SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
01SL1SATURN
01SL1SATURN is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
Default Oil Filter Location

I want to know if the engineer who decided the location of the oil filter is fired or not yet.

Changed the oil today on my SL1. It took an hour, yes, an hour to get the filter off. Firstly, it is located right above the differential. I removed the front passenger side tire and the plastic behind it to get at the filter but ended up getting it off from underneath the car. I used numerous tools. Anyway, after cursing and my hands drenched in oil from piercing the filter trying to get it off I was relieved.

The monkey who put it on at the mechanic shop last tightened that thing REALLLL good. Anyway, I can tell the filter was not replaced from my last oil change place (we get oil changes there and their type of filter was not on it but rather an older one). Not going to go there anymore now!

Anyway, put a new Super Tech filter on there, and filled her up with Mobil 1 Syn 5w-30 (for the harsh winter season).

That was the hardest oil change I've ever done. Everything was smooth except removing (or rather trying to remove) the filter. Wish I had ramps.

2001 Saturn SL 5 speed -- 131,000 miles
Slush boxes..... taking the fun out of driving since 1950!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01SL1SATURN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01SL1SATURN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
01SL1SATURN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Oil Filter Location

you'll be able to do it in about 10-15 min eventually

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
dmc
dmc is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
you'll be able to do it in about 10-15 min eventually
Yup!

You can even do it with the car on the ground. Just turn the wheel all the way to the left and remove the plastic shroud, you'll have enough room.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:06 PM   #4
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Not another "these oil filters are impossible to get to" thread. The difficulty you had getting it off is the fault of some ignorant moron who thinks it has to be wrenched down like it is holding the entire engine together, not the engineers who designed the car. I wouldn't let Jiffy Lube or Wal-Mart change the oil in my lawn mower. The horror stories about these places will make you loose sleep at night.

Again I will repeat, these filters are not hard to get to. In my over 35 years of doing my own oil changes and the years I worked on cars for a living, I assure you, these are among the easier filters to get to. Even my 1985 Chevrolet S-10 with the 2.5 pushrod engine was much more difficult. By the way, the filter is not over the differential. It is above the right axle, the differential is on the left (drivers) side of the car.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

I actually see evidence of good design, such as the built in 'gutter' that directs to oil to fall in a good spot. and, like said, all you have to do is pop off the dust shield and get the filter off through the wheelwell ( I found it quicker too to just remove the wheel, than trying to jack up the cat and get under it). I leave the dust shield off on any S car I change the oil on.
of course, it's NOWHERE near as easy as my 4 cyl VUE. I think I can train my cat to do it, and she's sleeping most of the time.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

The "S" series is absolutely the worst... . All you have to do is change oil on a Chrysler 2.2-2.5l engine to realize how wrong Saturn got it. Filter location was planned by someone who assumed the owner would always go to Quickie-Lube or had a lift in their garage. Worst part of owning a Saturn is changing the oil, IMO.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
The "S" series is absolutely the worst... . All you have to do is change oil on a Chrysler 2.2-2.5l engine to realize how wrong Saturn got it. Filter location was planned by someone who assumed the owner would always go to Quickie-Lube or had a lift in their garage. Worst part of owning a Saturn is changing the oil, IMO.
Try changing the oil on a 1.8T Passat....you'll thank the lord each and everytime you change the oil in your S-Series. There really is nothing to changing the oil in an S-Series.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
01SL1SATURN

2001 SL

Forgot, here's a few pictures
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 01SL1SATURN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
02Saturnlady
02Saturnlady will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2002 SL2

I may get yelled at for saying this but I have found the best tool for removing the oil filter on a Saturn is a medium or large pair of channel locks. They work really well and I have been using this method for about 5 years now. Hope this helps

Merry Christmas <---- Christmas Tree at the track, LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02Saturnlady's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02Saturnlady reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02Saturnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:30 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Actually Saturn was quite proud of their filter location and access. If the car was level, the oil pan edge was bent upward to catch dripping oil and guide it away from the sub frame. You could strategically place the oil drain pan in a location to simultaneously catch the oil from the filter and the drain plug opening. This only worked if the car was level. I always used ramps and the oil overflowed the drip rail and leaked on the sub frame.

I never once took off the inner fender liner to get to the filter. A 3/8" ratchet with the appropriate oil filter cap always did a fine job for me.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #11
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

when I change my Saturn oil drive the front up on two ramps, then jack up the rear and put two more ramps under the rear and slide under it on a creeper and it takes about 5 minutes to remove the drain plug and filter so the oil drips out into my bucket. I use a filter wrench that looks like a cap and you put a wrench on it to loosen the filter. works great!

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:47 PM   #12
greensaturn
greensaturn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
when I change my Saturn oil drive the front up on two ramps, then jack up the rear and put two more ramps under the rear and slide under it on a creeper and it takes about 5 minutes to remove the drain plug and filter so the oil drips out into my bucket. I use a filter wrench that looks like a cap and you put a wrench on it to loosen the filter. works great!

Why! It took him an hour to do the oil change, and you want him to drive up on ramps, and then lift the back of the car too? That'll add another 15 minutes to the job by the time you raise and lower the car.

Like someone else said, just turn the wheel all the way to the left reach in with your left hand and a strap style filter wrence and you'll be able to do the entire job in 15 min.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greensaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greensaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greensaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:04 PM   #13
01SL1SATURN

2001 SL

First time this car has seen a fully synthetic. I'm curious if it will start burning oil. Anyway, the car seemed quieter at high RPMs after the synthetic but it could just have been me.

I think I will keep using Mobil 1 if it works out well. It was only $22 for 5 quarts and $3 for the filter at Wal-Mart. It costs $28 from an oil change place and they use conventional. I'd rather do it myself and put a better quality oil in it. My friends were like "Mobil 1 in a saturn? What do you think it is? A race car?!" They seem to think buying the cheapest dino juice they can find and changing every 8k miles it acceptable.

I plan on keeping this car for a LONG time until it falls apart (literally) and I mind as well give it some good oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2007, 12:39 AM   #14
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

The Saturn was more intended to be serviced in a garage on a hoist. The back yard mechanic wasn't asked how he would like to do the oil change.

There's lots of worse cars if that makes you feel better. My brothers TDI Jetta was pretty tough, threading a hot filter between all the hoses and body parts in the way was a challenge. I'd say the Saturn's in the better than average range. The old EJ22 Legacy's are about as good as it gets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 AM   #15
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01SL1SATURN View Post
Firstly, it is located right above the differential.
Um, the differential is on the left side of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
Try changing the oil on a 1.8T Passat....you'll thank the lord each and everytime you change the oil in your S-Series. There really is nothing to changing the oil in an S-Series.
Weird. Chrysler got the inspiration for that oil filter location from the engine's prececessor, the VW 1.7L Rabbit engine that went into the first Omni/Horizons. That one was even better, in that the filter angled downward, so almost no oil came out when you removed it. Of the Jettas I've seen (into the late '90s), the engines seem to be a direct descendent of the Rabbit engine. Is the Passat motor a whole different design?

There've been quite a few rear-mount oil filters since the advent of the "transverse" engine. The first X-cars had the Iron Duke 2.5 that was designed to run front-to-back, and IIRC, when they turned it, the oil filter ended up in the back. I'm pretty sure the 1.8 in the early J-cars were similar.

Yeah, it's in a bad place on the 1.9, but a one-minute trip up a set of ramps, and you can grab it with your hand. If you need more than a piece of bike-innertube rubber for grip as a removal tool, it's overtightened.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #16
JADEDSL2
JADEDSL2 will become famous soon enough

Location: Sullivan, Missouri, USA, North America, Northern West Hemisphere, Earth, Solar System, Left Galactic Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Galactic Cluster, Universe

1993 SL2
1991 SL2

I can change my oil in less than 5 minutes.
Park car, turn wheels to the left. Open hood, reach between intake manifold and alternator behind the block (no P/S yay!) and spin off the filter. Spin on a new one. Lay on ground right behind passenger tire, and reach the oil drain plug with socket and driver, remove, drain oil into pan, replace. Fill oil, done.

"1G8ZJ5472MZ134321"-my Jaded, I will never forget.
"1G8ZF5594PZ249184"-Trinity, for three are now one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JADEDSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JADEDSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JADEDSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:46 PM   #17
1994Saturn
1994Saturn will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2
1994 SL1
Happy Re: Oil Filter Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01SL1SATURN View Post
First time this car has seen a fully synthetic. I'm curious if it will start burning oil. Anyway, the car seemed quieter at high RPMs after the synthetic but it could just have been me.

I think I will keep using Mobil 1 if it works out well. It was only $22 for 5 quarts and $3 for the filter at Wal-Mart. It costs $28 from an oil change place and they use conventional. I'd rather do it myself and put a better quality oil in it. My friends were like "Mobil 1 in a saturn? What do you think it is? A race car?!" They seem to think buying the cheapest dino juice they can find and changing every 8k miles it acceptable.

I plan on keeping this car for a LONG time until it falls apart (literally) and I mind as well give it some good oil.

Ha. I went to wal-mart (Wolly World) and i want to the automotive section, and did not know what MOBIL 1 oil filter (only 9.99$) to put on my elantra, I told the guy i had a 2002 elantra He looked it up in the book and he said " you are going to put that oil filter on a Hyundai?" I said "YES, and even use Mobil 1 full syn" and then he gave me M1-104 filter number, and i said "thanks" and i walked away. He really got me mad Lol.
Sorry Slightly OT.

Current:
1998 SL2 Auto issues 112K
1995 Eagle Vision 3.5L TSI 117K
Past:
98 SL1 254k miles Valves Burnt.
94 SL2 125K miles Diff Pin Blew!
94 SL1 Sold @134K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1994Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1994Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1994Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:57 PM   #18
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

I don't mind the filter location too bad. Oil does tend to go everywhere though. I've gotten to the point where I can avoid getting oil all over the ground, but the subframe and axles are a different story. It takes me about 10 minutes to change my oil once I've got the car jacked up and on jack stands. And I'm usually pretty casual about it. I remove the drain plug and go get a drink and chill while the oil drains, so I could do it much quicker if I felt so inclined.

I will say however, I do prefer the oil filter location on my Voyager with the Mitsubishi 3.0L. It tends to create much less of a mess in comparison.

But to anyone who complains about the Saturn filter location, go change the oil in a J-body. I changed the oil in my girlfriend's '01 Sunfire, and that filter is a MAJOR pain to get to.

Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white95SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
white95SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:58 PM   #19
Special Forces
Special Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura aboutSpecial Forces has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Um, the differential is on the left side of the car.
I think he meant the differential length that goes to the right wheel which turns the wheel.

/// Need rebuilt valve bodies? PM Me. \\\
//// Why bother with ebay when I'm right here? \\\\\
Valve bodies built to order

Please PM me about valve bodies, do not post a visitor message.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Special Forces's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Special Forces reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Special Forces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #20
stefen1990
stefen1990 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1994 SL2

my 94 i could change it from the front pass. side tire, but my 98 has a plastic wall, and i had to go underneath, took me 5 mins to find it, and 15 to put the new one on. I couldn't match up the threads...

1998 SL2: Belle, My new baby (135k as of 2.28.08)
1994 SL2: Betty, My first car/Saturn, R.I.P. (rear end collision)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stefen1990's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stefen1990 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stefen1990 is offline   Reply With Quote