SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2019, 07:06 PM   #1
SlayZombi
SlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL
Post SOHC to DOHC Swap

Yes, another SOHC to DOHC post. I've looked at some posts but I'm hoping to get a more concise answer, more of a checklist actually. I've got a 2001 SL with the manual transmission in it. I simply want to do the most cost effective swap. I do not really have the tools to rip out the entire engine so I was hoping to leave the block in (SOHC and DOHC blocks are the same yes?) and change out the head and valve cover. Other than the head, valve cover, exhaust manifold, and oil pan, is there anything else I need or is that it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlayZombi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlayZombi is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2019, 09:12 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Default Re: SOHC to DOHC Swap

Well, add to that list the timing cover, timing chain, and all that good stuff. I think the exhaust pipe below the manifold has to go or be weld-modified. How about the intake manifold? I would expect that also has to change; no guess on the ducting going to the TB. I can't think of any reason the oil pan would be different, but the spark-plug wires are. Oh... and the PCM, don't forget about that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #3
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

the swap is more than just swap heads and intakes.

Among things that are different, besides what was already brought up, the pistons are different.

So get ready to pull that block out if you want to do this.

Highmile
'95 SL1 692k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:46 PM   #4
SlayZombi
SlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL

Well now it needs a new clutch so this idea is dead, probably forever. lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlayZombi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlayZombi is online now   Reply With Quote