SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Tyson
Tyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default fuel lines

Has anyone cut off just the roughly 2 feet of rusty fuel line and replaced it with pressurized rubber hose? Instead of replacing the whole line itself? I know it sounds cheap, but right now I don't have the money or time to do the whole thing. So I was wondering if this idea would get me through this next 6-7 months?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2019, 08:12 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: fuel lines

If you are describing the main fuel pipe from the nozzle to tank, this line might be repaired with a length of plain fuel hose of the same outside diameter as the steel pipe. There's very little pressure on this pipe as the evap system checks for vapor pressure and vacuum to detect leaks. Vapor pressure is below 5 psi, vacuum less than 10 in hg or something like (negative) -2 psi. A combination low pressure/vacuum sensor on top of the tank measures values needed to ensure fuel vapors aren't released into the atmosphere as part of emissions control. Vapors are stored in the charcoal canister then drawn into the intake air system when the engine's running. If you can measure the outside diameter of the fuel pipe, try finding a rubber fuel resistant hose with the inside diameter matching the OD of the fuel pipe. Plain worm clamps will work. The smaller diameter steel vent pipe may be replaced the same way, measuring outside diameter to find a fuel resistant hose with the inside diameter to match. Both hoses slip over their respective steel pipes with clamps. This isn't recommended in any service manual but reality comes into play with certain precautions to ensure safety as this is a temporary fuel system repair and not recommended as a permanent one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
Tyson
Tyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you are describing the main fuel pipe from the nozzle to tank, this line might be repaired with a length of plain fuel hose of the same outside diameter as the steel pipe. There's very little pressure on this pipe as the evap system checks for vapor pressure and vacuum to detect leaks. Vapor pressure is below 5 psi, vacuum less than 10 in hg or something like (negative) -2 psi. A combination low pressure/vacuum sensor on top of the tank measures values needed to ensure fuel vapors aren't released into the atmosphere as part of emissions control. Vapors are stored in the charcoal canister then drawn into the intake air system when the engine's running. If you can measure the outside diameter of the fuel pipe, try finding a rubber fuel resistant hose with the inside diameter matching the OD of the fuel pipe. Plain worm clamps will work. The smaller diameter steel vent pipe may be replaced the same way, measuring outside diameter to find a fuel resistant hose with the inside diameter to match. Both hoses slip over their respective steel pipes with clamps. This isn't recommended in any service manual but reality comes into play with certain precautions to ensure safety as this is a temporary fuel system repair and not recommended as a permanent one.

yeah I was going to make sure the correct diameters and whatnot. I was hoping you'd say this would work. I just don't have the money nor the time to do the real thing. Hopefully sometime next spring. Or if we have a decent winter, I'll do it then. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
neurotopia
neurotopia is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
yeah I was going to make sure the correct diameters and whatnot. I was hoping you'd say this would work. I just don't have the money nor the time to do the real thing. Hopefully sometime next spring. Or if we have a decent winter, I'll do it then. Thanks
Have you considered seeing if there's a yard or a Pull-A-Part near you? Often times you can find a part you need off a similar car for pretty cheap. I know that fuel sender assembly is prone to rusting out and the replacements are all like 180 or 200 bucks on RockAuto. You can probably go pull one off a Saturn at the yard for 30 if it is still usable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to neurotopia's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help neurotopia reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
neurotopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
rfisher
rfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the roughrfisher is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: fuel lines ......the old trick

hi sages- do appreciate what po Tyson says. as a brutha po man and shysterism exposer, I have tried these frugal repairs a lot since the war and with a near 100% success rate. there is a supa durable fuel hose from gates which will perfectly do this. the worm gear clamps are good. btw priced through my sources the metal fuel line repair , found out 800 buckidos. this gates hose im talking about is used for submerged rubber fuel lines since most gas pumps now are inside the tank. clamps and a length of hose should be about $10. it has fuel resistant sheaths inside and outside the hose. put one in my old volvo 240 10 years ago and no problem since. I would recommend using that . and don't get shystered. good luck bob f

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfisher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfisher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

[QUOTE=fdryer;2304301]If you are describing the main fuel pipe from the nozzle to tank, this line might be repaired with a length of plain fuel hose of the same outside diameter as the steel pipe. There's very little pressure on this pipe as the evap system checks for vapor pressure and vacuum to detect leaks. Vapor pressure is below 5 psi, vacuum less than 10 in hg or something like (negative) -2 psi. A combination low pressure/vacuum sensor on top of the tank measures values needed to ensure fuel vapors aren't released into the atmosphere as part of emissions control. Vapors are stored in the charcoal canister then drawn into the intake air system when the engine's running. If you can measure the outside diameter of the fuel pipe, try finding a rubber fuel resistant hose with the inside diameter matching the OD of the fuel pipe. Plain worm clamps will work. The smaller diameter steel vent pipe may be replaced the same way, measuring outside diameter to find a fuel resistant hose with the inside diameter to match. Both hoses slip over their respective steel pipes with clamps. This isn't recommended in any service manual but reality comes into play with certain precautions to ensure safety as this is a temporary fuel system repair and not recommended as a permanent one

Thank you for the help. I will buy some tubing tomorrow. I was hoping it wasnít the filler neck. I doubt it. Would you say that vent line is 5/16 or 1/4? Iím pretty sure itís 5/16 just wanted to be sure

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I don't remember or recall diameter size for the small line. You have several ways to address size; cut the line, sand/file off all rust to have the original outside diameter and bring it to a store having fuel resistant hose (call ahead if possible to ensure they have both sizes) so you can make a trial fit to determine the right size, buy two lengths of each size or carefully measure the OD of the line. Small diameters can be eyeballed by holding a 6-inch ruler or tape measure behind the line so the line is super imposed on the ruler. Eyeballing diameter from a distance of a foot or more should be good enough to differentiate between a 1/4 and 5/16 dimensions. The markings on a ruler simply brackets both side of the small tube to give you good measurements. American dimensions are easier to measure compared to metric sizes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote