SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
jpags729
jpags729 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default PCV elbow for fixed orifice Fram PCV

Good morning everyone:

I recently decided to switch to the fixed orifice PCV valve and bought the Fram Fv410. Upon going to make the switch, I noticed that the OEM style one in there had the plastic elbow on it to go into the pcv hose. A few questions:

1) Is there a way to remove this plastic elbow without breaking it/rendering it useless?

2) If question 1 is no, do they sell a version of the plastic elbow? Part #? (Autozone says there isn't one for the saturn but they do sell a variety of general dorman ones)

3) On rockauto, up to the 1996 model year, they list out the Dorman grommet 42341 and AC delco hose 21007297, but they are not listed for the 1999 model year which I have (built in Feb 98 so gen 2 style engine before changes made). Will buying this hose solve the issue of the plastic elbow and will this grommet fit?

Appreciate it and a great weekend to everyone!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...on)+hose,11784

Current:
1999 Saturn SL2 1.9 "Sophia Loren 2"
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4
1993 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7

Previous:
2007 Chevy Malibu LS 2.2
2003 Nissan Altima SE 3.5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpags729's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpags729 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpags729 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: PCV elbow for fixed orifice Fram PCV

#1 yes hair dryer on high or heat gun set for 180F or so.

#2 Do not ever tell the counter guy what you are using a part on when you give them a part number. If you do you will get all kinds of bad info.

#3 all 99 model year Saturns have the narrow head engine. If you relly want to check match the dash VIN plate to the engine vin stamping and they better match. The PCV grommet will fit. Feb 98 build date would be a 98 model year car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
jpags729

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
#1 yes hair dryer on high or heat gun set for 180F or so.

#2 Do not ever tell the counter guy what you are using a part on when you give them a part number. If you do you will get all kinds of bad info.

#3 all 99 model year Saturns have the narrow head engine. If you relly want to check match the dash VIN plate to the engine vin stamping and they better match. The PCV grommet will fit. Feb 98 build date would be a 98 model year car.
Thanks for the help OldNuc. I only checked Autozone's website so don't worry wasn't actually gonna ask for the info from them lol. I mistyped and wrote 98 instead of Feb 99. Just wanted to make sure the new grommet would fit. I guess the Delco hose with the clamps won't fit though due to the narrow head engine? I watched Richpin's video and he has that version of the hose and I believe he was working on his blue 98 SL2. It looks like that hose has the necessary elbow built into it, only reason I'm asking. Thanks again.

Current:

Previous:
2007 Chevy Malibu LS 2.2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jpags729 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2019, 02:51 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

There are molded hoses with an elbow in them or you can find the generic nylon elbows and use a straight piece of hose. This can turn into an arts and crafts project.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #5
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Look on Rock Auto under other years...

I see some with the elbow under 2002...

This is true for many parts,
looking under SC, SL or SW,
and/or a different year
can yield more results...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #6
jpags729

1999 SL2

Well followed your advice OldNuc and used a hair dryer to the old AC Delco version with the plastic elbow and got it off with no trouble. Fram PCV is now in and hopefully curbs my oil burning. Thanks again!

And I did pull the older style pcv hose from a 97 SL2 down at the junkyard and it did not sit right as it was about 1/2 inch too short and this caused the pcv valve to sit at an angle. That's when I decided to heat the other one and keep the current s shaped hose. Basically was an arts and crafts project haha!

Current:

Previous:
2007 Chevy Malibu LS 2.2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes, I have made several of those hoses fit nicely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!