SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Suavelito
Suavelito is on a distinguished road

Default 2009 V6 Vue Power Steering issue

Hi everybody, I'm a brand new Vue owner for just a few days now. Got this used, and it drove fine for a while, however yesterday I lost power steering during turns at the end of my trip.

This is what I've experienced:
1. When braking and turning hard, I could feel the power steering leaving the wheel the more I was braking and turning.
2. When accelerating out of the turn, the power steering came back.
3. Attached are images of the power steering reservoir. I popped the hood this morning and saw this, basically power steering fluid all over the top of the reservoir and cap edges (shown in the attached picture). And it was dripping down the side of the reservoir leg(shown in the picture). The reservoir cap felt like it was screwed down tight when I first got to it.
4. When I took the cap off (car was cold this morning), the level of power steering fluid was 1/4 inch above the max line.

The previous owner said the power steering pump was replaced recently. My hunch is that the reservoir was overfilled, and the power steering fluid is dripping onto the belt below somehow, and is making it slip and lose power steering when it has the most load on it (during turns).

Any other ideas what could be causing this or to remedy this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2523.JPG (104.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2525.JPG (110.6 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Suavelito's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Suavelito reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Suavelito is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
Suavelito
Suavelito is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2009 V6 Vue Power Steering issue

Update:

So I cleaned up the area and reduced the amount of fluid so it reaches the max level, and still getting loss of power steering when braking and cornering at the same time.

One thing I noticed is that my idle is at around 600rpm, and when I brake and corner, RPM is a bit low, like at 500 to 700rpm. So with higher RPM accelerating out of the corner, there's no problem with power steering.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Suavelito's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Suavelito reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Suavelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 02:10 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2009 V6 Vue Power Steering issue

Drive belts aren't supposed to have any oil on them since they'll slip to reduce power transfer to accessories that need power. I don't know what solvent is good to remove oil soaked drive belts other than plain soap and water. All pulleys should be cleaned too and any parts that are coated (or splashed on) in power steering fluid. The idea is to remove as much oil from the drive belt as possible otherwise consider replacing it. Search for drive belts and what causes premature damage so you can make an informed decision whether or not to replace it or a thorough wash will work. Some solvents can damage drive belts so be aware of searching belt cleaning info Eliminating slipping drive belt and pulleys will allow you to concentrate on whether or not lower idle running also contributes to momentary loss of power steering.

If throttle wasn't cleaned, do so. Be aware not to spray harsh solvents on or in electric throttle bodies. If you have a drive by wire system, you can see a small dc motor as part of the throttle body. This dc motor drives the throttle plate open and closed with a strong internal return spring if power is lost at any time. Electric throttles have electronics (two feedback sensors) and other electrical parts that are fragile to harsh solvents. Cleaning can be as easy as spraying throttle cleaner onto a rag and wiping down crud buildup. A plastic scraper for hardened deposits. If throttle is dirty, cleaning may help restore idle back to normal.

One thing we all assume is that the pulley on the replacement pump is the same diameter as the old one. If by chance the replacement pump has a smaller diameter pulley then the drive belt may be slack to allow slipping. Without knowing what size pulley diameter, you might have to check with your local GM dealer for dimensions. You should be able to check belt tension by hand - all drive belts should be tight with many using a belt tensioner to maintain belt tightness. Drive belts should not deflect easily with fingers pressing between pulleys. The average belt tension is between 40-60 lbs, tight. Other than checking online sites for parts and dimensions, a junk yard may help. Bring along a tape measure and note the diameter of yours. Even checking against replacement pump pulley diameter from your local auto store may help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote