SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2019, 06:50 PM   #1
GMfromspace
GMfromspace is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Question Away from home!!, new EGR valve and a new problem

I'm really hoping someone can help me before I have to drive 3 hours thru redwoods with no cell service

Last week I replaced the EGR valve (including the gasket) on my 2001 SL2, and while the old one was off, I cleaned as much of the build up on the mount and in the immediate passage then started it and let it run for several minutes before installing the new one...... And yay! the SES light was no more. (Previous codes were P0404, P0405, P0446 - returned the next day, and P1404). I had already tried cleaning the valve, and with the desired position and low voltage detected codes, it was suggested I replace the solenoid. Unfortunately, the solenoid by itself cannot be shipped to California, hence replacing the entire valve. My Saturn has ran good since, no more stumbling on acceleration and fuel efficiency increased a bit. Until today......

I noticed this morning that there was a slight hesitation when I would accelerate to get on the freeway again, and just an hour ago, as I was exiting the freeway, coming to a stop at a light, suddenly it acted as though it was going to die, which has NEVER happened in the 4 years I have owned my Saturn, and I was able to get over while slipping into neutral (automatic tranny), and gunning it to about 3000 RPM's, then letting off, still wouldn't idle, repeated 3 or 4 times and finally found a steady idle at normal RPM's. Once I got to where I was going, I pulled out my OBD II and checked the codes. What it showed was P0401 (EGR flow insufficient detected, a [U]new[U] code, P0404 (EGR Control Circuit Range/Performance), and P0446 still ( I will be testing the purge cannister soon). I then drove about 2.5 miles to a park without issue.

Any suggestions of what I could or should do I would be so appreciative of! I am 3 hours away from home in a town where I do not know a soul, will be driving home through redwoods that block cell signals, but I do have basic tools (ratchets, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers) and my multimeter, light tester, and OBD II code reader with me.

Thank you in advance!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMfromspace's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMfromspace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
Default Re: Away from home!!, new EGR valve and a new problem

Someone else on these forums once wrote that he kept quarters for paying tolls and also for blocking the EGR ports in case the EGR valve started to malfunction. I've never tried that myself. Other people have mentioned spraying oven cleaner into the holes. I don't know if that works.

Last edited by edlee; 08-19-2019 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: minor edit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Do not squirt ovan cleaner onto aluminum!!!

Block the valve by placing a coin over both ports on topof the gasket, replace valve and do not over tighten or it will break.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

"Unfortunately, the solenoid by itself cannot be shipped to California,"

That sounds odd to me. There is no separate "solenoid" on those EGR valves, I don't think you get one anywhere; at least not from a normal parts vendor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
GMfromspace
GMfromspace is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Do not squirt ovan cleaner onto aluminum!!!

Block the valve by placing a coin over both ports on topof the gasket, replace valve and do not over tighten or it will break.
Thank you OldNuc! The problem has yet to reoccur and the SES light has not yet come on again. I opted to stay put rather than attempt the drive home without cell service and will head back home later today after I do a couple of deliveries that require going on the freeway (I've had Google maps see to avoid freeways). But if it does happen again I will def try the coin method. And I would never, ever use oven current on anything in my engine..... My BBQ yes, my beloved Saturn Oven cleaner
Now to figure out which wire is loose behind the fuse box and how to replace it for the HVAC fan

Thank you again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMfromspace's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMfromspace reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMfromspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #6
gveinot
gveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nicegveinot is just really nice

2000 SL2
2000 SL2

the aftermarket EGR valves are not as good as the factory ones. Mine has done what you described at least three times in 4 years. Just put the car in 3rd gear and fine a decent road that you can safely drive the car in 3rd gear ( not D ) for 1-2 minutes at 4000 RPM. This will force the carbon out of the EGR Valve and you should be good for another 8 months or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gveinot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gveinot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gveinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:08 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Buy this part:EGR Klean Screen gasket Dorman part# 47007 and install it. This part number is for 2 EGR gaskets, 1 for FORD and another for GM. It really does fit a Saturn. This gasket will breakup carbon particles so the valve does not get stuck open and cause the engine to stall. It is a common parts store part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2019, 03:29 AM   #8
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

I think the ideaabout replacing the solenoid was probably made by someone who owned a Gen1 Saturn pre 1995.

1994 and earlier used a vacuum operated EGR that had an accuating solenoid.

Later models are electrically operated. No solenoid.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:13 AM   #9
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
I think the ideaabout replacing the solenoid was probably made by someone who owned a Gen1 Saturn pre 1995.

1994 and earlier used a vacuum operated EGR that had an accuating solenoid.

Later models are electrically operated. No solenoid.
Hmm, but solenoids ARE electrical. I don't know how a vacuum operated EGR would use a solenoid. They have vacuum diaphragms.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:40 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The vacuum is turned on and off with a solenoid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #11
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

I was going to say a carbon chunk and get a clean screen.

Pull the metal tube off the exhaust manifold and clean the Orr in the exhaust manifold for the blower and remove the egr valve and try and ru a wire in the port towards the exhaust manifold.

There is an insufficient flow code for the egr valve and the smog fan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote