SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #41
02BlackSC2
02BlackSC2 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Lo Idle AC mystery solved.

Sorry the link didn't copy right. Here is the real one.

acpartshouse.com/inventory/116597-scroll-compressor-control-valve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02BlackSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02BlackSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02BlackSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #42
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BlackSC2 View Post
Sorry the link didn't copy right. Here is the real one.

acpartshouse.com/inventory/116597-scroll-compressor-control-valve
If my new compressor ever has this issue again I'll try changing the valve on the old compressor. I bet you could do this in frame, saving the hassle and magical wiggle required to get the entire compressor out. I dropped the engine cradle and still had to do some Houdini work to get it wiggled out. The FSM procedure is to remove it form the top and is time consuming as it directs you to remove the alternator first.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #43
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
If my new compressor ever has this issue again I'll try changing the valve on the old compressor. I bet you could do this in frame, saving the hassle and magical wiggle required to get the entire compressor out. I dropped the engine cradle and still had to do some Houdini work to get it wiggled out. The FSM procedure is to remove it form the top and is time consuming as it directs you to remove the alternator first.

-Robert
As far as I know all previous posters changed valve, spring and inline filter without removing compressor from engine bay ... I know that's how I did it.

It does help to loosen the two front cradle bolts at least 1/2 inch to disconnect and maneuver the compressor to change valve and other parts.

The FSM also says to replace those bolts to complete the job. I didn't do so when I repaired AC compressor in 07 Vue but I've attached photo of two old bolts from 05 Vue to give an idea of bolt corrosion after seven years - or so - of service in the salt-belt (bolt part number is visible on bag).

Finally, I have four or five copies of GM FSM on DVD and none of them suggest removing alternator and pulling compressor through the top.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cradle Bolts.jpg (173.5 KB, 128 views)

I try to visit forum daily but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 09:29 AM   #44
slippage
slippage is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say thanks to all who contributed to this thread! Did it this weekend (07 vue) with replacing the drier and schrader valves (Suspected a leak on the high side) Down to 35degrees at idle. The biggest difficulty was removing (finding) the upper compressor mounting bolts, but even that was maybe a 2 out of 10.

Same appearance of components as far2grumpy's pic. Slight polish on the lower of the brass valve, crud in the filter, and a weaker spring than the new one. Hopefully will be good for another seven years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slippage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slippage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slippage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #45
HoustonVue06
HoustonVue06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippage View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to all who contributed to this thread! Did it this weekend (07 vue) with replacing the drier and schrader valves (Suspected a leak on the high side) Down to 35degrees at idle. The biggest difficulty was removing (finding) the upper compressor mounting bolts, but even that was maybe a 2 out of 10.

Same appearance of components as far2grumpy's pic. Slight polish on the lower of the brass valve, crud in the filter, and a weaker spring than the new one. Hopefully will be good for another seven years.
Joined this site to eternally thank Goose and everyone of his test subjects here!

Quick story, I'm driving my wife's old 06 Vue 2.2L @ 100K miles. 2 years ago she went to get the same problem we all faced (balmy air at idle; cold at RPM's) fixed and they said hose has a leak. We replace, your problem will be fixed. $200 later, nothing improved and she just said screw it and went on with the problem.

Now that I have it, me and my backsweats don't really appreciate the Houston summer months so I opted to fix. Scoured the internet and couldn't find anything, until I came upon this glorious thread!

My main worry was that everyone has a 3.5L engine to which their problem was solved, but no 2.2L. So I called TechChoiceAutoParts (great service department, btw) and they explain to me that the same control valve for a 3.5L works for a 2.2L as well. BOOM! couldn't wait to fix it. So this morning I went to a local AC guy, ask him to discharge and then recharge after I get the new part in. $70 bones, what a steal. the part itself was only $40.

Replacing it was a little difficult. Didn't have to dislodge anything, but i did have to get under the car, but not too far. And it was pretty easily accessible through this route. But after he recharged, my God it was like night and day! I was rolling at about 60psi on lowside while idle, and he told me it was 38psi today.

SO, in conclusion, THANK YOU so effing much to everyone on here for being the guinea pigs to fix this problem. You are literally saving everyone who has the problem time, money, and stress.

Peace Out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HoustonVue06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HoustonVue06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HoustonVue06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #46
goose737700
goose737700 has a spectacular aura aboutgoose737700 has a spectacular aura about

I'm glad it worked out for you, I've put 10k miles on it in the last year and it's still cooling like a champ. The car still kinda sucks though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goose737700's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goose737700 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
goose737700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #47
bitterman
bitterman has a spectacular aura aboutbitterman has a spectacular aura aboutbitterman has a spectacular aura about

Hello everyone. I have been keeping an eye on this thread in anticipation of making the repairs to my 2006 2.2 Vue. I too suffered from the green leak of oil from the black diamond plate on the back of my AC compressor.

Here is my issue. I had my system evacuated in order to make this repair (no surprise there). During the evacuation process, they evacuated 19 oz. of r134 and some oil from my AC system. While replacing the scroll valve, spring, filter and gasket, more oil dripped out of the compressor.

My question is... how do I know how much oil to add back to my AC system? I cannot account for how much oil was lost during the replacement of the scroll valve because it dripped onto the floor. I do however know how much oil was removed when they evacuated my AC system because I had them pour the oil evacuated from my system into a container for me. Tomorrow I will measure how many oz of oil are in the container.

I greatly appreciate all knowledge and wisdom you can pass along. I am new to AC system repairs and cannot thank the members of this forum enough for all the info posted.

Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bitterman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bitterman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:01 AM   #48
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A conservative approach to oil replenishment is important here. Too much is worse than too little. If you saved any oil that was removed during the evacuation to repair the scroll valve, use this amount and a little bit more. Personally, I wouldn't add more than 1/2 to 1-ounce to what you saved.

Normally during repairs, a compressor that's replaced is drained of oil and this amount is used as the basis for refilling the replacement compressor. Since you aren't replacing the compressor and just need to replace oil that was lost during evacuating, very little oil is lost. Most of the oil remains in the compressor with the rest distributed throughout the system to eventually return to lube the compressor in an endless cycle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #49
bitterman
bitterman has a spectacular aura aboutbitterman has a spectacular aura aboutbitterman has a spectacular aura about

I would like to thank everyone again for your advice and discussions about this issue. I made my repair and my AC is up and running again with no issues. Without this forum, I would be have spent quite a bit more to repair my AC.

Thank you!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bitterman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bitterman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:52 PM   #50
BAD BOY
BAD BOY is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if this same valve works in the 2008 Vue 3.6? I believe this is the same problem I'm having as well!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BAD BOY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BAD BOY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BAD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #51
carterscreek
carterscreek is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I wouldn't know if your 08 is the same. My 06 3.5 is not blowing cool air at low or high rpm. First I checked the 134a and it is full so I don't have a leak. Replacing this control valve is something I can handle. Any other suggestions as to the cause of not getting any cool air? I'm in no hurry to fix as I'm driving my other car or S10 this summer.

2006 Onyx Black VUE AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carterscreek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carterscreek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carterscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:56 PM   #52
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ What did you use to check R134a? ^ To save you headaches and guessing, unless you are fully familiar with refrigeration and use a full set of gauges to monitor pressures on the low and high side at recommended rpm from service manual specs, guessing can be costly.

Whatever you think, the only way to know actual refrigerant amounts is not using pressure gauges. Correctly determining exact amount is by removing/evacuating a system and refilling with the amount needed - the only time the exact amount of R134a a system has. Pressures do not tell anyone the amount of R134a in a system. A 1/2 pound of R134a will have the same pressure reading as a system filled to correct specs. A 1/2 pound of R134a is too little to allow a/c to operate and cool off a car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #53
carterscreek
carterscreek is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

I just used the gauge on a refill can of R134a. Next i'll check the system with a black light. I'll need someone to remove the R134a when I get to attempting any fix or replacement. thanks for reply

2006 Onyx Black VUE AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carterscreek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carterscreek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carterscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #54
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonVue06 View Post
Joined this site to eternally thank Goose and everyone of his test subjects here!
Do you have a part number on the scroll valve you used in the 2.2? I just checked fit on that website from the link above and it says it does not fit. You mentioned calling and they said the same number fit?

I can't wait to get started!

Shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #55
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

2000 SW2

I checked the pressure to day on the vue and I've got around 35 psi on the low side and 225 psi on the high side.

Does anyone know if this is consistent with the bad scroll valve deal.

Shawn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #56
leolkfrm
leolkfrm is on a distinguished road

thankyou to all....just called and ordered scroll valve for 2003 2.2....not a listed application but fellow on the phone says it will work, just have not updated the fitment on website

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leolkfrm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leolkfrm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leolkfrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #57
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnV View Post
I checked the pressure to day on the vue and I've got around 35 psi on the low side and 225 psi on the high side.

Does anyone know if this is consistent with the bad scroll valve deal.

Shawn
Shawn ... depends on engine RPM, air temperature and humidity when you collected the numbers.

See the chart posted by fdryer in post # 9 of this thread:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201212

Improve data collection by installing thermometer in center left dash outlet.

Following conditions apply to chart use:

1. Vehicle in shade.
2. Engine at idle RPM.
3. A/C operated for at least five minutes.
4. All windows up - except drivers which is down 5 - 6 inches.
5. Fan speed high.
6. Temp control maximum CCW.
7. RECIRC light on.
8. Air delivery to PANEL (arrow pointing to upper body).

Note discharge air temperature and low and high side pressures - compare to chart referenced above.

I try to visit forum daily but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #58
leolkfrm

received the valve from tech choice today, valve only no spring....asked tues if spring was included and was told yes, when i called today was told sorry no longer included....that said

put valve and new o ring in some problem at idle, i found little pressure on plate when re-installing u-tube video makes it look like the valve sticks out 3/8 of an inch because of spring pressure....can someone tell me which way it should be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help leolkfrm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #59
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by leolkfrm View Post
received the valve from tech choice today, valve only no spring....asked tues if spring was included and was told yes, when i called today was told sorry no longer included....that said

put valve and new o ring in some problem at idle, i found little pressure on plate when re-installing u-tube video makes it look like the valve sticks out 3/8 of an inch because of spring pressure....can someone tell me which way it should be?
I can't say with 100% certainty but suspect the spring plays a key role.

I compared old and new springs - old spring compressed at 15 pounds and new one at 25 pounds.

A/C in my daughters 07 Vue still works great after 13 months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #60
leolkfrm

I mentioned that to the person at tech choice and he claimed there is something internal with the valve that goes bad

how far out did your cover plate stick out when you put it back on? i had hardly any resistance on this one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!