SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
BasilCarey
BasilCarey is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Coil Pack question

I know the numbering on my 2002 SC2 is 4-1-2-3 left to right at the motor. But the connection at the coil pack is where my question is. There are numbered markings on each pack 4/2 and 1/3. Are they there to tell you which plug is for each wire? The 4 wire is connected on a post labled 1/3 and the 1 wire is on a post labled 4/2. The same with the last two wires? Is this correct? or Backwards?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BasilCarey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BasilCarey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BasilCarey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
Falkkon
Falkkon is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Default Re: Coil Pack question

Backwards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Falkkon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Falkkon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Falkkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

k. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BasilCarey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The engine is numbered 1,2,3,4 from teh car's right to left or, your left to right as you look at it. #1 is closest to the timing chain end.

The coil towers are numbered 4,1,2,3 and this is also from the car's right to left or your left to right as you look at it. Match the tower number to the plug number.

There is a label on the radiator core support that shows this also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

Thank you, I brain farted...about the order of the plugs. I checked it and was correct. I did remove the coil pack and cleaned it. I notice that the exposed coil was badly rusted, could that be a issue? And one had areas of the plastic broken at the bottom. I was planning to wait until night, and look for grounding sparks. Thanks, Basil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

When the laminated cores rust the laminations spread and the efficiency of the coil is decreased. The windings are isolated from that core so it is not a direct electrical failure but it does weaken the coil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #7
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

should I replace the module and coil packs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you can find a good one at he Junk Yard for cheap it is not a bad idea. Each coil can be replaced by its self so if you get the entire unit you will have spare parts. Doing this removes ignition issues from your list of potential problems whit out dropping a couple Franklins.

The entire unit is listed in Car Part as Ignitor/Coil And you can sort for low price or lowest price after you run the search $25.00 to $40.00 here will buy the assembly, 2 coils and an ICM.

parts locater..
http://car-part.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

I found a matching ECM at a local dealer. I asked if they had other parts for the saturn. They told me not at that location, but can get then there if needed. I asked for the igintion module and coils. I only payed $30 for the ECM, with no real luck so far with all the other stuff, I thought it would be a good idea to get it. The ECU will just be a plug and play right? Oh ..by the way. The 172 code came back today. It took 5 days, before it always came back only after a few minutes of driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If its a match it should. It is always a crap shoot and usually the PCM must be flashed to the right code. The BCM and PCM have to want to talk with each other. There is a procedure for dealing with this on here somewhere. The BCM / PCM communication is the critical issue as when they do not communicate the car will not run.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

The replacement ECU did not happen. When I got the ECU the SN# matched, but the PN# did not. I contacted the deal, he told me he had two, but sold the one I needed last month, this one was the last one he had. He did refund my money. I went to pull a part and got a iginition module and coil packs. Install yesterday, will see if you makes a differences.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

This is probably the place to get a PCM that is correct. http://www.saturnautosalvage.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #13
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

Thanks..I will try there next. The coil pack seems to help the driving. Very little sluggishness. But did not help with the hard start up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Should not be a problem with a 2002 but try a system prime. turn key to on but not start and then back to off after a 2-3 second delay. Wait 20 seconds and then turn key to on, hesitate and then crank. see if that makes any difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

ok..will try that next. If that helps, what is that an indecation of?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Leaking back flow check valve in the fuel pump or leaking regulator in the Filter/regulator. Remember you are showing slightly low fuel pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #17
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

Tried the key on for 2-3 seconds, then off for 20 seconds. The result was the same as before. The car starts, but after just a couple of seconds starts to stall out. If you give it gas to stop the stall , it normally dies. Then to get the car to start again, I have to press the gas to the floor, the car will start, the rpm's increase slowly. After that it will settle out at about 1200 rpms, until is starts to warm up and slowly drop to 800-900. Now the car will restond to stepping on the gas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That sounds like it might be flooding out. That would be either the ECTS or IAT. The Intake Air Temperature sensor is located in the filter box intake horn. Check that its in place and connected.
Have you ever changed the ECTS? IF not take the connector off and very carefully inspect the 2 small holes for any sign of corrosion or moisture. It should be clean and dry and free of any grease etc. Your car came from the factory with a brass ECTS and it should be fine but you never know for sure that it has not just died of old age either.

Fuel pump passed the test fine.

Did you ever get the mechanic to tell you what he actual fuel pressure was? You have the symptoms of excessively high fuel pressure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #19
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

If you have access to a scanner that is more advanced then the one the local auto-parts store use....with the engine cold (after sitting all night)..... compare the coolent temp sensor, and the inlet air temp sensor (and ambiant air temp sensor if you have one). They should be with in 10 deg f of each other.

Depending on the outside temp the PCM chooses a cold start map. (My old Daytona had 5 different maps depending on air temp)

I also had a vacuum leak once was only there cold and got tighter when the engine got some heat in its belly.

just some ideas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 11:38 PM   #20
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The Saturn will not call it a cold start unless they 2 sensors are within 5 or 6C, just uses the ECTS and punts. It is critical to good starts though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!