SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2019, 03:00 PM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default oil in coolant fixed, but...

1997 SL

I check the coolant bottle every day. I still get a thin film of oil in it, which I suck out and replace with new coolant (maybe a spoonful or 2). But it's not that ugly green milkshake!

I know that oil had coated the engine innards etc. when the oil and coolant mixed.

When do you think it will finally clear up? Then I will change the coolant again.

Yes I ran Cascade and distilled water in it for a few dozen miles, after I fixed the head gasket. A lot of glop came out when I drained the system.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: oil in coolant fixed, but...

By the book all hoses are supposed to be replaced along with the thermostat and then the system flushed with TSP and water. Automatic Dishwasher Detergent has been neutered and no longer contains TSP. So, there is a product on the grocery store shelf that is labeled as a dishwasher performance booster or a glassware spot preventer. Check ingredients and you are looking for TSP, TriSodiumPhosphate. Spic and Span may also still be a container of TSP. You may find it in the paint department as wall washing compound. This requires reading the back of packages until you score the prize. Once you find it start dumping a couple of table spoons every time you have to suck out oil sludge. It will mix with the coolant just fine.

Easy fix...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
Default Re: oil in coolant fixed, but...

Most hardware stores will carry a tub or box of TSP. Stuff is great for cleaning stuff. 1 lb on Amazon is <$8.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote