SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 AM   #61
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Lo Idle AC mystery solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolkfrm View Post
I mentioned that to the person at tech choice and he claimed there is something internal with the valve that goes bad

how far out did your cover plate stick out when you put it back on? i had hardly any resistance on this one
I don't recall how far diamond plate was sticking out when I put the bolts in.

I couldn't argue with experts (Tech Choice) and I've read of at least one member restoring low RPM A/C by replacing just the valve.

Regarding length - see the pix of old and new spring.

I note identical height for each. However, there's a 10 pound difference in force needed to compress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old-New Spring.jpg (154.8 KB, 63 views)

I try to visit forum daily but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #62
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
received the valve from tech choice today, valve only no spring....asked tues if spring was included and was told yes, when i called today was told sorry no longer included....that said
I got mine from here late last week and it came with new spring, filter and gasket. I have not mounted it yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:22 PM   #63
Keico
Keico is on a distinguished road

Default Same problem I believe

Ok I have a 2005 Saturn Vue with the 4 cylinder 2.2L engine.

Same symtoms as most. First there was no AC when car was at idel. But when given gas it worked fine.

Now this year it has no AC at all.

I have ordered everything I need except for the Scroll Valve.

I read here the valve for the 3.5 is the same as the 2.2

Before I spend the money I took a pick of the back of my AC compressor.

I believe it is the same just want everyone's opinion.

Thank you all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0101.jpg (194.9 KB, 91 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keico's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keico reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:18 AM   #64
goose737700
goose737700 has a spectacular aura aboutgoose737700 has a spectacular aura about

It is certainly worth changing the scroll valve, you are still going to have to recharge the system anyways so give it a shot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goose737700's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goose737700 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goose737700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #65
lmchu
lmchu is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Just had one installed on my 2005 Vue with a 3.5L engine and its back to normal.
It was a bit of a job getting to the back plate housing but after 3 hours it was worth it now the shop who installed it now has a some new info that they never heard of.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lmchu's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lmchu reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lmchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #66
leolkfrm
leolkfrm is on a distinguished road

piece of cake on the 2.2, try and get a kit with the spring, mine did not

03 vue 2.2l 152,000 mi
06 vue 2.2l 43,000 mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leolkfrm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leolkfrm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leolkfrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #67
Keico

Default Here is an update

Ok I got the kit which came with the valve spring gasket and some kind of plastic skinny piece. I changed them all.

I applied a vacuum to the system

Then recharged

Now at first there was nothing then after about fifteen minutes I decided to give it some gas.

To my amazement there was air conditioning , but when I took my foot off of the gas it wa back to no AC

I am baffled.

Dont get me wrong I am happy I got some ac back but I still would like to figure why it wont blow cold air at idle.

I am open to any suggestions

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Keico reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #68
Keico

Ok I decided to tr it again.

So I evacuate the system.

I apply a vacuum

I add the R134A

Same results. AC only when I give the car gas.

Can someone tell me the AC pressure readings please.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2014, 10:22 AM   #69
leolkfrm

who did you order the kit thru? is the fan kicking in low speed when the air is on? it should be and it helps at idle, problem would be reisister now

03 vue 2.2l 152,000 mi
06 vue 2.2l 43,000 mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help leolkfrm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2014, 02:51 PM   #70
Keico

Quote:
who did you order the kit thru? is the fan kicking in low speed when the air is on? it should be and it helps at idle, problem would be reisister now
Got the part from here acpartshouse

My Saturn has the one Giant fan mounted on the radiator. It does not kick in when I first turn the AC on.

Which resistor are you talking about and how would I test if if is bad

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 AM   #71
Keico

Quote:
Not to be a bother but did you get my last message

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #72
Keico

Default New Question

You know this has me wondering.

I like to think that I have a pretty good understanding of how AC system works.

Now I see that on my Saturn the AC compressor os running all the time.

If this is true then should not the refrigerant be circulating through the system and if so then when I turn my blower on there should cold air.

However this is not the case. The AC button must be pressed to feel cold air.

Am I missing something

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #73
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keico View Post
Ok I decided to tr it again.

So I evacuate the system.

I apply a vacuum

I add the R134A

Same results. AC only when I give the car gas.

Can someone tell me the AC pressure readings please.
When idling and getting warm air what pressure do you show on the high side? The symptom of a bad valve is that the high reads low and adding refrigerant does not bring it up.

I can't tell you the correct pressure without knowing the outside temp and humidity at the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:22 AM   #74
Keico

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
When idling and getting warm air what pressure do you show on the high side? The symptom of a bad valve is that the high reads low and adding refrigerant does not bring it up.

I can't tell you the correct pressure without knowing the outside temp and humidity at the time.
I would have to hook up the gauges again, but I remember that the high side did seem low at idle, and when i did add refrigerant only the low side went up.

What valve are you talking about

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #75
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Keico, presuming you evacuated and recharged with the correct amount of refrigerant and have the cooling fan running (a must when a/c is running), below is a copy of your '05 Vue's temperature/pressure chart. I noticed a faint dye marker on one of the scroll valve cover bolts. Hopefully, this was the only leak from a well used a/c system and fixed with new seals when the scroll valve was replaced? It pays to have and use a uv blacklight if you don't own one.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Service Information.pdf (89.3 KB, 93 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #76
leolkfrm

Quote:
Got the part from here acpartshouse

My Saturn has the one Giant fan mounted on the radiator. It does not kick in when I first turn the AC on.

Which resistor are you talking about and how would I test if if is bad
it is located inside the fender well drivers side,

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=155986&page=3

pic is posted here, can't get it to repost, 1 to the left is drl, the one on the right is to make fan run at low speed

you may see it from underneat but it is easier to get at from the fender well

03 vue 2.2l 152,000 mi
06 vue 2.2l 43,000 mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #77
leolkfrm

Default Re: New Question

Quote:
You know this has me wondering.

I like to think that I have a pretty good understanding of how AC system works.

Now I see that on my Saturn the AC compressor os running all the time.

If this is true then should not the refrigerant be circulating through the system and if so then when I turn my blower on there should cold air.

However this is not the case. The AC button must be pressed to feel cold air.

Am I missing something
pushing the ac button turns the air on, compressor will also run in defrost mode

03 vue 2.2l 152,000 mi
06 vue 2.2l 43,000 mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #78
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Keico, presuming you evacuated and recharged with the correct amount of refrigerant and have the cooling fan running (a must when a/c is running), below is a copy of your '05 Vue's temperature/pressure chart. I noticed a faint dye marker on one of the scroll valve cover bolts. Hopefully, this was the only leak from a well used a/c system and fixed with new seals when the scroll valve was replaced? It pays to have and use a uv blacklight if you don't own one.

Hmmm, wondering if he had moisture in the system if he could be getting some freeze up.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #79
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I can only presume a good evacuation removed air and moisture to reduce chances of residual moisture from causing thermal expansion valve freezing. As I understand it, Vues have another low temperature sensor to prevent compressor operation, the evaporator low ambient protection (ELAP) sensor included in the txv's of Vues. Compressor shut down at 37F, resuming above 40F.

If the cooling fan isn't running with a/c on, this can cause incorrect cooling at low speed, local traffic stops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:12 PM   #80
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I can only presume a good evacuation removed air and moisture to reduce chances of residual moisture from causing thermal expansion valve freezing. As I understand it, Vues have another low temperature sensor to prevent compressor operation, the evaporator low ambient protection (ELAP) sensor included in the txv's of Vues. Compressor shut down at 37F, resuming above 40F.

If the cooling fan isn't running with a/c on, this can cause incorrect cooling at low speed, local traffic stops.
Its not in the TXV. I've replaced the TXV and did not find a sensor associated with it. It could be mounted elsewhere.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!