SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #161
Mr Toad
Mr Toad has a spectacular aura aboutMr Toad has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Lo Idle AC mystery solved.

The verdict is in. The new Scroll Control Valve failed. The low pressure side is running about 80 to 100 psi at idle and 50 at 2000 rpms. The day the valve was replaced the pressures were correct and constant at all rpms. Either the new valve failed or I have something going on in my system that is taking out these valves. I am going to bite the bullet and have the whole system rebuilt to the tune of close to $1300. This is on top of the $50 I paid the first shop to do a test and diag, and the $255 I paid the second shop to install the new valve, and the $40 for the price of the new valve. I am glad this fix worked out for many of you but this was an expensive chance I took that didn’t work for me. No hard feelings, it was worth a try.

Thank Everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr Toad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr Toad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2015, 01:41 AM   #162
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Was this system ever serviced, refilled with sealer? Other than the original scroll valve with a rupture causing the lack of cooling at idle, this second valve seemed to fail in similar fashion, negating your disassembly as a reason to causing damage. Something is common to both valves failing the same way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #163
Mr Toad

2005 VUE 3.5L

Yeah, I could have damaged the valve taking it apart. I am the second owner and I know the first owners quite well. As far as I know the system has never been service until now. No stop leak.
Its got over 145K on it now so I wouldn’t be surprised if the compressor is flaking and there is contaminants in the system. I would assume that is what the little filter that came with the kit was for. They are going to replace the compressor, expansion valve, and dryer, along with a system flush so I should be good to go for another 145K after that. We will see Monday afternoon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mr Toad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2015, 04:07 PM   #164
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Its unfortunate to be in your situation and you may be the only Vue owner (to date) with two blown scroll valves. This is new ground. I doubt you did any damage when disassembling the original scroll valve as it was proven (albeit a short time) a new valve allowed cooling at low speed until it failed. The inline filter is used to ensure crap doesn't enter the compressor to ruin it.

If its of any interest, I have some photos in my album (here) of a disassembled variable displacement compressor a member donated for show and tell. You'll find the diaphragm valve among the pics; http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...lace-a/cat/500 and http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...to-var/cat/500. This vdc is used on the S-series cars with a large accessible locking cap on the rear of the compressor with a sticker warning against adjustment. Leaks occasionally occur on the end cap with dye. The diaphragm is used the same way, control suction pressures in a mysterious way beyond me. I cannot find any info so presume this is another of GM's proprietary secrets. Its enough to understand thermal expansion valve operation but vdc's and scroll compressors using scroll control valves are similar in operation but a mystery to me. I'll probably stumble on information years later, similar to finding info on Vue cvt's repairs online, finally turning up one one xmission shop willing to share their repair secrets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:20 PM   #165
Mr Toad

2005 VUE 3.5L

AC is working again. After handing over $1325.30 today I now have cold air blowing out my vents. Not as good as I would like but better than the charts say. I check it out in direct sunlight, 102 degrees outside and 110 degrees inside the car, humidity is 6%, I was getting 64.0 at idle and 57.4 at 2000 rpms, 6.6 degrees difference. I only let it run for about 2 or 3 minutes sitting in my driveway. I guess if I got out on the highway it would do a bit better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2015, 09:40 PM   #166
circles6
circles6 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Just had this done today and it WORKED!!!! Got the old parts back and the brass valve looked OK but the old spring seemed really weak. I think the spring is the issue more than the valve. Filter appeared clean as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to circles6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help circles6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
circles6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:12 AM   #167
Mr Toad

2005 VUE 3.5L

Lucky you! I wish I were so lucky. I replaced the valve, spring, and filter in mine and it only worked for a day then back to the same symptoms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-29-2015, 11:13 PM   #168
circles6
circles6 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Happy Re: Lo Idle AC mystery solved.

Going on a month with this fix installed and still cooling like it was brand new. This post should get a Sticky!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to circles6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help circles6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
circles6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #169
Bob33572
Bob33572 is on a distinguished road

I have a new compressor kit for sale. I could not get the K Frame bolts loose.bad rust at chassis. Check your bolts before ordering a compressor So I unbolted the compressor and swapped out the Scroll Valve and spring Only. Added 28 oz R134 and it works great..
Kit come with gaskets, oil,accumulator TXV valve

You will have to buy the $30. Scroll valve kit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bob33572's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bob33572 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bob33572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #170
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member
VUEnumber1 will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

My A/C cools very little at idle but is fine at speed. Do these numbers look like my 2007 V6 VUE is a good candidate for a new scroll valve?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2007VUE.jpg (53.2 KB, 42 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEnumber1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #171
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by VUEnumber1 View Post
My A/C cools very little at idle but is fine at speed. Do these numbers look like my 2007 V6 VUE is a good candidate for a new scroll valve?
Classic symptoms of failed "displacement control valve" - also known as scroll valve.

