SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #1
Tyson
Tyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Bolts

I replaced a water inlet unit but lost a torque bolt. Do I have to use those exact bolts or can I use any that fit. Right now I put on Allen wrench bolts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Bolts

Any bolt, including Allen bolts will work. Since these bolts are not for high load use like suspension or brakes, any bolt is ok. As long as threads match, the smaller head diameter of Allen heads may require a flat washer to distribute loads across a larger diameter on aluminum parts. The preferred hex head bolts distribute head loads over larger surfaces.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Tyson
Tyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the roughTyson is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Thank you sir. Once again this is Tyson. I appreciate you. You may remember I installed that inlet water unit a few weeks ago. Darn thing started leaking again. I took it apart and the o ring wasnít seated right. So I reseated it but it still is leaking. So now Iím having GM send me a new one. Iím thinking either the o ring is not doing itís job or I donít know. Do you have any idea

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Sometimes when things are disassembled, they don't go back together as well before they were disassembled. With aluminum parts, cast aluminum and seals for cooling systems must fit correctly to show for normal expansion and contraction. Check for deformation of mating surfaces and how the seal works to prevent coolant leaks. A dry fit can sometimes determine where parts mate incorrectly. Flat mating surfaces with either flat gasket to act as the soft interface to slight parts not fitting perfectly seals against leaks. O-rings fit in half a channel while the other half channel is the mating part for sealing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2019, 08:26 PM   #5
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

So I think youíre talking about my water inlet unit. What youíre saying is to make a gasket for this part? Iím wondering how that would be possible? Considering the unit doesnít have much area for the gasket. I thought about it though, but I guess I just canít figure out how to go about forming the gasket. It wouldnít have to be perfect but Iím worried that it would cause more leaking than not

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No, no, I was describing things in general. If the part you're having a leak uses a O-ring, use a new O-ring. If a gasket is used, use a new gasket. Both compress a little to form a seal. There's a little science to parts that need to be sealed against leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2019, 09:28 PM   #7
Tyson

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oh ok got ya

REWARD EXCELLENCE!