SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
kyles01sl2
kyles01sl2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default Having issues with clutch engaging

I just had a new trans put in my 2001 sl2 and now when I push in the clutch, it's hard to get into gear. It feels like the pedal needs to be pushed farther down but I literally stood on it and it still was tough to get in. My mechanic said something about the shift cable but everything was fine with it 2 weeks ago when the old trans blew. Would the shift cable Cause this problem? If not what would?
Thanks, Kyle

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kyles01sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kyles01sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kyles01sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Having issues with clutch engaging

If the clutch master/slave unit wasn't replaced then its most likely the m/s unit. A worn out clutch can do the same to make shifting difficult. Failure to replace both at the same time is just asking for trouble and revisiting the same repair a second time.

A simple test to help isolate manual xmission faults; if the shifts are easy without using the clutch with a dead engine then difficult with the engine running, its a cutch/master/slave problem. If shifting is difficult without the engine running then its a shift linkage problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I have read numerous posts of people who have replaced both and still had the problem of not fully disengaging. ...But ya.

Unless the hydraulic system is leaking, hydraulic problems are either going to be due to a faulty reservoir check valve (within the master cylinder) or possible air entrance. New units out of the box have weak reservoir check valve springs, so have fun with that. I have increased the spring tension to 2 pounds at 1/2 compression with fair improvement in operation.

Supposedly there is one type of pressure plate that requires less pressure and travel to operate properly, and I guess it's a Luk clutch kit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
cheapybob
Advanced Member
cheapybob will become famous soon enough

2000 SC1
1999 SC2

I hate to make it obvious how ignorant I am sometimes, but WHY do we always replace the pressure plate when replacing the clutch disc? Do we actually know there is something wrong with it, or are we just expecting it to go bad eventually like we do the release bearing.

Gone - 92 SL1, 96 SC2, 97 SC1
Current - 99 SC2 5 spd, 00 SC1 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cheapybob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cheapybob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cheapybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some have posted pictures of worn and broken fingers on their pressure plate. While it would seem reusable, once reused and reassembled with a new clutch disc and a worn pressure plate causes future repairs, its not wise to reuse worn parts in a place that's not easily accessed. Similar to clutch master/slave units reused after a new clutch is put in. Few get away with it but there those that wind up replacing theirs after more troubles. Its one thing to have easy access if using wrong spark plugs or even cleaning/regapping old ones - they can be easily replaced without too much crying but making a mistake with keeping old parts and not certain of their long term life as expected of clutch/pressure plate/clutch m/s units can be a poor choice. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule and there is always some flexibility as each repair has to be considered according to the car history/parts wear. There are always some that go as cheap and are successful and then there are the rest that try and fail when having to revisit a repair a second time that should have used all new parts where accessibility wasn't considered during the first repair.

Ignorance is the lack of information and perspective not expected of first time repairs. Asking already discards ignorance to learn of any information not learned before hand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:58 AM   #6
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

The pressure plate uses a diaphragm spring. Along with broken fingers, as was mentioned above, the spring can develop cracks that will destroy its operation in time. A cracked diaphragm spring will not hinge properly and draw the pressure plate out. It also will not apply proper pressure to the pressure plate when the clutch is engaged.

Best to start fresh. A remanufactured pressure plate is remachined (or replaced), and the diaphragm spring and any other worn parts are replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1238 View Post
Best to start fresh.
+1

This seems to be one of those jobs where most of your effort is spent getting at the parts, so it's a good idea to do everything right while you are in there. Not looking forward to my first clutch job (but will likely be in the next few years) but thanks to SF, pretty sure I can handle it

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 PM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

[Oops, wrote this entire post to the wrong thread. This is where it belongs....]

Back to the OP, since this happened following a tranny R&I, it's quite possible that it happened because whoever did the work failed to heed the warning in the written procedure (or at least the warning SHOULD have been there) to ALWAYS keep the slave and damper BELOW the level of the master, while the slave is out of the tranny. Succumbing to the temptation to lift it up out of the way is a surefire way to introduce air into the system. If the clutch job was done by a professional, and indeed that's what they did, then they're responsible for replacing the hydraulics at their expense.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote