SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
Brewerkz
Brewerkz is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 Saturn Astra XR

Any buying advice for 08 Astra XR, Manual transmission, 135k miles.

Are there specific items that should have been replaced by now? Problem areas to be aware of?

I do my own work on on my other cars, fluids, brakes, timing belts, struts, control arms, etc

There is one nearby for $3k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brewerkz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brewerkz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brewerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Default Re: 2008 Saturn Astra XR

Well the clutch and related is painful and difficult to replace. You can search here for lifespan but 100k is probably not a bad guess. My buddy babied the car but just had the clutch die next to his house without warning. $2k at local garage.

The timing belt interval recommendations are all over the place. I think the longest I have seen is 10 years/100k miles. But if you have no documentation, replace that as the z18xer is an interference engine. Get the timing belt kit to replace the idler and tensioner as some idlers don't fare so well.

Rear brakes tend to wear rather quickly.

There are a few cam wear issues to search for in the forums. If cold engine sounds a bit like a diesel for a few seconds at start you may have some new parts in your future.

Check condition of struts and drop links.

5 door check for water leaks inside passenger compartment. Difficult to fix. Also there is a rubber strip on the B pillar that is NLA; that will let water in when it fails.

The exhaust flexpipe needs to be replaced frequently. Get a welder to weld in a new section as the GM replacement is expensive

Roof antenna gasket fails and leaks water into car

Need to change spark plugs say every 25k miles else coil pack fails.

Horn CIM at steering wheel poorly engineered. There is a $1 clip from GM that sometimes solves the problem for some cars. Else this is a problem

Airbag recall program. Make sure that is still being replaced free and you can get the part.

Engine is sensitive. So you need to keep air filter clean, MAF clean, ThrottleBody clean, spark plugs replaced every 25k else engine is sluggish IMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
eric08
eric08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

AstraFasta as usual hit every nail on the head. He has a ton of posts with good info if you want to do some scrolling. As to the point about the airbag, I just had one replaced in mine at no charge by a local Chevy dealer. The service writer said they had no trouble getting one, which kind of surprised me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eric08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eric08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eric08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
AstraFasta
AstraFasta will become famous soon enoughAstraFasta will become famous soon enough

Thanks Eric - Trying our best!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraFasta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraFasta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I recently had the clutch replaced, along with some transmission bearings, at at cost of approx. $2,200. The clutch itself was $543 from Rock Auto.

Other than that, with 155K miles, basic maintenance type items, i.e. coil pack, timing belt, plugs, brakes, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote