SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
tjd83
tjd83 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default Power to manual steering swap - is it worth it?

I've been thinking of pulling the power steering pump and rack from my 99 SC2, and putting in a manual rack. As an alternative to replacing the rack, I remember reading somewhere on the net about how to remove the seals from a power rack, so that it works manually, without the back-pressure caused by just connecting the racks input and output lines. Any opinions on that idea?

Anyway, is it worth the effort? I'm a reasonably big guy, so I'm not afraid of the extra steering effort, but I'm curious how bad it will be. My last car was a Plymouth Raliant with a bad PS pump, and I got so used to driving it that when I finally fixed the pump, I felt like there was no steering feedback at all. Will I see any real difference in power? Fuel economy? Handling? Are all S-series manual racks the same, and will they simply bolt into my car, or will I need a steering column as well?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tjd83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tjd83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tjd83 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Power to manual steering swap - is it worth it?

S-series racks are swappable, but not all the same. SL/SW & SCs have different ratios, as do the manual racks. Autox guys have seemed to decide against manual rack swaps generally, because of the ratio being such that it takes a lot more turning of the wheel to turn the car (a ratio that helps with leverage to make the manual steering easier, but makes quick steering harder). The one guy I know of, Adam Kob on 6S, that tried to remove the seals from the power rack to make it manual, gave up. He ended up just looping the lines.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
hein
Advanced Member
hein is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

I ran a hose from one side of the rack cylinder to the other with a T in the middle so I could fill it with oil. I just pushed 3/8 (I think) hose over the threaded bungs and then put a hose clamp on. I capped the fill T with vacuum cap. I figured it was an easier path for oil to flow than forcing it through the valve and those little lines. I looped the pump side of the valve to itself and the rack side also to itself to keep the valve from getting dirty should I want to put the pump back on. Filled that circuit with some oil too.

The driving effort isn't that much more and I only really notice it when I am negotiating around the driveway parking or trying to crank the car into a tight turn. Thought I had a picture but I guess not. Could try to take one if you want to see it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

my question is where are you gonna get a new belt from. You can "drop" the powersteering and the A/c compressor. you might as well get rid of both in order to get the best fuel economy. I don't know how much of a difference it would make but it may be worth it.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

To get a belt, if the no-PS, no-AC SL doesn't work, just take a tape measure meant for fabric and figure out the belt length that way. You may want to subtract an inch or two so that the belt tensioner still functions.

You may also need the ribbed idler pulley so the belt stays on with the new belt routing.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

hes right...

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
hein
Advanced Member
hein is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1998 SW2

I used K050551 when I removed the A/C and PS. You will need the ribbed idler pulley. I ended up putting the old idler pulley which I took off the timing chain cover on the tensioner. The 55 1/2" belt was a little long and the idler wasn't doing much with the smaller pulley that was on it. I'd go with a 55" belt if I did it again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #8
HStockSolo
HStockSolo is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
Autox guys have seemed to decide against manual rack swaps generally, because of the ratio being such that it takes a lot more turning of the wheel to turn the car (a ratio that helps with leverage to make the manual steering easier, but makes quick steering harder).
I actually prefer slower ratios for autocross. I didn't notice the difference between my 1995 SW2 (18.3:1) and my 1995 SC2 (16.3:1), and the 14.3:1 ratio on my 1993 Geo Storm GSi certainly isn't benefitial.

1995 Saturn SC2 - ST(X)ish
1994 BMW 325i Sport
www.furrin.org

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HStockSolo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HStockSolo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HStockSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

getting a belt takes little effort.
i have a DOHC WITH AC and NO PS. ya the belt took some looking for but once you get it, cave the box and thatís it.

"worth it"....?

MPG probably none
power probably not noticeable
handling ya. you can "feel" the road more. the wheel bites back over bumps and hard corners. but thatís just me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:19 PM   #10
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd83 View Post
Anyway, is it worth the effort?
no. no, it's not...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #11
ajs_saturn
Advanced Member
ajs_saturn will become famous soon enoughajs_saturn will become famous soon enough

2001 SL1
2001 SC1

i don't have p/s in my car and irun auto-x everyonce in a while with not a lot of problems. the steering wheel will turn 2 full turns both ways (4 in total), so yeah, a lot of turning. the only time it is difficult to steer is when i'm going under 5mph, other than that, it's a piece of cake. plus not having p/s saves gas and hp

2001 SL1 5spd - DOHC swap and MS in the works
Bought 02/27/14

2000 SL 5spd
Bought 04/05/05
Sold 06/14/10

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ajs_saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ajs_saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ajs_saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #12
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_saturn View Post
i don't have p/s in my car and irun auto-x everyonce in a while with not a lot of problems. the steering wheel will turn 2 full turns both ways (4 in total), so yeah, a lot of turning. the only time it is difficult to steer is when i'm going under 5mph, other than that, it's a piece of cake. plus not having p/s saves gas and hp
i don't think there's anything wrong with no power steering. i just think it's not worth it to remove ps from your car. cars that come with no ps are still fine...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Mine came with PS as a free option, in July 1997.

I wouldn't have paid extra for it, because I am used to non-PS cars.
If I start having trouble with the PS, I would probably install a good used manual rack instead of dropping $$$$ into hoses, etc.

Yes, it will steer slower, that's OK.
Yes, there are belts for it, because PS was an option after all.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:35 PM   #14
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Did it, found

No power gain.
No mpg gain.
Lousy for daily driving.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 AM   #15
cfg83
Advanced Member
cfg83 is on a distinguished road

tjd83 -

You probably already read it, but here is my thread on the subject :

Converting Power Steering to Manual Steering?
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=101288

It's on my to-do list to do the "easy-reversible mod" that leaves the pump on the belt.

I have always liked the "feel" of manual steering, so that's one of the reasons I was thinking of doing it.

CarloSW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cfg83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cfg83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:29 AM   #16
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

It's a 54" belt on a '93 DOHC with no A/C and no P/S.
Don't think it was worth it but I'm not going to bother putting it back in unless I find a SC2. It's rather annoying having to turn the wheel almost 1/2 turn more then I'm used to doing to get the same "turn."

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 10:57 PM   #17
Cat Fuzz
Cat Fuzz is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2

I did this swap the other way. Manual to power. I had to change the part that the steering column connects to on the rack, and the idler pulley or tensioner pulley will have to be changed. Can't remember which one. You shouldn't have a problem finding a belt. My car had A/C but no PS so there must be a belt for it.

03 GMC Envoy XL
99 Isuzu Rodeo V-6, 4WD, Rebuilt 3.2L with 3.5L internals
63 Mercury Comet Convertible

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cat Fuzz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cat Fuzz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cat Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:19 PM   #18
CND_SC1
Advanced Member
CND_SC1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1

Mine came with the PS, but personally I prefer the feel of manual steering on a small car. Plus it's just another thing to worry about having to fix as well as adding drag on the crank.

On a car the size of an S-series or Ion, PS is completely unnecessary except for those very elderly or arthric. One of my grandmothers first started driving after becoming widowed in her mid-50's and had no problems at all steering a '69 VW Bug.

I wouldn't go through the trouble of removing my PS, but if it was crappingout, I'd definitely look for an alternative if it couldn't be fixed for under $200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CND_SC1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CND_SC1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CND_SC1 is offline   Reply With Quote