SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Power Steering and Brake Issue

Hello All,

I purchased a new 2018 Equinox several weeks ago as a new DD and my Aura has been sitting in the carport for 3 weeks. When I tried to drive my AURA after 3 weeks of just sitting, the power steering felt very "heavy" as though there weren't any, and the brakes weren't working well either.

I checked the steering fluid and it was very low. There are NO spots in the carport indicating a fluid leak anywhere. I put in GM power steering fluid and turned the wheel left to right and back several times and took her for a drive but still no improvement. Brake fluid level is fine but brakes remain a bit sluggish.

She's due for a State inspection in a couple of weeks and I'm thinking about having it looked at during my service visit. Although my AURA only has ~50k miles on her, I don't know whether I'm going to continue putting money into this AURA as she's already cost me ~$2,400 in repairs over the past 8 months, or so.

As mentioned, when I parked her, she was running like a top without any issues.

Can anyone offer an educated guess as to what my have happened to my AURA during the 3 weeks it's been sitting in the carport, please?

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

Last edited by gpartrid; 05-22-2017 at 09:38 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Power Steering and Brake Issue

Original battery is toast?

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysvue View Post
Original battery is toast?
No. I had brand new Quaker State equal to specs of the OEM battery intalled January a year ago (2016) and everything has been working fine - except this new absent power steering and diminished braking issue.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #4
gpartrid
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Could the power steering pump have gone bad, since this is also negatively impacting my power braking ability? As mentioned there is no indication of a leak on the ground beneath the car.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-07-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
gpartrid
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I picked up my AURA from the dealer on Monday for the power steering and brakes issue. They replaced the PS pump as it was leaking. The steering and brakes are somewhat improved but not what how I remember them to be. Then again, I have been driving the new 18 Equinox for the past 7+ weeks and it feels completely different from the AURA in every way. All in all, I was into it for almost $1k for the parts and labor for the pump, oil change, tire rotation and state inspection. They also determined I had "hot spots" on my rotors which isn't an issue at this time. I suppose I'll just need to drive the AURA for a couple of days and see where I come out.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The two issues are unrelated to each other. With the power steering pump failure and replacement done, steering should be back to normal otherwise bring it back to the shop and ask them. Brake rotors develop surface rust from overnight humidity and usually scraped off in the first few brake stops. If surface rust is severe, pitting may occur although not affect braking. If brakes weren't serviced at all when the power steering pump was replaced, they may need service.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:04 AM   #7
gpartrid
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Thanks for your input. I haven't been inclined to drive it since bringing it home from the dealer, as driving the new Equinox is far more rewarding. However, I'll have to make a few evening grocery runs this week and with expectant hot weather this week, perhaps that'll make a difference for the better. However, based on driving it 4 miles from the dealer back home did NOT inspire my confidence that my AURA is back to "normal". I'm going to wait another week or two and see what happens.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!