You can find them everywhere but my advice is to find a complete kit - consisting of valve, spring, seal and filter.

I try to visit forum daily but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:41 PM   #172
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Classic symptoms of failed "displacement control valve" - also known as scroll valve.

You can find them everywhere but my advice is to find a complete kit - consisting of valve, spring, seal and filter.
Ugh. That's kinda what I thought. Thank you for the confirmation!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VUEnumber1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:09 AM   #173
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

It's fairly inexpensive and not difficult to do. I just replaced the valve and seal, didn't touch the spring. Very cold at idle.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #174
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
You'll need to remove the suction and discharge hoses (one bolt for fitting holding both) to get at top bolt nearest the cat-con.
I was about to do that but the bolt holding the fitting was rusted and wouldn't budge with reasonable force. I knew if I pushed it, the bolt would just snap off and then I'd be screwed. I was able to get all 3 compressors bolts off and used a combination wrench on that top bolt. I can now shove the compressor around to access the scroll valve cover plate. Got those 2 bolts cracked loose and will continue tomorrow. No need to mess with the subframe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #175
aerial_22
aerial_22 has a spectacular aura aboutaerial_22 has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerial_22 View Post
I wanted to take the time to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. Especially goose737700 who stumbled across this great solution to the low idle a/c issue. I ordered the replacement parts and had the repair completed last Friday. It immediately addressed the low idle a/c issue. I now how ice cold air in the Texas heat. Along with addressing the issue of warm air at idle, it also lowered the temperature of the air I was getting while moving by about 30 degrees. The day before replacement I was getting an average temp out of the center vent of around 55F with the air on high in re-circulation mode with the outdoor temp of 100F. After the repair I am now getting a temperature of 32F. Needless to say I am one happy camper! It's nice to be able to sit at a traffic light or in a parking lot without burning up. Many thanks to all!
Well pretty much 4 years to the date I am starting to experience similar issues I was having before with my a/c. While I still have a small amount of cool/cold air moving at idle, it's reduced quite drastically. These were the starting symptoms the previous time, which eventually lead to no cool/cold air at idle. Has anyone else had to replace the scroll valve twice? I have had the system checked and there are no leaks. I may just go ahead and bite the bullet and order a new scroll valve assembly and replace to see if it once again addresses the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aerial_22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aerial_22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aerial_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #176
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerial_22 View Post
Well pretty much 4 years to the date I am starting to experience similar issues I was having before with my a/c. While I still have a small amount of cool/cold air moving at idle, it's reduced quite drastically. These were the starting symptoms the previous time, which eventually lead to no cool/cold air at idle. Has anyone else had to replace the scroll valve twice? I have had the system checked and there are no leaks. I may just go ahead and bite the bullet and order a new scroll valve assembly and replace to see if it once again addresses the problem.
I haven't yet. I have wondered if its necessary to replace the valve or if it may just collect oil and need for the opening to be cleared.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #177
aerial_22
aerial_22 has a spectacular aura aboutaerial_22 has a spectacular aura about

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
I haven't yet. I have wondered if its necessary to replace the valve or if it may just collect oil and need for the opening to be cleared.

-Robert
Yeah, not sure at this point. Being that the entire kit with the scroll valve, seal, and spring are now $30.00 I may just go ahead and replaced them all. I have a mechanic I use who is a/c certified that can do it for me, as I don't have the equipment at home to evacuate and then recharge my system. I figure if they are going to have to evacuate the Freon anyway, might as well go ahead and replace them. Hopefully this buys me another 4-5 years. My baby is at 244,000 miles and going.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aerial_22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aerial_22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aerial_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:58 PM   #178
mudstd
mudstd is on a distinguished road

would this also make the psi readings off? My low side is at 65 to 70 and the high side is at 125.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mudstd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mudstd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mudstd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #179
VUEnumber1
Advanced Member

2007 VUE 3.5L
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudstd View Post
would this also make the psi readings off? My low side is at 65 to 70 and the high side is at 125.
It's kind of the other way around- the poor readings are an indication of the scroll valve being clogged. I guess the answer you want is "yes".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!