SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #1
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
Default Evaluating AC performance in 2002 SL2

Today was the first hot day in NYC, probably got up to 89F. I drove the Saturn and for about an hour in traffic and had the AC on full blast, it felt comfortable but I was not frozen out. It seems if it gets into the 90"s it may not be good enough.

How good is the AC in a 2002 SL2? I am going to use a black light to inspect and see if there are signs of dye which indicates a leak.

1/28/2019 2002 SL2 w 62k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silverblu02SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silverblu02SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2019, 10:24 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Evaluating AC performance in 2002 SL2

^^ that's the best first step.
Dye present? DIY or a shop for repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:17 PM   #3
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

I can't say about an '02, but my '94 was never impressive with cooling even when new. I have had it serviced by a pro once, and then did it myself recently. It never has gotten better than "OK", not at all like other GM cars I have experienced that will get you feeling too cold. I guessing it is a smaller than usual capacity to avoid load on the engine and increase fuel economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:08 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Service manual charts list four temperature ranges; 70F, 80F, 90F and 100F. At highway speed (when airflow cools off the condenser coil, increasing ac cooling efficiency inside a car, outlet temps will vary between 44F-53F. In high humidity, vent temps will vary between 46F-65F. Expect higher temps when sitting in traffic (less airflow thru condenser coil and hor radiator). The cooling fan must be running to help with local traffic speeds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
Turbo1002
Turbo1002 is on a distinguished road

My experience. On the freeway you should be seeing about 40 degrees F. Which is nice and cold. Stop and go city driving on a 90 degree day, 50 degree vent temps. Just enough to keep you from sweating.

1999 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Turbo1002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Turbo1002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Turbo1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 12:26 AM   #6
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

This is from a 00-01 service manual, although, the same numbers apply to all S-Series. (or at least 94+, I'm not sure if the early R-12a systems where any different.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 12.18.45 AM.jpg (92.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 12.19.26 AM.png (36.4 KB, 8 views)

1997 SL2, 114K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

any number of things can affect it's performance.. in particular order

Freon charge
coolant fan
air flow thru the radiator
expansion valve

Of course other things can as well but these are the major player I've had to deal with over the years.

A few years ago we had record heat and the a/c was not only not keeping me cool but the engine temp kept creeping up. All 4 windows down at 60mph with the heat on wide open when it's 144 degrees is no fun. Turned out the condenser was nearly completely plugged with tiny little rocks, bugs, and other debris. It's now standard practice to blow them out any time the fan or radiator is out for any reason.

Highmile
'95 SL1 685k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:54 PM   #8
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^^
? 144 degrees F ?
Were you driving in Iraq or the Great Sahara desert ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #9
Upstate Saturn
Upstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really niceUpstate Saturn is just really nice

2001 SL2

Glad you asked this question, I'm having the same issue in a 2001 SL2. I'm the original owner and I remember that it cooled better in the early days. Has the type of coolant changed over the years, and is that the cause of the issue?

2001 SL2 manual - original owner - remanufactured engine at 228k miles, December 2015
1992 SL1 - bought used in '93, totaled in '00 at 170k miles, drove it cross-country a lot!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Upstate Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Upstate Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Upstate Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

There was a recent thread discussing the Schrader valves as a frequent slow leak area causing decreasing AC performance. Because they are under dust caps, they do not show up on UV light. When testing with an AC gauge set, they are sealed by the set itself, so don't leak when testing.

could also be evaporator dirty or plugged. Some links and pics towards the bottom of this trhead
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237063

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #11
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

ITs amazing how much of a leak those plastic epa caps can hold in. If there is enough of a leak to let gas past them youíll hear a rush of gas as you remove the epa cap and free the gas itís trapped.

Common place for leak is the front seal of the compressor.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #12
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
^^^
? 144 degrees F ?
Were you driving in Iraq or the Great Sahara desert ?
my bad... 114 degrees

Highmile

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmile View Post

Highmile
'95 SL1 685k and counting
Neat!

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #14
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Have not driven the car since I last used the AC. I will take it for a drive later and take some vent temp measurements.

What's the best way to clean the AC condenser and evaporator in my 02 SL2?

I do have some AC experience revamping my 85 Mercedes 300D's AC:

Took compressor, dryer, TXV out, flushed all hoses, evap and condenser, replaced compressor with a rebuilt unit, replaced TXV and dryer, pressure tested system with Argon, charged with R12 by weight (have 30 lb bottle of R12). The condenser was easy to access and clean. Evaporator not so easy, removing it was out of the question (probably 20 hour job) so I used evap foam spray clean via removal of blower, followed spraying with a water hose and also a WaterPik water flosser.

1/28/2019 2002 SL2 w 62k miles

Last edited by Silverblu02SL2; 06-02-2019 at 01:18 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silverblu02SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silverblu02SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:53 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Random youtube videos reveals how commercial hvac techs clean residential hvac units. Techs spray a foam cleaner on stationary condenser coils after removing covers to expose both sides. After foaming a garden hose rinse removes dirt buildup. I would search for hvac foam cleaners safe for aluminum. Some are more caustic than others. Evaporator coils are more difficult to clean and less accessible. A member here posted snapshots of his evaporator coil after removing the blower motor, inserting a cellphone to snap views of leaves collecting around the interior. Vacuuming and air pressure removed a relatively clean evap coil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote