitted to the first-year Vue. Is it capable of being rebuilt? Many all-alloy engines, especially some BMW models, are throw away engines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unpolire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #5
Cavell
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

been told its a solid motor. i replaced bent valves and did not refurb the head. no machining. and it ran fine. but i did not have an overheating issue to start with. i did get a puff of smoke on startup though. was it rings? or guides? i had it for several weeks and the startup smoke never got better

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2019, 07:23 PM   #6
unpolire

2003 VUE 3.0L

Thank you! The answer I was seeking. I'll now call a machine shop for a quote.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
unpolire

2003 VUE 3.0L

$1,695 to rebuild with a 12,000 mile/12-month warranty. Have to bring in just the block and heads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #8
Cavell
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

thats a vague statement, just block and heads. so much more as you know. i assume you mean the crank, rods, pistons are involved? you dont bring in a bare block. they are going to bore/hone cyls, and replace pistons and resize rods? an OHC motor may not even have the cam sprockets. timing belt, and tensioners and sprockets and timing cover will be included? they will check and inspect cams for lobe wear? and replace lifters? which cost $25each and there are 24 total for $600 just for lifters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Pulling the head is quicker than changing out the engine. Either your own time or someone's hourly labor rate.

The engine is still low mileage.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote