SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2019, 01:01 AM   #1
454cid
454cid is on a distinguished road

Default First Post 2000 SL2

Hello, new here. I've driven a 4x4 Chevy truck for the last 20 years.

I've got a 2000 SL2 that I've recently gotten from my sister to use as a commuter car. It hasn't been driven in about a year, so it's going to need a few things. Brakes for sure, a mis addressed which I'm working on now.

First thing I've got to ask... has anyone come up with anything better than that stupid sheetmetal bracket for the battery hold down? It's huge, complicated to remove/install, and doesn't even do a good job of holding the battery in place.

While working on the car today, I found part of a chicken bone on the bell housing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2019, 06:57 AM   #2
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: First Post 2000 SL2

Welcome to the forum! Both my saturns have the stock battery hold down and it works well. Maybe you have a different battery? It is a bit of a pain to remove, with three bolts but I don't have to pull it very often. My '98 paid for itself in a year compared to driving my truck. That included a lot of new brake parts.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:29 AM   #3
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Welcome aboard.

This is a great forum and the know-how is second to none.

Since this is your first Saturn this is a great place to start:
http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=177672

As far as the miss, the SL2's are know to burn the exhaust valves on cylinder #3 so a compression test should be first on your list.

Good luck and post away...

Highmile
'95 SL1 685k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

If you use ( like I do) a pneumatic ratchet - all three bolts are 10 mm head. First remove the one on the firewall. Then the top one. Then move the air intake hose to the side - and add a 10 inch or longer extension to the air ratchet. Remove the inboard bottom bolt and use the bracket to lift it out.

Neverseize all threads and reverse for reassembly.

Whole operation under 1 minute.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #5
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmile View Post
As far as the miss, the SL2's are know to burn the exhaust valves on cylinder #3 so a compression test should be first on your list.
Fantastic... does the fact that the miss comes and goes eliminate the valves?

I've been pursuing ignition since I pulled the cam sensor codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #6
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
If you use ( like I do) a pneumatic ratchet - all three bolts are 10 mm head. First remove the one on the firewall. Then the top one. Then move the air intake hose to the side - and add a 10 inch or longer extension to the air ratchet. Remove the inboard bottom bolt and use the bracket to lift it out.

Neverseize all threads and reverse for reassembly.

Whole operation under 1 minute.
No pneumatics here. That deficiently would have helped on the fender bolt (I assume that's what you meant by firewall, unless other years have a different bracket). I had no room to swing the 1/4" ratchet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #7
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
Cam codes is typically fancy spark plugs. I'd get a set of NGK BKR5ESA11 plugs and maybe fresh wires before I got too crazy.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Cam codes is typically fancy spark plugs. I'd get a set of NGK BKR5ESA11 plugs and maybe fresh wires before I got too crazy.
I think the plugs and wires I pulled were original. I bought the NGK V-power....BKR5E11.

The coils are kinda rusty, too. I figured I'd change the wires, and plugs, and clean up the mounting area, and go from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2019, 07:56 AM   #9
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Welcome to the forum! Both my saturns have the stock battery hold down and it works well. Maybe you have a different battery?
It looks like it's the right size, but there is enough room between the bracket and the battery top such that it slides around a bit. If I had a piece of foam, I'd stick it under the bracket. I was surprised when I saw this hold-down. I'm used to the plastic wedge/block that my truck uses... so simple, and the battery doesn't move at all. I know GM wanted to be different with Saturn during this era, but I would have thought they'd use proven designs for things here and there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
It looks like it's the right size, but there is enough room between the bracket and the battery top such that it slides around a bit. If I had a piece of foam, I'd stick it under the bracket. I was surprised when I saw this hold-down. I'm used to the plastic wedge/block that my truck uses... so simple, and the battery doesn't move at all.
Yeah, that plastic wedge is pretty common, works well, and fewer bolts to deal with.

None of my Saturns' batteries could move much at all with the bracket in place. Haven't looked at it in a while but I think the hold down strap went between two raised plastic covers (that you used to use to open up and add water back in the old days before maintenance free)

Quote:
I know GM wanted to be different with Saturn during this era, but I would have thought they'd use proven designs for things here and there.
There's a few design quirks that make me think "proven design" were not part of the process

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:22 PM   #11
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Quote:
Fantastic... does the fact that the miss comes and goes eliminate the valves?

I would say yes but for the few minutes it take to run the test it's worth it to get an overall feel for the condition of the engine.

Sounds like it's way overdue for plugs and wires. Some scotchbright on the coil connection if it's rusty. If the coils are rusty on the outside I wouldn't be too worried. Then spark test the coils by having someone else crank the engine while you observe the spark between the towers with the plug wires off. Should look like a lightening bolt between them. If it's yellowish or anything other than an almost straight line between them then the coils are done.

Highmile
'95 SL1 685k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #12
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
There's a few design quirks that make me think "proven design" were not part of the process
Interesting that I'm finding that the PCV grommet apparently goes back to the 80's Cavalier and Sunbird.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!