SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1
Default Sun Visor question

has anyone swapped another sunvisor into a first gen SL?

unfortunately my drivers side broke tonight on the way home.

anyone have a decent one they'd part with?

Highmile
'95 SL1 649k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Sun Visor question

I recently saw someone who was looking to install a 2003 to 2007 Cadillac CTS sun-visor that looked like the mount was exactly like the S Series. I hadn't heard if it worked out for the poster though as far as the clip goes. It was less expensive than the S Series sun visors on eBay and an upgrade as the comes with lighting. Here's what the mount looks like.

Current rides
2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
cgg17
cgg17 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1999 SL2

Pm Sent

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cgg17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cgg17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cgg17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:30 AM   #4
mnementh
mnementh will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 SL1

I can confirm that the 2003-2007 Cadillac CTS sun visors fit my wife's 2000 SL1 nicely and look good, but you want to do this swap as part of recovering the headliner, as they are about 2" longer (Yes, they do clear the rear-view mirror just fine) and you have to move the pivot clips. This will leave the holes from the original pivot clips unfilled.

I'll update here with the details of my mod and some pics later when the headliner is finished.

In case I don't manage any time soon, here are the bullet points; I swear, I must've crawled through a hundred CTSes in the boneyard to gather this information:

1) I can only confirm the fitment of the vinyl lined visors from 2003-2007 Cadillac CTS as seen in the photo by trottida above. Older/Newer are covered in fabric and newer models often have a goofy "sunvisor on top of a sunvisor" arrangement. The fabric ones all look pretty nasty at this age, and many have started to rot like the SL1 visors chronically do. The vinyl cleans up pretty well, though, and even in the Texas sun they don't seem to get too yellowed.

2) There are some models that have a built-in universal garage door opener; these must be inspected carefully as they often have holes/voids where the skin has pulled away around the cutout for the opener. Remember too that they will need to have a 3rd power wire installed for the opener.

3) You also need to get the screws and the pivot clips from the donor vehicle; the base is made for these larger headed screws. But wait, you need two DRIVER'S SIDE clips, as the passenger side clip is different with a huge hole and a steel sleeve molded inside, with an m8 x 40mm machine thread bolt going through it. Yes, I saw this on multiple vehicles, so it is designed this way.

4) You need to pull the headliner down on the donor vehicle in the corner near where you unbolt the visor from, then reach in and skin back the wiring harness so you can get as much wire with the visor connector as possible. You can get around 3 feet if you skin as far back as you can reach; this will make it possible to route the wires out under the A-pillar plastic trim for connection later.

Cheers,

mnem
*Currently renovating my wife's 2001 SL1 that just turned 250,000 miles.*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mnementh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mnementh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:34 AM   #5
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a jewel in the roughMacgyver is a jewel in the roughMacgyver is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

OP needs a 1st gen visor (91-95) which is a 2 bolt mount. They're not compatible with the 96-02 visors. You'd have to drill/tap new holes which would be risky with how thin the roof is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:18 PM   #6
mnementh
mnementh will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 SL1

Meh.

I was responding to trottida, as his post was relevant to my own case, and turned out to be good advice, at least for me.

I can make a new thread when I have some pics to post.

I haven't had a 1st gen since my '92 became a victim of Saturn-on-Saturn violence with my brother-in-law at the wheel... It was about to turn 300k; it died much too young.

mnem
I need more ascii characters down here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mnementh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mnementh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #7
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

I did find visors some time ago and went with the 3 screw type that came in the later model saturns.

They are a bit bigger and overlap the indent in the headliner a bit but it's a small price to pay for having a functional sun visor when driving into the sunrise or sunset.

Highmile
'95 SL1 660k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote