SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2017, 10:24 PM   #41
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL
Default Re: 96 SC2 bringing it back to life (slowly)

Just found your post. The car is going to be like new when you get done! What a great project with your son.
I see in the earlier post that you will be using the red paint that is used on farm equipment. If the farm equipment is made of metal and the paint is formulated for a metal surface, I wonder if, because you will be painting the plastic, Saturn body, if there would be an expansion/contraction issue---and would it be better going with a paint that was made specifically for plastic, etc.??? I really don't know because I have no experience with this but maybe someone who does know can comment? Good luck with your project!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2017, 11:24 PM   #42
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Mark,
Sometimes it is hard to step back, but there are generations of people unable to work with their hands because their fathers couldn't. You and I are working to the same playbook.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:42 PM   #43
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

@JerryHughes
That is a good question. When we get to the painting part of the project. I my take off a fender or door panel and just paint that part to make sure it will work well. I would love to just get the flacking clear off and reclear coat it. But I don't see that happing.

@Waiex191
Yes I think we are and I have enjoyed the thread on your build.
I canít wait until you and your son start the motor up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:39 PM   #44
gas3987
gas3987 is on a distinguished road

This thread is well worth watching, what a great project! My dad did some similar work with me when I was younger; so glad he did!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gas3987's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gas3987 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gas3987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:04 PM   #45
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_b View Post
@JerryHughes
That is a good question. When we get to the painting part of the project. I my take off a fender or door panel and just paint that part to make sure it will work well. I would love to just get the flacking clear off and reclear coat it. But I don't see that happing.

@Waiex191
Yes I think we are and I have enjoyed the thread on your build.
I canít wait until you and your son start the motor up.
The thing I was wondering about was not how well the paint you already have will look after it's done-----it's more a question of how well it will "weather" ---- expand and contract with temperature changes, i.e., regular metal paint on plastic surfaces. Anyone else know if this would be a problem, down the line??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #46
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Black Friday parts for my sons Saturn rebuild. $281.49 shipped.
We hope to work on it over this Xmas break.

I just got another sunroof motor. I need to look to see what else is wrong other than just a bad motor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Parts.JPG (39.3 KB, 134 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2017, 07:23 PM   #47
cpy911
cpy911 has a spectacular aura aboutcpy911 has a spectacular aura aboutcpy911 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2

Love this build! I have a red '96 SC2 as well. See my post: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228525

And I was trying to document via but not updated recently:

https://docs.google.com/presentation...9851a86ee_0_42

I do want to paint the car and really want to see how it goes for you guys! Will keep an eye on this thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cpy911's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cpy911 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cpy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:22 PM   #48
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

@cpy911 good to see your car is running well.

My son is off for Xmas break so we are working on the car again.
We got the motor out today and took it apart. No real big surprises so far.

The cat wanted to help.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171230_115731.jpg (87.4 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 20171230_115859.jpg (84.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 20171230_131830.jpg (103.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 20171230_171705.jpg (78.6 KB, 107 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-30-2017, 08:55 PM   #49
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I hae seen much worse.

Read the other rebuild threads so you don't repeat any of the common mistakes.

DOHC (1995) same 95-98
https://picasaweb.google.com/1159762...L6UoammvrKEsAE

Complete overhaul 98 and older engine
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170045 ehunter
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=145250 cboss
3rd gen engine and ltest info.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230898

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:25 PM   #50
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Looks good Mark! This is the fun part.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:26 AM   #51
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

@OldNuc Thanks for the links
@Waiex191 Lots of clean up ahead. We take apart the head tomorrow.

My son cleaned up the head liner a couple days ago. We just need a warm day to install the new material.

The pistons have the bottom rings locked in just like all the other Saturnís.
We have new pistons to install so we are go to go on that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2017, 09:55 AM   #52
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Drill holes in those pistons or buy pistons that are properly designed with the drain back ports from the factory.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-31-2017, 08:41 PM   #53
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I have a new set of pistons just waiting to go in.

We dissembled the head. The cleanup begins.

I see that there is no oil pan gasket what is recommended to get to seal that up.
My engine hone is older one with stones. I see most here use a ball hone? Is that needed?
I have only ever used a stone hone in the past.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171231_103222.jpg (47.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20171231_130607.jpg (98.2 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 20171231_130520.jpg (45.3 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Mark_b; 12-31-2017 at 08:50 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2017, 09:51 PM   #54
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Ball hone only. 240 grit for plain rings and 320 for molly, either one works just cut down on the full strokes from 6 to 4 if you use a 240 with molly rings which is the recommended ring type. Several choices for sealant, all depends on if you want next to no working time or more than adequate working time. RTV is no working time, The Right Stuff is limited working time, and Permatex Permashield, #85420 and you probably will have to search for it. Do read instructions carefully or it will not function correctly. All surfaces must be cleaned with acetone before applying sealants or gaskets, no exceptions. Permatex Ultra Slick works well as the assembly lube. Use this on the oil pump and do not pack with grease, use the oil system prime procedure. HAYNES is not correct beware. All info is in links I posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2018, 10:57 PM   #55
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

New OEM belt tensioner ordered
Brass Temp sensor and transmission temp sensor.
All new hoses, NKG plugs and plug wires.
Front seal for the transmission.
Oil bypass valve.
Plastigage, Permatex Ultra Slick assembly lube, Ball hone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2018, 11:43 PM   #56
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That ACDelco tensioner is not the original OEM design.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2018, 12:14 AM   #57
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Great I ordered the ACDELCO 38112 is that not the right one. I can still cancel it if necessary. I ordered it from rockauto.
Is there a better one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2018, 01:07 AM   #58
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Dayco or Gates, early or late housing design, they are all the same. Flat back is early and cone back is late design, they changed early in the 98 model year. Early fits all blocks but late requires the late blocks as the hole in back is large enough for the cone. Late design works better and plastic pulley to absorb shocks. Some last forever and some don't --pot luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #59
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I canceled the ACDelco tensioner and ordered the gates.
The car came with new water pump, belt, idler pulley and thermostat.

I forgot to order gas filter and oil filter.
Other than fluids everything else is on it way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #60
OldNuc

1998 SC2

WIX fuel filter and WIX 51516XP oil filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!