SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2
Default 96 SC2 bringing it back to life (slowly)

I recently bought a used 96 SC2 that needs some help. It will be my son’s first car.
It has good tires wheels new water pump, belts, thermostat. It had 85K miles.
I was told it needs heat gasket but we are going to rebuild the motor.

It was leaking some water into the trunk and we found where it was leaking. Today we put sealant inside and outside the leaking area. We will test it tomorrow.
The previous owner took black spray paint and blacked out all the turn signal lens.
I spent some time with lacquer thinner and Novus 2 polish.
One less thing to buy.

The picture shows the other one that still needs done. The one I did looked just like it when I started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (87.5 KB, 76 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2
Default Re: 96 SC2 bringing it back to life (slowly)

God speed and good luck Comrade. We look forward to your build thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

We have the leaks fixed in the trunk we tested it good with a garden hose. The tail lights are done and I am happy with how they turned out. Two less things to buy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170226_114633.jpg (40.8 KB, 29 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I took my headlight motor out it is a pain.
This great post helped on here helped me out.
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=143946

Yes my gear is bad I ordered a new one off ebay. This plastic one lasted 21 years I hope the new one last at least half long we will be fine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170226_170518.jpg (26.3 KB, 439 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-26-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The motor and gears are shared with the C5 Vette and 90's Firebird so there's proper upgrades available to that plastic crap gear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-C5-...del%3ACorvette

Can probably do any headlight mod/upgrades to your SC2 that people have done to those cars as well.

If I could find another '93-'96 SC2 5spd I'd be in hog heaven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #6
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Thanks for the info.

I ordered the $8 shipped version.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...86696&_sacat=0

I will be trying to keep the cost down but still have everything work on this one. I almost printed one with my 3D printer but for $8 shipped it was not worth the time to make one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_b View Post
The picture shows the other one that still needs done. The one I did looked just like it when I started.
Oooh, shiney! Nice work

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #8
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Thanks.
The long lenses on the trunk is not turning out as good so far. I think he added clear coat over this black.

I have not given up on this just yet.
The driverís power window is now working I took apart the switch and cleaned up the contacts. Now I hear it clicking in the door so I need to take off the door skin and see what it going on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2017, 02:27 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Now I hear it clicking in the door so I need to take off the door skin and see what it going on.
Won't know until you take it off, but in case it is needed,
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223010

(Occasionally I am off the forums for a while so wanted to post a link in case it turns out to be that plastic slider)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Thanks sweetÖ I like it.
My 3D printer may get to print something useful for this car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #11
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

The car will need a paint job. I have seen posted where some people have had good luck with tractor paint. I think I might give this a try with red paint.

It is Oil Base Enamel $29 gallon
Catalyst Hardener $16
Majic Reducer $10

I need a junk yard dash and inside door panels. Is SC and SL the same?
What years will have the same dash and door panels? 1996-1998

I have a 2002 SC2 and a SC2 1999 at a u-pull it place.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paint.JPG (76.1 KB, 442 views)
File Type: jpg Paint2.JPG (88.1 KB, 437 views)

Last edited by Mark_b; 02-27-2017 at 09:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-28-2017, 02:31 AM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You have one of the odd-ball years. The cluster is near unique to a 96 and The door panel might be as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

My headliner has no material on it at all. The visors are completely missing.
I just ordered the 3m Yellow Super Trim Adhesive and the fabric from Jo-Ann Fabrics. As suggested from this post.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180985

I looked at the photos in this post and it really changed look of the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-01-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Cluster will swap from any other '96 DOHC ('97+ has the upshift light on the wrong side). Possible '95 as well, but I'd only if it were the only option or under $20. SOHC's will fit in and function but the signal range for the speedometer and tach are calibrated to show higher speed/rev on the DOHC, it won't show actual road speed or actual engine RPM.

Dash can be from any '95 model or any other '96 coupe, it's a 3-piece thing that they turned into 1-piece for '97+ coupes and '96+ 4dr's.

I'd be surprised if a true 2nd gen door panel swaps onto it but may be worth trying if cheap enough. 90% sure the doors back are 1st gen plastic's with 2nd gen handle/locks cut in.

'99 will work better than '02 for swapping parts but there's still very little body parts to use from a "true" 2nd gen like '97-'99's are. '95 & '96 coupes are sorta Gen 1.5's while the 4drs were Gen 1.5's for just '95.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

My driverís windows regulator is bad and I need to replace it. I am not finding new ones for this car. I found lots from Gen 2 Saturnís just not for my 96.

I can get one from a junk yard none of the self-serve yards around me have Gen 1 Saturnís. There some on http://car-part.com but you wonder what you will end up with.

Are there any good options for this part?

Last edited by Mark_b; 03-05-2017 at 11:27 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2017, 11:29 AM   #16
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
My driverís windows regulator is bad and I need to replace it. I am not finding new ones for this car. I found lots from Gen 2 Saturnís just not for my 96.

I can get one from a junk yard none of the self-serve yards around me have Gen 1 Saturnís. There some on http://car-part.com but you wonder what you will end up with.

Is it just the motor or is it actually the regulator mechanism. Motors are available as an aftermarket part for <$40.

2001 SL1 MT (433,500 km @ 06/2019)
1999 SL2 MT (277,300 km @ 06/2019)
2011 Suburban LT (128,250 km @ 06/2019)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #17
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

It is the regulator mechanism I found lots of new motors.

I am just not finding regulator mechanism for the 96.

Last edited by Mark_b; 03-05-2017 at 11:51 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-12-2017, 11:08 AM   #18
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I my 2 cans of 3M Super Trim Adhesive came in. I finally got the headliner fabric from Joann fabric. 3 yards 50% off $23

The local store had to have it store to store transferred for me.

I went to Upull it. Bummer my son could not come you have to be 16 to enter the yard.

I got a new dipstick, map light switches, visors, 95 aluminum valve cover with all the bolts, wheel cover and a timing cover.
The previous owner did not take off the top middle bolt and broke the timing cover and all the bolts.
It took a long time to get that timing cover off at the Junk yard. You need to take a lot of stuff to get it off.
All these parts for $69

I will have to recover the visors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headliner.JPG (16.2 KB, 393 views)
File Type: jpg 20170310_174634.jpg (84.2 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by Mark_b; 03-12-2017 at 11:14 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #19
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Thanks.
The long lenses on the trunk is not turning out as good so far. I think he added clear coat over this black.

I have not given up on this just yet.
The driverís power window is now working I took apart the switch and cleaned up the contacts. Now I hear it clicking in the door so I need to take off the door skin and see what it going on.
www.car-part.com

You can scavenge used tail lamps for way cheaper than the cost of refurbishing the originals that were ruined by the P.O.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #20
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:

The regulator is a similar design to the 2-Door N-Body GMs(Grand Am, Achieva, Skylark).

The flaw is the center rivet. It bends, over time. I have found, that if you loosen the tracks and move the window up and down, it can prevent further damage. As the rivet wears out, the window tilts. Since the tracks are tight, this actually worsens the problem.

So, you can get a decent used regulator. Just make sure you adjust the tracks to have a tiny amount of play. You should only have to loosen the bottom bolts, of each track, move the window up and down to see how you need to reset them. Worked like a charm on my manual regulators. Left window kinda "stutters" at the halfway point, but it stays in the track throughout the total movement distance, where before it was tilting forward and coming out of the track at the rear.

www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com is for a Chevy dealer, in Kentucky. They may still have regulators in stock, or be able to order them.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote