SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2018, 08:22 PM   #321
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2
Default Re: 96 SC2 bringing it back to life (slowly)

With the AC on and in gear we have had a ruff idle. I cleaned EGR valve did not help I blocked off EGR.
That did not help. I thought I would go back to the basics.

I did a compression check.
1: 155 psi
2: 150 psi
3: 155 psi
4: 155 psi

I added oil and did the check again.
1: 190 psi
2: 185 psi
3: 185 psi
4: 185 psi

It looks like the compression rings are not seated.
The car is not using any oil at all.
Whatís the best way to get the rings to seat?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #322
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Drive it as they will seal when it is under load. Most likely the previous owner used a cheap oil and you have excessive wear, there is no way to reseat the rings other than running. Comet Cleanser down the intake is not recommended either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #323
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

This is the motor I rebuilt. Maybe I switched to mobile one oil to soon.

My son Is a very conservative driver I am not sure where that comes from.
I took it out after these readings and flipped the performance switch on.
I did a few red line runs maybe 6 or 7 maybe that will help seat the rings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #324
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I switched it back to dino oil 10-30. I took it out on Sunday and did about 15 runs from 30 mph to 70 mpg. I floored it to get to 70. I then let my foot off the gas and wet down to 30 mph.

Hopefully this will help seat the compression rings. It ran very strong and got 70 pretty fast. It does not run like it is low on compression.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #325
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You probably had dry rings and there is nothing wrong. A high quality synthetic stays in the upper cylinder much better than mineral based oil, any mineral based oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2018, 07:32 PM   #326
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

My rebuilt valve body from Central Valve bodies came in today.
Hope to get it put in on Sunday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #327
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Ok I really like VXDIAG Nano Tech2Win. I now know my VIN of the replacement PCM
1G8ZH1275TZ387557

I tried to do a crank angle sensor relearn. It would not do it because cylinder two had a miss.

I could then go to a graph to see the miss in real time.
I went and tested the air idle control. I was able to adjust the idle up and down 500 rpms no problem.

I took my other sonís 99 SC2 injectors and put them in the 96. Well that did it no more miss on the graph.

I did the Crank relearn the first try. Took it out for a test drive it ran great. The ODBII instant MPG on a 20 mile trip showed 29 MPG instead of the normal 24 mpg it has been getting.

I cleared the adaptive on the trans and did the relearn. No codes at all now.
My son drove it today and no codes it running great.

I went to a upull it today and got a set of injectors while I was there I pulled a cruise control module.

I put that in my sonís 96 and now the cruise control works.

It is so nice to finally find the issue for the codes for this car.
Just one afternoon with the Tech2Win I was able to fix this issue.
The graph would show the miss even if you could not feel it and it was not bad enough to pop a code. This was so useful.

Last edited by Mark_b; 05-20-2018 at 08:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2018, 08:47 AM   #328
OldNuc

1998 SC2

There have been lots of hard to detect and/or understand with the well aged injectors in these older GM/Saturn cars. The recommendation is to just up and replace them with the recommended new or refurbished Bosch injectors. May of the odd issues seen on here are caused by these aged injectors. Without what you are using it is impossible to demonstrate or prove the problem is injector caused so convincing someone to drop 80-100$ for a new set which may or may not solve problem is a tough sell. It is also a tough sell to suggest someone go out and spend 100-400$ for the diagnostic hardware and software to perform these diagnosis as there is not a lot of decent documentation as to how to use it.

When the ignition system, fuel delivery, exhaust system integrity, engine compression demonstrated adequate, and the problem persists then it is highly likely to be injectors.

It does make a difference exactly which Bosch injector number you buy.

You have done an excellent job bringing these cars back from a candidate for the junk yard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:24 AM   #329
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Thanks, and thanks for your help along the way! Thanks to others here that helped and the great search feature so useful.

The VXDIAG VCX Nano was $118.74 shipped so worth it.
I have the GDS2 (this is for newer cars) software running in a virtual machine to test on my 2018 Chevy Volt. I will be trying it out soon. The virtual machine comes on the DVD with the tool. It runs on 64-bit machines.

It is very cool to be able to use the same tool for 96 SC2 and a 2018 Volt.
You do use different software.

I would be glad to post a couple screen shots of what I used to see the miss. It was no hard. There is so much other stuff in that software that I need to read up on.

The smile on my sons face his first trip with no codes was great.

Things left to do on this one. I have a heat shield vibrating just above idle. The reverse still has a delay and engages harder when warm. The second valve body did not help. They suggested I tighten the input nut on this one also. It needs painted.

I canít wait until the next gas tank to see what MPG we will be getting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #330
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Awesome progress, thanks for the info on the VXDIAG Nano Tech2Win.

I may pull the trigger in a couple of months. Last year, was gonna pay a local dealer $50 to program my '02 key fob (could have driven out of town and had it done for $35, but time was short). Local dealer checked and said the fob was not working, no signal. I checked myself at the FLAPS and their RF checker picked up a signal. Had been wanting a working fob for a while so was contemplating going back and dropping the money, but this tool is not that much more.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:46 PM   #331
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I am very happy to say my son has put on a couple hundred miles on his car since the injector/Crank angle relearn.
No codes at all it has a great idle.

His round trip to school is about 40 miles so the miles add up quick.

I took his car to harbor freight to pick up a new floor jack I have been wanting. It is a low profile extended reach that will work great on the Saturns.

I also will lift 23 ĺĒ inches high and Minimum height is 2-5/8".
That is great for my new tall jack stands.

It is on close out for $99.97 sweet deal for a nice jack.
They are replacing it with a very nice Daytona floor jack but that jack cost $179 on sale.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-...ump-62310.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack.JPG (52.8 KB, 89 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #332
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Still no check engine light. Code free after two tanks of gas. My son got 27.4 MPG last tank this is better than the 24MPG he was getting.

The reverse slam was getting worse. Yesterday I tightened the input and installed a new output nut I used 3M TL71 SCOTCH-WELD Threadlocker on the input nut.
I changed the trans fluid.

It is shifting supper smooth now. Reverse is just like forward with hot or cold trans fluid.

Last edited by Mark_b; 05-28-2018 at 10:03 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-28-2018, 10:12 AM   #333
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is good news as swapping transmissions is a PITA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #334
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

We had the windows tinted for his birthday. The guy that tinted it said that car runs pretty darn good for a 22-year-old car.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180613_121413 (2).jpg (156.3 KB, 73 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #335
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Nice. tint makes a huge difference when you get in the car on a sunny day. Also makes the car look cooler, as well as feel cooler.

Re-doing the PO's DIY job is on my list of things to do. It's super dark, has a purplish tint from the inside, everything is blurry looking out, and bubbled in many places.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #336
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

He loves the tinted windows.

The car now has over 4,000 miles on the rebuilt motor.
It is using no oil and has no drips. Last tank was 27 mpg with AC on always. That is our best MPG so far but it does not get a lot HWY driving.

It is very hot here right now so AC is a must have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2018, 09:45 AM   #337
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

We are getting it ready to paint. Clear and paint has been removed it is almost ready to prime and sand again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180903_105930.jpg (135.7 KB, 36 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-04-2018, 10:24 AM   #338
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Very cool - our red SC2 needs paint in the worst way. I am tempted to try vinyl also. No rush though, too many other projects.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #339
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

It is a lot of work. I did the DA sander and my son did the spots you canít get to with the DA sander.
I donít really like to do body work. I have done it a few times in the past I like the end results.
I like the motor work much better but my boy was working hard on it. It is still a good father son experience he will always remember.
We have taken it farther that I thought getting rid of all clear. We my have a local guy spray it base coat and clear coat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #340
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Getting a little closer. My son taped it all off and we sanded it some more over the weekend.
Primed it on Sunday. Time to sand it again.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180909_155612.jpg (53.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 20180909_155625.jpg (87.6 KB, 25 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!