SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
Waiex191
Advanced Member
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default 98 SC2 project. Drive for now, maybe rebuild later.

Just a couple pictures for now, and I'll post more details later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn Boys.jpg (135.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg SC2 in hangar.jpg (141.2 KB, 42 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #2
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: 98 SC2 project. Drive for now, maybe rebuild later.

Squawks:
Foglights don't work
Driver window motor is weak
Rattles
Coolant reservoir light blinks
No horn
Brakes bad and pulsing
Clutch cylinder is bad. Hard to get into reverse and third grinds
Exhaust leak
Smoke out the back
Rear window tint coming off
Finish is poor, clear coat peeling.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If there is no rot all that car needs is maintenance.

The clutch hydraulics are likely low on fluid as that is the only thing that just degrades performance and total failure is quite rare. It is a nearly fool proof system.

Shift tower levers and inside bushing are highly suspect for the symptoms.

Fix exhaust leak before you burn a valve or completely kill the cat.

Window motor and track can be lubed and then it works.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Here are some more pictures. First here is the motor:
IMG_20180414_170816451.jpg

Driver's side subframe. Looks like the new one we put in the SL2.
IMG_20180414_170845685.jpg

From this picture it seems we are missing​ a rear swaybar link.
IMG_20180414_171021978.jpg

The nuts on the rear suspension are rusty but the rest is solid.
IMG_20180414_171043252.jpg

Cruise control works. Speakers are toast. Tires are new. The SC seats are nice.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Looks real good, easy fixes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
VUEmaniac
VUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the roughVUEmaniac is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

That should clean up nicely.

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts, but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. -Frank Herbert-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUEmaniac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUEmaniac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUEmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #7
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Fix exhaust leak before you burn a valve or completely kill the cat.
Q: Is a noisy muffler considered an exhaust leak?
Q2: Should I fix my noisy muffler as soin as possible?

I was liking the sound but don’t want to mess things up foolishly.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Bad muffler is more or less a non-event, it is the leaks from the back of the cat forward that cause problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2018, 11:07 AM   #9
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

A few questions for the group:
1) Has anybody deleted their power windows and gone back to a crank?
2) If the car has power locks, does that mean it had a remote?
3) Has anybody removed window tint from the inside of the back window before or will that end in tears?
4) Is there a good way to restore the aluminum wheels?

Some other squawks:
A) valve cover leaks. One cylinder fills its spark plug hole with oil per the former owner.
B) Two sets of keys, one for the door and one for the ignition.
C) rear swaybar link missing

I've got new rotors, pads, plugs, rear swaybar links, and serpentine belt on the way from RA. I am not going to drive it until the brakes and clutch are addressed. Monday I'll get it insured and figure out the registration process. I am also registering my 1981 Suzuki GN400 that I've owned since I was 15. I recently got it running again. My 2006 Dodge Ram has been a good vehicle, but I hate it. No fun to drive, 12 MPG, and hard to park.

Both of my kids are wildly excited to have another Saturn.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
A few questions for the group:
1) Has anybody deleted their power windows and gone back to a crank?
Try the large search box. I think the answer is NO though.
2) If the car has power locks, does that mean it had a remote?
Yes it does.
3) Has anybody removed window tint from the inside of the back window before or will that end in tears?
It can be an issue. Repeatedly lightly dust with Windex, no substitute, when inside a building --no sunlight so it gets a good chance to soak thoroughly. Peel with the grid and not across it.
4) Is there a good way to restore the aluminum wheels?
Good or cheap?, there is a difference.
Some other squawks:
A) valve cover leaks. One cylinder fills its spark plug hole with oil per the former owner.
That is not a bug, it's a feature. Replace with aluminum cover as God himself can not stop the leaks from those covers.
B) Two sets of keys, one for the door and one for the ignition.
Ignition has been replaced. Live with it or replace cylinder and key to original key code. I have the key codes for the older cars.
C) rear swaybar link missing
Replace both as they do not last long and skip grease zirks as that does not solve the problem.

I've got new rotors, pads, plugs, rear swaybar links, and serpentine belt on the way from RA. I am not going to drive it until the brakes and clutch are addressed. Monday I'll get it insured and figure out the registration process. I am also registering my 1981 Suzuki GN400 that I've owned since I was 15. I recently got it running again. My 2006 Dodge Ram has been a good vehicle, but I hate it. No fun to drive, 12 MPG, and hard to park.

Both of my kids are wildly excited to have another Saturn.
Sounds like fun for all this spring. As to windows and locks. IF they get lubed they work. Lack of a lube PM is the cause of the F-5 failure in the I/P Panel. Use 3M 08897 on the window tracks and the lock solenoid plunger. Do also lube the plastic slider at the bottom of the glass. Go to the large electric model train store an get a small tub of Bachmann motor drive gear plastic safe lube. Not cheap but much less than what it will cost from the original source.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2018, 06:55 PM   #11
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

OldNuc, is the lube silicone spray or a particular product?

Adam started pulling brakes. We snapped a guide pin.
snapped pin.jpg

A bit of heat and the big vise grips got the pin out.
flame on!.jpg

I started pulling the coolant tank so I could do the Richpin fix for the float switch. Here is the Richpin video:
https://youtu.be/-5814yr2p_Y
One of my speed nuts broke. Made it a slow nut. I drilled the head off the bolt.
drill reservor bolt.jpg
I am not sure the switch was stuck. The level was very low. Had dexcool, and I'll be flushing that out as I like green stuff better.

The clutch master cylinder was full. Figured I had nothing to lose by pulling it out. Dumped the old fluid and found this large hunk of gunk:
clutch master​ gunk.jpg

I think we have successfully bled the clutch hydraulics. Clamped the master loosely in the vise. Took the cover off. Hung the slave down low. Pumped the slave rod in and got bubbles out. Clamped it all the way in to evacuate most of the fluid and dumped it out. Refilled before we let it out. The clutch feels way better, but we can't test it as the brakes are all apart. Also the car is on jackstands.

As you may have noticed, I've figured out how to embed attachments in the body of the post.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2018, 07:14 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That 3M product is a dry silicone spray. Comes out a bit damp but dries and does not collect dust or get gooey. Just search for the part number on Amazon should find it.

Looks like that car never saw any maintenance since it left Spring Hill.

Those are SEMS body bolts. Self tapping fine thread pointed end metal screws. They are available in imperial and metric sizing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:42 PM   #13
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

With the clutch hydraulics fixed, Adam put the air box and battery tray back. We also swapped out the dog bone. The round rubber part was loose in its steel hoop.
dogbones.jpg

I got the passenger side dogbone out. Our parts start arriving this Thursday according to Rock Auto.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2018, 09:04 AM   #14
ErikTande
ErikTande is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Squawks:
Foglights don't work
Driver window motor is weak
Rattles
Coolant reservoir light blinks
No horn
Brakes bad and pulsing
Clutch cylinder is bad. Hard to get into reverse and third grinds
Exhaust leak
Smoke out the back
Rear window tint coming off
Finish is poor, clear coat peeling.
I had a 98 SC2 for a short bit (traded it for a wagon) with a lot of the same issues. Fog lights just needed new bulbs, horn was bad (replaced from junkyard), needed new brakes, etc.

You can get a new key fob on ebay for $12, if it has power locks the fob will work. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replace...72.m2749.l2649

And you can take the tint off just fine. Don't use a razor (to avoid damaging rear defrost) and get a couple bottles of tint adhesive remover to make it easier.
http://i65.tinypic.com/2m3pmdd.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

Last edited by ErikTande; 04-17-2018 at 09:11 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:41 PM   #15
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I'm considering replacing the OEM fogs with LED fogs on my '97 SC2 eventually.

richpin has a video on replacing the horn, using an external relay - 2nd gen horns have an internal one prone to failure. I believe the video is based on some of OldNuc's older postings/schematics on a permanent fix for the 2nd gen horn issue.

Once you get the remote key fob (RKE), you can program it yourself but I think the horn has to be functional. At least, for some reason, I was not able to program an RKE on my SL2 even though I had done so successfully before.

Compatible part # for 2nd gen RKEs (that's a great price that ErikTande posted up, and for a new part no less!)

16245100-29

AB01502T <-- the first zero is often incorrectly listed on ebay listings as the letter O - so a good idea to search for both)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #16
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Cam cover off. #1 cylinder leaks oil into the spark plug hole.
cams.jpg

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #17
OldNuc

1998 SC2

From the picture is also looks to be leaking from the left end down into the bell housing and on the left end of the back side. If you plan on playing the plastic cover leak whack-a-leak game clean out the little recess just below the cover on the left end between head and EGR so you can see the oil leak clearly.

Clean all of those outer surfaces so you can locate leaks.

You can not see an oil leak. Clean off the head/cam cover joint with clean paper towels and brake cleaner until spotless. Start engine and allow to sit at idle until the fan is about to come on and then shut it off. Now take a ball of toilet paper and blot all around the head/cam cover joint and check the paper for signs of oil after every blot. If you do not find any oil give the car several hours to sit and cool then repeat toilet paper spot test.

A dry new gasket will reflect a mate color when you use a bright light to inspect it and any oil will be gloss. A mirror and LED light make this relatively easy and not that if there is road speed air flow or the fan comes on all you relly know is that it is leaking but not where.

The cover floats between the gasket and isolators so resist the temptation to torque down on the cover bolts as all that happens is they snap off. Acetone is about all that gets rid of all the oil film.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #18
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I pulled out the old gasket. It was a bit stiff. Looks a little milky inside.
milkshake.jpg
Lots of Rock Auto boxes showed up on my porch today.

Also, those metal things were RTVed on. Is that supposed to be? I don't remember that on the '99.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Those are the water-oil detraining sections so use RTV to reseal the sides or they quit working. Gunk is normal and not an issue. There is a seal on the 99 as well but probably not as sloppy as the older ones. DO NOT TRY and take those parts out of an aluminum cover as they are attached with drive screws. You will be into a major drill and tap episode.

There should be screws holding the 98 and older with an RTV seal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2018, 07:03 PM   #20
Waiex191
Advanced Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I noticed a couple things about the '98 Gen 2, different than the '99 Gen 2.5.
1) there are no clips to hold the spark plugs down.
2) it looks like bucket over shim valves - no funky roller hydraulic valve thing.

The old gasket was squashed flat. The cover was waaaay overtightened. Just like KNGRK9 reported, I kept it down to 89 ft-lbs. Only kidding, that is in-lbs. I took about a gallon of oil out of spark plug well #1.
seal water thing.jpg

All my parts have come.
IMG_20180420_185540_01.jpg

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!