SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
NFSmaster16
NFSmaster16 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Axle Seal

I was just wondering if anyone knew how the get the inner axle seal off without having to take out the transmission.

Thanks in Advanced

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NFSmaster16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NFSmaster16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NFSmaster16 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Axle Seal

Can you be a little more specific please?

On the outside of the transmission on both outputs, there is an oil seal each side. To replace that you remove it with a screwdriver or pick tool, then carefully insert the new seal, then tap it into place. you can use the old seal as the piece to tap against, therefore avoiding damaging the rubber seal.

If you mean the seal/bush that fits on the stub axles, then you have to remove the stub axles.

Neither of these jobs requires removing the transmission. You will however need to remove the respective drive shaft in order to replace the Seal.

How do I know? Just had these all done last week when the garage replaced the drive shafts on my son's L300.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
NFSmaster16
NFSmaster16 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Axle Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
Can you be a little more specific please?

On the outside of the transmission on both outputs, there is an oil seal each side. To replace that you remove it with a screwdriver or pick tool, then carefully insert the new seal, then tap it into place. you can use the old seal as the piece to tap against, therefore avoiding damaging the rubber seal.

If you mean the seal/bush that fits on the stub axles, then you have to remove the stub axles.

Neither of these jobs requires removing the transmission. You will however need to remove the respective drive shaft in order to replace the Seal.

How do I know? Just had these all done last week when the garage replaced the drive shafts on my son's L300.
Im a little late on the response, but Thanks! My Dad went at it with a hammer and small chisel I believe and got it out. He always finds a way to take things out that usually require more work than usual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NFSmaster16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NFSmaster16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NFSmaster16 is offline   Reply With Quote