SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #1
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default need a super window cleaner for lovebugs

hi sages- rode down florida turnpike yesterday.massive lovebug attacks on windshield at 70 mph slathered all over it and baked on at 90degrees. no success with windex. any ideas? is a single edge sharp razor the answer. car wash shysters want $35. thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: need a super window cleaner for lovebugs

Soap it up, and use one of those mesh covered sponges like for dishes. It should come off with elbow grease.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Windex with a razor blade and then super fine steel wool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rj 2000 LS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

hi sages- windex is generally good for cleaning surfaces in cars but it failed this time. the residue is like trying to remove dried paint. used very bad words, even slandered the muthas of lovebugs. afraid I will now be disqualified from the yacht and country club. has anybody used lately this product called invisible glass or is it a fake mouse milk. fear steel wool is too risky- permanent scratches to glass. sounds like a job for superman. thanks tons bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #5
Rj 2000 LS2
Rj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the roughRj 2000 LS2 is a jewel in the rough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Triple 000 steel wool will clean your windows to like new condition. It doesn't scratch, it polishes and removes any and all wear. You just need to first use Windex (as a media to keep the bugs from entering yer breathing hole) with a straight razor. Not the type that you shave with, I assume you shave. You can buy razor sharp utility blades which you can hold in your hand. It will take time, but your windows will thank you. If you were to use steel wool first, it would not clean the baked on bug remnants!

I use super fine steel wool on my wife's Saturn and believe me... if I scratched up those windows I would be in the dog house for life! I use an entire steel wool pad on dry glass. It works, trust me!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rj 2000 LS2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rj 2000 LS2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rj 2000 LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
focusofheart
focusofheart has a spectacular aura aboutfocusofheart has a spectacular aura aboutfocusofheart has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL2

Try WD-40? I used it on my windows after having my tint removed and it took off the traces of glue using a straight edge. It might work on bugs too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I've used 000 steel wool and its perfectly fine. In combination with plain water, soapy water, Windex, WD40, windshield washer fluid or any other type of lube, extra fine steel wool or a new box cutter blade will work to scrape off anything glued to windshields. With fine steel wool, bits are left everywhere so a rinse with the garden hose should wash away everything clean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #8
rfisher

hi sages- thanks tons for the info. where to do you get super fine OOO steel wool? ace hardware? home depot? will try the WD 40. yesterday picked up gallon of windex special bug juice remover fluid for windshield washer. seems to be a new product. will keep you posted. thanks bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
Dsaturn
Dsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really niceDsaturn is just really nice

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
hi sages- thanks tons for the info. where to do you get super fine OOO steel wool? ace hardware? home depot? will try the WD 40. yesterday picked up gallon of windex special bug juice remover fluid for windshield washer. seems to be a new product. will keep you posted. thanks bob f
Any place that sells paint and paint products should have 000 wool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dsaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dsaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dsaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #10
rfisher

hi sages- hit paydirt. solved problem. used a combination of a new single edge razor blade, a clean rag dampened with windex bug remover windshield washer fluid and OOO extra fine steel wool, alternating back and forth . got all the slop off. florida heat baked it on like paint. like it when the forgotten man wins and beats the shysters. regards bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #11
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusofheart View Post
Try WD-40? I used it on my windows after having my tint removed and it took off the traces of glue using a straight edge. It might work on bugs too.
Not the brightest move here roadman. Oil leaves stain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #12
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I use RainX winter formula with bug wash this gives the windshield clean and gets rid of bug stains. This works when on the go if your at home soaking the windshield down and using a auto cleaning brush goes along way to remove the bug splats. RainX isn't cheap but if you want good cleaning don't cheap out on keeping the windshield visible.

Last edited by Russet; 06-04-2019 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: revise

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:09 PM   #13
focusofheart
focusofheart has a spectacular aura aboutfocusofheart has a spectacular aura aboutfocusofheart has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
Not the brightest move here roadman. Oil leaves stain.
To be sure I was not causing a problem, I researched out my suggestion of using WD-40 prior to posting the comment, even though I had used it myself on my car windows without harm. I also used a simple solution of Fels-Naptha to get off the residue which was left rather than use a detergent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is online now   Reply With Quote