SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
09AuraBuy
09AuraBuy is on a distinguished road

Default Thinking of Buying - Have Questions

Hello. I am looking at a Saturn Aura and have some questions that I am hoping you all can answer.

Bluetooth - I believe it is only available on the 2009 and it had to have certain package, is that right? How can I tell which have it without testing it out myself in advance. I've seen the phone controls on the steering wheels of 2008's but believe that was for control through OnStar only.

Radio Buttons - one I am looking at the radio buttons are worn down/off. Is that common? It only has 50k miles and I've seen some with 100k miles that didn't have that problem. Not a major issue, just wondering how the car has been cared for.

Service - have any of you had trouble getting service on the car now that it isn't made anymore? I doubt it because it is a GM but just wanted to ask.

Trunk - the trunklid on the one I test drove snapped shut pretty heavily/quickly. Not sure if the hydraulics were busted or if that is standard.

Remote Start - about what would you say is the range? Is it possible to install a 2 way remote starter instead of the stock one that is on the car? The one I'm looking at had it in a package (not sure which package that came with).

Is there a way to see the window sticker online - I know that Ford has that if you put the VIN in.

Thank you everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 09AuraBuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 09AuraBuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
09AuraBuy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
09AuraBuy
09AuraBuy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Thinking of Buying - Have Questions

Also, is the XR V6 the only way to get the automatic climate control? Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 09AuraBuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 09AuraBuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
09AuraBuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:29 AM   #3
underpantsgnome
underpantsgnome is on a distinguished road

bluetooth was 2009 only but can be added to earlier models with a different onstar module. my trunk shuts as you described. remote start seems to have a pretty standard range. can't say for sure what that is but sometimes i wish it was more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underpantsgnome's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underpantsgnome reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underpantsgnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:14 AM   #4
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

The AURA is a terrific(!) vehicle. I own a 2008 XR which is fully loaded with all options available at the time. I've had very, very few problems with her, thus far.

Bluetooth on the 2009's, IIRC, was not available on early built 2009's but became available on later built vehicles. The phone controls on the steering wheel are to answer and end phone use in bluetooth mode or subscribed / purchased minutes from OnStar. I don't think you can directly call OnStar from the phone buttons unless the system has voice recognition. OnStar can only be reached by pressing the OnStar button on the rear view mirror. You can probably ask a GM dealer to pull up a build sheet for you if you provide them with the VIN. I also have the 2008 and 2009 Saturn AURA spec sheets (in color) which may show what options and packages were available and what they contained.

From what I've read on the forum over the years, it's not uncommon that radio buttons often wore and, I suppose, that's dependent on how often someone uses them, oily skin, dirt, etc. Mine show no wear at all.

My AURA XR is going on 9 years old, built in 2007, I purchased it new in 2008, traded it in 2011 and bought my AURA back in 2012 from the same dealer. She's been running like a champ! Service is available at any GM dealer nation-wide (as it would be for Oldsmobile and Pontiac) and should not be an issue unless a dealer's service dept. is "difficult". The two dealer service departments I use never balk and I get the same guarantee on service and parts as my Chevy does.

The trunk lid (as well as the hood) have struts and they will wear. I think it should be a fairly simple DIY job.

I think remote start is approx. 60 some odd feet. I'd have to check the manual. And, btw, the FOBs suck. They wear pretty quickly and the interior breaks down and the door and trunk "actuators"(?) wear and often need to be replaced but, it all depends.

As mentioned, my AURA has been pretty darned good. Certainly no worse than any the Honda's I used to own. BUT, I will caution anyone looking at the XR with the V6. I do a lot of city and suburban Washington, DC driving and I ALWAYS get around 17 mpg. Highway mileage on road trips can be as high as 30-35 mgp, but the V6 has plenty of get-up-and-go!

Despite the delay, I hope this helps.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

Last edited by gpartrid; 03-29-2017 at 08:28 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #5
Glasact
Glasact is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My "09" Saturn XR has been and continues to be a GREAT car. With 71,000 miles on her, I hope to someday double that. I do have the Bluetooth but early "09" builds did not. My deck lid has to be pushed on to close. It will hold its own weight in any position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Glasact's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Glasact reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Glasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
Nigey
Nigey is a jewel in the roughNigey is a jewel in the roughNigey is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XE
2002 SL2

I wonder if the OP bought the car.... I bought my Aura about 6 months ago, and here are my thoughts:

1. my car doesn't have BlueTooth -for a reasonable double DIN that has it I think you are talking about $200 if you DIY and want the same color scheme and steering wheel integration). You can get a cheaper single DIN Bluetooth option for <$100 with no fancy stuff, not installed.

2. The worn radio buttons might worry me. Do the rubber pads on the brake pedal and accelerator show excessive wear too? Does the driver door not close perfectly? (i.e. hangs a bit) If they do, I'd suggest this car may have more miles than you might think. Of course it could be the simple answer is the radio system was simply replaced with a very old and used system.

3. As this is a GM car, I don't anticipate having problems getting it serviced.

4. My trunk lid will hold itself, that does sound like the hydraulic assist isn't quite right, but that really should be a trivial cost. But.... it may also indicate this car has done more miles than perhaps it is claimed (See 2.)

5. My remote start has a very reasonable range -I haven't measured it but never had a problem thinking I had to be closer. BTW, check out my post about reprogramming remotes and keys.

6. Don't know about getting the window sticker.

Some further points you may want to consider:

I came from a very old s-series Saturn. Compared to that car, I find resources (think RichPin on youtube) on the Aura to be much more limited for a DIYer, and the participation on these boards to be not as good. Additionally, I went years without a single issue (well, excluding normal wear and tear such as oil changes and brake changes) on my S-series -in the first six months of ownership for a 52K 2007 Aura, I've had the signal stem break, front speakers not working (had to replace them, and admittedly I didn't pick up on this when I bought the car), the steering pump leak slightly and the 3rd brakelight work inconsistently. While none of these issues are huge deals (fixed the signal stem see my post, put power steering fluid stop in, haven't fixed the 3rd brake light) I'm hoping this isn't indicative of reduced reliability.

While I find the car really nice and a considerable stepup from the s-series, there is one thing I really really dislike about this car in comparison: ease of visibility. I find the front door/windshield pillars to be annoyingly obstructive, more so than any other car I've driven. Granted it could be my driving position is just so it becomes an issue, but it is an issue for me. Add in the raised rear (OK, so this is more a feature of recent car design) that makes it harder to see when reversing, thought admittedly this might be just a case of adjust and get used to it.

Overall the verdict is still out for me, if this car doesn't give me much trouble in the next couple of years I'll be much more of a fan.

2007 Saturn Aura XE 3.5 L LZ4 V6
2002 Saturn SL2 1.9L (manual)

Last edited by Nigey; 04-12-2017 at 08:28 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nigey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nigey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nigey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:16 AM   #7
mejdep
mejdep is on a distinguished road

Hello,
Bluetooth is available from 2009 models and is not necessary contract any packages to have it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mejdep's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mejdep reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mejdep is offline   Reply With Quote