SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #21
poorboy
poorboy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: An interesting brake rotor conundrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
I'm in the group saying the pictures look grossly wrong; like there is no pad at all in there. I know, you put them on "both sides"... does that mean both sides of the rotor or both sides of the car?
Are you sure the rotors are correct part#? It's been a while since I have seen a saturn rotor, but the hat part looks big.

94 SL2 Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to poorboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help poorboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
poorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #22
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Was the caliper bracket ever removed from the knuckle while doing that brake/bearing job?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #23
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

I'm with billr, where is the inside pad? There looks to be Zero room between the rotor backside and the caliper piston, snug flat between the rotor & caliper.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #24
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, I'm backing away from any consideration of the pads or caliper. I wasn't grasping before that it is the bracket that is rubbing; and that is all we have seen pictures of. The caliper/pad area is not visible in those pix. Clearance of the bracket would not be affected by the pads, caliper, or how the caliper slides. If the OP will confirm the bracket wasn't removed, then we are down to either the rotor is wrong, the hub is wrong (again, was it changed? or the bearing/installation is wrong. I think the rotor and hub have to come off for comparison to the old (or other side) and the bearing installation inspected.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:12 PM   #25
Bruce Rock
Bruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the roughBruce Rock is a jewel in the rough

2000 SL2
2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboy View Post
Are you sure the rotors are correct part#? It's been a while since I have seen a saturn rotor, but the hat part looks big.
I was thinking the same thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bruce Rock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bruce Rock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bruce Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:23 PM   #26
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Check the part number on the box against the manufacturers catalog dimensions. That does not look like the correct rotor. Go to RockAuto and look at the dimensions for a Centric rotor. Any Saturn as they are all the same.

This is it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE_12162037_Dra__ra_p.jpg (21.7 KB, 12 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #27
beaverplt
beaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to all

2001 SW2

First, Thanks to all you guys for weighing in. Lots of stuff to check.

I removed the knuckle last night. I had been thinking along the lines of a botched bearing install, mainly guessing I didn't get the snap ring seated and it popped out allowing the bearing to move. I cannot find evidence of that. The snap ring is in place correctly. It hasn't been asked, but I borrowed a bearing press to seat it.

Before I removed the knuckle, I measured between the edge of the hub and the rotor on both sides. The passenger side is 1/8" more than the driver side which I'm guessing is allowing the passenger side rotor to rub. I attached a pic to show the measurement I'm talking about.

To answer all the questions.

I did remove the caliper bracket from the knuckle. It made it easier in the press I used.

The hub is the original.

The rotor matches the part number and the measurements match the numbers in Oldnuc's attachment. I also compared it to the old one. They both measured the same.

When I cleaned the holes for the pins, they were both amazingly clean already.

I did not flush the brake system. I did bleed it this time on the driver side when I replaced the caliper. Could air possibly have gotten from one side to the other?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Driver side meas.jpg (47.1 KB, 16 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beaverplt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beaverplt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beaverplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #28
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I'm not sure what you're trying to measure but what you've got pictured with the measuring tape has no impact on the knuckle to hub face measurement (ie: hub/bearing fully installed). About the only "useful" thing you can measure at that place is how long the lug studs are.

Set the rotor on a flat solid surface hub side up, measure from the surface to the top of the hub. This is the rotor "height", if it's out of spec high it will rub on the inside of the bracket.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:51 AM   #29
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Problem is not AIR. Measure the actual disk thickness. Exactly what brand are those rotors? Who did you buy them from. Saturn rotors are symmetrical and 18mm thick new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46e4f72b-5b26-4053-b4a9-4e16e662d9b6.jpg (89.2 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2019, 11:52 AM   #30
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Either the rotor dimension is incorrect or the wheel bearing is incorrect or not fully seated, pick one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #31
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

beaverplt, is that rotor a correct replacement? Unless its obvious, is the rotor an incorrect replacement part? Other than diameter, rotor thickness and the top hat dimension (offset) may two areas to examine. The top hat is describing the hub portion of rotor fitting over wheel hub - the distance between rotor surface and drilled holes surface. If this dimension is incorrect, longer than your original rotor, this may be the source of the problem. Measure both old and new rotor top hat offset. Top hat dimensions should be exactly the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 160-12959-dw-lg.jpg (43.5 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:34 PM   #32
billr
Master Member

Well, I'm going to disagree (surprised?). You need to measure from the inside hub-surface of the rotor to the inside friction surface of the rotor. That, alone, determines the clearance where the rotor is rubbing. Neither the rotor thickness or that outer dimension to where the wheel mounts matter.

(I do agree that the measurement shown with the tape is meaningless for the present issue.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #33
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I edited that drawing for simplicity to prevent making it difficult from actual inside dimensions used for offset measurement. Hopefully something is revealed as to this dilemma.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #34
billr
Master Member

The dimension the OP needs isn't shown directly on any of the diagrams posted.

I'll call it "D" for rotor depth, and "D" = "rotor width" + "offset" - "face thickness". I'm trying to show the OP how to measure "D" directly, without the math and tolerance stack-up of using the other three dimensions to derive "D"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #35
beaverplt
beaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to allbeaverplt is a name known to all

2001 SW2

What I was trying to show with that measurement was that the distance from the outer edge of the rotor to the end of the hub. It is different on the driver side from the pass side. It's as though the hub on the passenger side is pushed too far into the bearing. To me that would indicate the bearing is not seated properly or it's the wrong bearing. Probably the only way to check that is to push the hub out and inspect/measure the bearing.
I'm going to remove the driver side knuckle so I can put the two knuckles side by side. Maybe then I'll have my "DUH" moment.

I'm dismissing the wrong rotor possibility for now. I measured them again and they both match the measurements on Rockauto's info page and Oldnuc's attachment. Considering they are both the same I would think I would have the same problem on both sides.
The rotors are Raybestos part 56169R purchased from Rockauto.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beaverplt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beaverplt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beaverplt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #36
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If the rotors match then the bearing is not seated properly and the snap ring is not installed or it is the incorrect bearing. Where did the bearing come from and who installed it? There is no way to press the hub in too far unless the bearing is incorrect or improperly installed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #37
billr
Master Member

Did you measure that inside depth that I suggested, is it the same on the new rotor as all the others? It should be 36+/-.1 mm new.

What diagram/drawing were you using to check the dimension numbers? I think only two drawings have been posted here so far; one has no dimensions, and the other (the Centric from RA) is obviously wrong. Did you notice that the Centric one is for a .43" thick non-vented disk? Look in RA for the Brembo #27148 for a correct drawing.

Oops, my mistake. There was a third drawing posted. It looks like it is probably correct, but doesn't show either that depth or the "face thickness" needed to derive the depth; so it is also useless for your purposes.

Use your common sense here. When you put the washers in there to "fix" it temporarily, the only thing you were changing is that inside depth dimension, correct?

Last edited by billr; 05-25-2019 at 12:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2019, 03:15 PM   #38
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Rubbing on the one rotor only not both sides?

Down and dirty...swap the rotors side to side to see if the problem follows the rotors or stays on the one side.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:46 PM   #39
billr
Master Member

^^^ +1

There you go! I'm just embarrassed that I didn't think of doing that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2019, 08:55 PM   #40
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Didn't the OP say he put his old rotors back on and had the same issue?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote