SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2019, 02:22 PM   #1
prioris
prioris is a jewel in the roughprioris is a jewel in the roughprioris is a jewel in the rough

Default will this horn fit

Will this horn fit my 1999 Saturn Sl1
https://www.carparts.com/horn/replacement/repc502504

seems like a generic part
according to car parts, it says it is a fit it seems to fit a zillion cars

I just want to be sure it is a direct fit and there is no need to fabricate anything to get it to fit correctly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to prioris's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help prioris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
prioris is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Default Re: will this horn fit

No. You would need to modify the cars wiring and connector.
Your car should have the three wire horn. The local junk yard or ebay are your best bets if you want a drop in part.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Yep, what Claybury said. It's not a matter of fitting, it's the electrical connections. The 3-wire horns have an internal relay that fails.

Richpin has a video up now (or did, several years ago), for the 3- to 2-wire horn conversion based in part or whole on something OldNuc posted a while back. It's not overly difficult and once you do that, you can use any 2-wire horn.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:32 PM   #4
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Here is my horn fix:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&postcount=101

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&postcount=103

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...&postcount=107

Or you can just go to page 6.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=234273&page=6

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:11 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you use an incorrect relay you will still burn out the clock spring and/or the horn buttons. This will happen immediately or last for enough time you think it is fixed. The richpin video has all the correct information on how to do this correctly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #6
prioris
prioris is a jewel in the roughprioris is a jewel in the roughprioris is a jewel in the rough

It's amazing they would even sell the part as a fit. Any link to a correct part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help prioris reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2019, 09:20 PM   #7
prioris

i don't want to mess with wires

this is what i found on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-1999-S...-/271300839839

i assume this will work

but this shows same part number
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-pa...-horn-21024585

but says will not fit

something i found on rockauto
More Information for ACDELCO 21024585

The ACDelco GM Original Equipment Replacement Horn is a GM-recommended replacement for your vehicle's original component. Activated within your vehicle's steering wheel, the Original Equipment Replacement Horn will make an audible noise at the front of your vehicle to signal or alert other drivers. This original equipment replacement horn has been manufactured to fit your specific GM vehicle, providing the same performance, durability, and service life you expect from General Motors.

heres amazon
https://www.amazon.com/General-Motor...999+Saturn+SL1

Last edited by prioris; 08-23-2019 at 09:34 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #8
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prioris View Post
...Any link to a correct part.
Here is the part number, 21024585
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-l...eld-parts.html

Is there a way to test an S-Series horn in a salvage yard, besides hooking-up a 12-volt battery to the battery cables?

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #9
prioris

amazon post ... same as OldNuc said
"The horn used on my 1996 Saturn Wagon is a very special 3 wire horn in which the relay is located within the horn. If you use a generic horn which is a 2 wire design you will destroy the horn contacts within the steering column due to the horn contacts having to handle the full horn current. You must use a 3 wire horn, and that's why I purchased this horn that is the OEM horn for my vehicle. Works great."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-23-2019, 11:10 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You can probably build your own using the exact same part richpin used for less money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
prioris

OldNuc ... i know but in the end, there is only a difference of around $15 dollars
... ease of installation is easily worth that ... i'm focused on getting my car to pass inspection and not worry about smaller stuff ... the really big cost for me was getting the underside of my car repaired ... i was picturing myself being like fred flintstone car and using my feet to drive the car ... lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2019, 09:51 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

As long as you recognize the differences then it is all up to you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!