SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
Idea 880 vs 893 Fog Light Bulbs or Something else?

I drove some very foggy dark mountain roads this past weekend and decided it was time to try new bulbs in the stock SL2 foglights. They've never been operable since the car has been in my possession and I've never bothered with them. They my not even function, but I'm hoping new bulbs are all that's needed. Maybe I'll check the voltage at the harness / socket if I find it's straightforward enough.

Anyway, search is failing me a little here. There's some mention that the stock 880 bulbs burn out too quickly and that stepping up to the 893 bulb is the solution, but that goes back 5 or even 10 years. Is that still considered a smart choice or is there even a newer alternative someone is aware of that hasn't gotten much mention? Do the 880's really have that high a failure rate?

I'm pretty leery of the increased Wattage and any extra draw on the system given the tendency to melt terminals. I feel like I've been pretty fortunate to avoid any electrical gremlins so far and I REALLY don't want to encourage any.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: 880 vs 893 Fog Light Bulbs or Something else?

Looks like the 880 is 32w, the 893 is 37.5w and the 885 is 50w.
Other's with plastic housing's for the fog lights have them (885) work fine, I'd be more worried about the increased load on the factory overloaded wiring. I'd suggest using the factory circuit to turn on/off a dedicated (custom) power source for them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #3
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Superbright LEDís has white 4000 lumen 880 ledsís.

RockAuto has yellow Hella 880 bulbs...

I like the yellow in fog...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
Keblar

2002 SL2

They're all low enough in price at RA that I'll just try out the Hella 880's for now. If they burn out I'll move up.

I'm still not sure I trust any of the LED bulb upgrades for the price. They all either seem too dim, too cycling prone, too short lived, or all 3, and not even for as cheap as the Halogens.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Mine are useless. I'm not motivated enough to try new bulbs.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Replacements that actually work are rather expensive and are a real pain to mount properly because you have to dismantle most of the front bumper structure to drill mounting holes. If you never have to drive in fog then skip them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Looks like the 880 is 32w, the 893 is 37.5w and the 885 is 50w.
Other's with plastic housing's for the fog lights have them (885) work fine, I'd be more worried about the increased load on the factory overloaded wiring. I'd suggest using the factory circuit to turn on/off a dedicated (custom) power source for them.
Any suggestion on the relay we should use to power the 885 bulbs?
Like Waiex191ís, my factory stock fog lights are just decorative daytime running lights, part of the chickmagnet option package.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #8
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Relay with a pre-made pigtail & connector <example> (that's a 5pin relay, you won't need the 87a pin for this)

If you want it removable from the car again without cutting up the stock wiring you'll also need a pigtail for the 880 bulb <example>
It'd also be a good idea to have a fuse for the new wiring "just in case" <example> (50w x 2 = 100w....100/12 = 8.33a so really only a 10a fuse is needed)

Then you just have to wire all those together with whatever length is required (guessing 2x 4ft and 4x 2ft sections) of whatever color you like wire (ideally each function is it's own color but it'd function fine with all colored the same).

The cheapest, most hacky way to do all that is to pull a relay from a parts car (any car with a relay), plug everything together with spade connectors and snip off the factory bulb pigtail. Coat with dielectric grease and cover with tape or slather hot-glue to give some weather resistance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #9
Keblar

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Mine are useless. I'm not motivated enough to try new bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Replacements that actually work are rather expensive and are a real pain to mount properly because you have to dismantle most of the front bumper structure to drill mounting holes. If you never have to drive in fog then skip them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Like Waiex191ís, my factory stock fog lights are just decorative daytime running lights, part of the chickmagnet option package.
Are ALL the stock foglights useless then, even in the 3rd gen? The reflectors and lens look decent to me.

Is that why there's so much talk about mods and higher output bulbs? I thought it was just folks trying to squeeze more out of a design, not that the design is inherently so terrible that it's purely cosmetic.

I use the "driving lights" on my newer Hyundai quite a bit, both in poor vis and just to help spot potholes, and find them pretty useful (they are a focused design though.) That's what made me think of getting the SL2's operational again.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2019, 12:42 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The reflector is vapor deposited aluminum and the entire lamp is low temperature plastic. Install high output incandescent bulbs and it will melt them. The reflector is too small to be effective. As I said the small ones that look OEM that work are highly sophisticated and expensive. There are LEDs that will work and last but they get very hot as well.

I have made this mod and I can tell you that it is a bit difficult and eats up a fist full of dollars. A SL will be lower cost and work. A SC will be more mounting work and higher cost because of the lamp cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #11
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

The fog lights on my 2006 Dodge Ram truck-a-saurus are awesome in fog and snow. I shouldn't say my SC2 lights are useless. They are good for plugging in my timer and cabin heater in the winter. Enough light to see what you are doing, no chance of being blinded.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 01:56 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

My modded SC2 has excellent fog lights. Likewise the fog lights on my 94 F350 and neither are OEM anymore. The F350 are LED and other than being slightly larger than the OEM gen2 SC they would fit and function.

I live out in the middle of a large conservation area teeming with deer so good lights are required.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #13
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2
Happy Re: 880 vs 893 Fog Light Bulbs or Something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Any suggestion on the relay we should use to power the 885 bulbs?
Chick Magnet package...... Lolololololol..........

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #14
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Chick Magnet package...... Lolololololol.....
They werenít much good for that neither

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #15
Keblar

2002 SL2

Replaced bulbs. Nothing.

Switch does nothing.

Swapped horn and fog relays. Fog lights on, but won't turn off.
But horn still works.

Swapped Relays back... Same thing. Fogs are now on, but won't switch off.

They do turn off as designed when the High Beam is engaged.

I opened up the switch pod and cleaned the contacts on the module, but no change. I'll read more old posts after dinner to try and figure whether it's still a bad relay that's failed hot or the (unobtanium without buying the whole switch pod) on/off module.

2002 SL2 305k + Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2019, 10:58 PM   #16
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A description from the service manual for '02 SL2/SC2;

Fog Lamps

Battery voltage is applied to the fog lamp switch from circuit 1200. The fog lamps will only come On when the headlamp switch is in the ON or PARK position, and the fog lamp switch has been pressed on. The fog lamps will not come On when the high beam headlamps are On. The fog lamp switch will energize the fog lamp relay by providing ground through circuit 317. This ground will also turn on the fog lamp indicator located in the fog lamp switch. When the fog lamp relay is energized, current will flow to the fog lamps through circuit 34. The fog lamps are grounded by circuit 150 through the forward lamp ground splice pack.

Below is a wiring diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fog Lamps.jpg (183.7 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote