SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #1
Tyson
Tyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default P0455 code

Large emission leak. I donít know where to start. Should I replace the solenoid, valve, or canister?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2019, 11:26 AM   #2
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: P0455 code

Based on where you live I would start by inspecting the fuel filler pipe assembly, it is probably rusted through. There is a solenoid up by where the fuel cap is but the tubes are steel.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ What he said. ^ If you're driving in the Rust Belt states, salted roads eventually eat thru protected and unprotected metal. Rust and severe corrosion takes it toll on the undercarriage. A good example is mine when it started out as a small leak error code that eventually became a large leak code, P0455. Mine required replacing the main fuel pipe with a smaller vent pipe running alongside it. The smaller pipe (1/4" OD?) rotted from salt exposure and cracked to vent fuel vapors. The fuel pipe was fine but they come as a set for replacement. About $120 from rockauto. Used rust free ones may be lower in cost from eBay searches. Just jack up the right rear, remove the tire so you can have a clear view of the fuel pipe and smaller pipe alongside it. The evap system is complex with rubber, metal, clamps, solenoid valves, charcoal canister, etc, to capture fuel vapors for recycling into the intake system instead of venting it to the atmosphere. I may have some snapshots of the severely corroded fuel and vent pipes in a past thread or in my photo album.

While not guaranteed your P0455 error code is the fuel vent pipe, it's exposed to wheel splash, accelerating corrosion whether its water or other fluids splashed onto metals. The factory coating isn't 100% weather proof. Other areas where evap plumbing runs between engine and fuel tank must be considered too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #4
Tyson
Tyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Wow! Thatís a lot for a code. So start with looking at fuel lines first? Then solenoid canister or valve? Iím super confused at what I should do in order

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2019, 06:41 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, it appears complicated if you're not familiar with EFI systems and the emissions control plumbing required to make our vehicles smell sweet by not polluting the finite amount of air this little orb we live on provides us with.

At least two here are in agreement that your P0455 may be about rusted, corroded steel piping in the salt belt. Mine was severely rotted from winter salting in NYC. It might be a good place to start with a visual inspection of your main fuel pipe from input nozzle down and curved to feed fuel into the tank. A simple visual inspection. Is the main (3/4 or 1 inch?) fuel pipe clean? Is the smaller pipe running alongside it also clean. Or are they thoroughly corroded? Inspect other metal piping, clamps, rubber hoses, etc, while back there under the car. There's more to error codes than solenoid valves and wiring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2019, 11:56 PM   #6
02 LW300
02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all02 LW300 is a name known to all

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

You could remove the exhaust system and drop the fuel tank to look at the canister which I have never seen fail or start with the most likely part first. We drive these cars and I have parted out three completely and restored and sold three others. Just trying to help.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car now with KYB struts and adjustable rear control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:27 PM   #7
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My son'd 2003 L300 which has lived in Florida for the past 5 years was originally from up North and came complete with the no cost option of rust. He had the code and it was the rusty fuel pipe component. We were lucky in that I got a rust free one from a JY in FL, so we saved about $100.00.

Odds on it's going to the fuel pipe unit, so don;t waste your time at this stage looking at small components. Just go the likely culprit first time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #8
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
My son'd 2003 L300 which has lived in Florida for the past 5 years was originally from up North and came complete with the no cost option of rust. He had the code and it was the rusty fuel pipe component. We were lucky in that I got a rust free one from a JY in FL, so we saved about $100.00.

Odds on it's going to the fuel pipe unit, so don;t waste your time at this stage looking at small components. Just go the likely culprit first time.
thank you sir. Im taking a look at it tomorrow and will let y'all known

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #9
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
^ What he said. ^ If you're driving in the Rust Belt states, salted roads eventually eat thru protected and unprotected metal. Rust and severe corrosion takes it toll on the undercarriage. A good example is mine when it started out as a small leak error code that eventually became a large leak code, P0455. Mine required replacing the main fuel pipe with a smaller vent pipe running alongside it. The smaller pipe (1/4" OD?) rotted from salt exposure and cracked to vent fuel vapors. The fuel pipe was fine but they come as a set for replacement. About $120 from rockauto. Used rust free ones may be lower in cost from eBay searches. Just jack up the right rear, remove the tire so you can have a clear view of the fuel pipe and smaller pipe alongside it. The evap system is complex with rubber, metal, clamps, solenoid valves, charcoal canister, etc, to capture fuel vapors for recycling into the intake system instead of venting it to the atmosphere. I may have some snapshots of the severely corroded fuel and vent pipes in a past thread or in my photo album.

While not guaranteed your P0455 error code is the fuel vent pipe, it's exposed to wheel splash, accelerating corrosion whether its water or other fluids splashed onto metals. The factory coating isn't 100% weather proof. Other areas where evap plumbing runs between engine and fuel tank must be considered too.
So yeah I looked at the fuel lines and sure enough they are super duper rusty. So can you tell me where to begin and how difficult this may be? Iím not bad with cars. Not an amateur at least but no pro either

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post

Sure enough those gas lines look awful! How difficult will it be to replace myself?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

PM me an email address and I'll send procedures from service manual. Basically, start at the fuel filler door and remove the flexible collar around the fuel pipe neck to expose one screw holding the fuel pipe to the upper bracket. Remove the screw. Under the car (hopefully less than half a tank of gas) are on or two more mounting screws to remove and a clamp to the main fuel pipe to rubber hose going to the tank. Another clamp or quick coupler for the smaller fuel vent pipe (the most likely part that corroded and opened a hole that's causing the P0455 error) that goes to the fuel vent canister next to the fuel neck. I don't remember what I did but there's a connection between the upper vent pipe and vent canister. Two pipes. Examine the two pipes and look closely for mounts, clamps and quick connects for an overall view. It's not difficult to replace the two pipes, just tedious. The vent canister and upper fuel pipe hangs on their own mounts. Set aside a few hours and some tools, nothing extraordinary. The worst case may be severely corroded mounting screws, nuts or bolts that makes unfastening take more time. WD40 or other penetrant may be needed to help loosen and lube corroded fasteners.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!